Quantcast

Marzocchi 380 C2R2 Ti & Moto C2R Shock

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
would be an option but you also play with the engagement of a screw-driller or kompress the cartridge. But for testing differenc shimstacks the procedure is a mess. I'll wait and see how this on-the-fly-shimstack-swapping with the 380 or the emerald works and might upgrade the cartridge or fork.

Lifer

Chimp
Apr 14, 2005
Houston, TX
My frame/parts order has been held up since last week waiting on a chain guide. I'm told it will ship today, so it'll be at least a week, probably more until I'm riding it. I'm told I got one of, if not the first 380 sold, but hopefully feedback will start trickling in before my build is done.
lifer did you ride the 380? any feedback?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'm told I got one of, if not the first 380 sold, but hopefully feedback will start trickling in before my build is done.
I'm really surprised we haven't seen any real "pro" reviews on the 380 yet. They must not have had any available to send to media outlets beforehand. It will be interesting to see if the performance is significantly better than a 888 and lives up to the price.

Lifer

Chimp
Apr 14, 2005
Houston, TX
Yes it will. Got my fingers crossed....my wallet still hurts.
I'm really surprised we haven't seen any real "pro" reviews on the 380 yet. They must not have had any available to send to media outlets beforehand. It will be interesting to see if the performance is significantly better than a 888 and lives up to the price.

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
We have a couple of 380's hitting the warehouse next week. Sean and I both have spent a fair amount of time on stock and work's tune 888's over years. We'll post up a quick review as soon as we get on it.

Last edited:

Lifer

Chimp
Apr 14, 2005
Houston, TX
That will be good info. BTW, I'm Pete McCann in Houston. Recently bought a One from you Guys. Very nice frame :)
We have a couple of 380's hitting the warehouse next week. Sean and I both have been a fair amount of time on 888's over years and my last Evo ti was works tuned at Rampage for me. We'll post up a quick review as soon as we get on it.

Dude!

Chimp
Dec 18, 2010
Lifer - thanks for the information. This is very beneficial.

I had a Fox 40 Coil. However I fell into between spring sizes and just never really meshed with it.
I switched to Marz 888, but the stock spring was too soft and the dampening was a bit off. I got a works tune by Ronnie which dramatically improved the fork. However, it still needed more a bit more tuning. This is the frustrating part of fork.

I recently switch to the Fox 40 Float so that I would have more end-user adjustment. I had some initial issues that required a Fox warranty. I do have much more end user control and am much closer to dialing it in for my riding style.

I still miss the plushness of the Marz and the 380 was high one list, but it seems to expensive particularly with the additional requirements for the average heavier rider.

Keep us updated!!!

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
would be an option but you also play with the engagement of a screw-driller or kompress the cartridge. But for testing differenc shimstacks the procedure is a mess. I'll wait and see how this on-the-fly-shimstack-swapping with the 380 or the emerald works and might upgrade the cartridge or fork.
Had a little play with a 380 today, no impact wrench for the footnuts! Also features a nifty dropstop-style anti bottoming system which should work pretty sweet. Haven't pulled a cartridge apart yet though

katsooba

Chimp
Jul 27, 2012
Got my 380 today :)
coming from a 2010 WC\AVY boxxer, this fork is PLUUUUUUSH
like riding on marshmallows :)

my boxxer\avy was 2.680 grams, the 380 is 2.800

some pics

IMG-20131226-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20131226-WA0029.jpg
IMG-20131226-WA0031.jpg
IMG-20131226-WA0033.jpg

Last edited:

GodSmack

Chimp
May 27, 2013
BC
Its not pweety enuf!!!!!!
Seriously. Marz tried to save weight by using less oil. Bad move. Semi open bath? bad idea. So much for owning a fork that I just need to maintain once a year.
Actualy marz still has parts for my 55,s and my Shivers so its all good.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
Can one of you 380 owners post up the axle to crown dimension on your fork, and where your lower crown is with respect to the min line? The Marzocchi website says the fork length is 581mm, but I am not sure exactly what that means. What I would really like to know is what is the minimum A2C for the fork.

Thanks

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
Need a new fork (as i have just sold mine) and looking at the 380 but looking at the info on hear worried that the spring it comes with will be to soft I weigh 190lbs and wondering if the stock spring would work with that weight as if I had to buy a new one would put me off the fork. Also I see the fork now runs 60ml of oil in each leg. Does that 60ml in the dampener leg also get used/cycled through the cartridge? If so that could take up to 30ml not leaving a lot of oil for that plush Marzocchi feel?
I did just sell a set of 888 evo rc3's and they did feel plush and was hoping to upgrade to the 380 . But if that is the case with the spring and oil. I might have to go with the Boxxer r2c2 as it's cheaper, comes with spring but I am happy to do the maintenance to keep them feeling nice.

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
Need a new fork (as i have just sold mine) and looking at the 380 but looking at the info on hear worried that the spring it comes with will be to soft I weigh 190lbs and wondering if the stock spring would work with that weight as if I had to buy a new one would put me off the fork. Also I see the fork now runs 60ml of oil in each leg. Does that 60ml in the dampener leg also get used/cycled through the cartridge? If so that could take up to 30ml not leaving a lot of oil for that plush Marzocchi feel?
I did just sell a set of 888 evo rc3's and they did feel plush and was hoping to upgrade to the 380 . But if that is the case with the spring and oil. I might have to go with the Boxxer r2c2 as it's cheaper, comes with spring but I am happy to do the maintenance to keep them feeling nice.
Heya mate
I'd go for the 380 .Last weekend I rode one of these for 2 runs and it's super plush if not plusher than the old 888 Ti V2 and it ramps even better :D .
The guy who owns it is like 175-180 and he said it's all right but all this is personal preference. I am only 150 lbs and quite liked it .
The Boxxers are deffo downgrade unless with some aftermarket cartridge :P

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I might have to go with the Boxxer r2c2 as it's cheaper, comes with spring but I am happy to do the maintenance to keep them feeling nice.
If the trouble of changing a spring would make you buy a boxxer over a 380, then it's time to reevaluate your priorities. That boxxer would be 1000x worse than the 888 you just dumped. It probably takes 5 minutes to swap springs. You're going to be doing 30-60 minute maintenances on that boxxer every 5-10 rides.

Last edited:

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
If the trouble of changing a spring would make you buy a boxxer over a 380, then it's time to reevaluate your priorities. That boxxer would be 1000x worse than the 888 you just dumped. It probably takes 5 minutes to swap springs. You're going to be doing 30-60 minute maintenances on that boxxer every 5-10 rides.
I understand you don't like the Boxxer but they are still an ok fork and with maintenance can be a good fork to have on the front of your bike so don't be so hard on them. Back up from SRAM in the UK is 1000x better that Marzocchi which is also a big consideration.
It's not the time it takes to change the spring but the cost the 380 isn't a cheap fork and if I had to buy an expensive spring on top then that would put me off.
The Boxxer R2C2 is reasonably price and comes with spare fork springs, it might not be the best fork but a safe bet.
I did like the feel of my 888 and were supper smooth but the uppers wore (score marks from tight bushes) within the first few weeks and it took six months to sort it out!
But they preformed well so I am still interested in 380 but just interested to know if the stock spring would be too light for me and how the cartridge affects oil levels.
I ran the 888 with the stock spring with quite a bit of preload and volume adjust. The fork had about 30% sag felt very soft but in use was fine. It did dive quite a bit and sit deep into its travel but I hear this is one of the big improvements of the 380. If the 380 feels as plush as the 888 but sat higher in its travel it could be an amazing fork.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I understand you don't like the Boxxer but they are still an ok fork and with maintenance can be a good fork to have on the front of your bike so don't be so hard on them. Back up from SRAM in the UK is 1000x better that Marzocchi which is also a big consideration.
It's not the time it takes to change the spring but the cost the 380 isn't a cheap fork and if I had to buy an expensive spring on top then that would put me off.
The Boxxer R2C2 is reasonably price and comes with spare fork springs, it might not be the best fork but a safe bet.
I did like the feel of my 888 and were supper smooth but the uppers wore (score marks from tight bushes) within the first few weeks and it took six months to sort it out!
But they preformed well so I am still interested in 380 but just interested to know if the stock spring would be too light for me and how the cartridge affects oil levels.
I ran the 888 with the stock spring with quite a bit of preload and volume adjust. The fork had about 30% sag felt very soft but in use was fine. It did dive quite a bit and sit deep into its travel but I hear this is one of the big improvements of the 380. If the 380 feels as plush as the 888 but sat higher in its travel it could be an amazing fork.
The 60ml in each leg is the lube oil only, the cartridge itself is filled up separately and takes another ~100m or so. I rebuilt a couple of our team forks recently and they were still clean inside the damper after 4 or 5 months of thrashing!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
hopefully the 380 is a little moar stiff than the 888

I've seen pics of Fox40's flexing like that. Pretty sure anyway. Having a slab of meat dressed in pajamas bottom out a bike made from thin aluminum tubing... something's gonna flex.

Edit. In the Fox thread just below, there's talk that Fox has tweaked the 40 to have more flex. Translates into less rider fatigue.

Last edited:

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
The 60ml in each leg is the lube oil only, the cartridge itself is filled up separately and takes another ~100m or so. I rebuilt a couple of our team forks recently and they were still clean inside the damper after 4 or 5 months of thrashing!
Cheers for the info that's good to know. I am leaning more to the 380 might have to make my mind up next week! I think I will just be on the end scale of the stock spring. The only way to really know is to try it.

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
Hey kids, still no good reviews of the 380 that I can find, beyond 'first impression' type stuff, anyone here got any feedback or can point me in the direction of some?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
try the german forums, yt delivered the ltd tues last week, there should be plenty of riders now out there that have one...
Yup, a friend got his. Rode that only around the parking lot, had no rebound damping for some reason. Supposedly it works now but it was strange.