Quantcast

Marzocchi 380 C2R2 Ti & Moto C2R Shock

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
6lbs for buttery smooth coil sprungness? yes please. hopefully in 26" too
From what their website says, the 2014 888 and 380 both have an offset of 46mm. So unless they make a whole new set of lowers to move the axle out for 2015, it'll still be 26 and 27.5 compatible.

Last edited:

voltaren

Chimp
May 21, 2013
Do the 888 and 380 employ the same stanchions? Would be interesting to know whether or not the 380 csa/upper crown are compatible with the 888 cr. Just would like the tapered steerer and flat crowns, 'cuz the latter look sexy. Buuut, if i buy a 888cr, ava cart, and a 380 csa, I'm probably in 380 country price wise anyway...

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
Possibly a dumb question, but if I had an x-firm spring in my 2010 888 evo's and it was too hard (despite being the right spring for my weight according to Marzocchi) would it be any different in the 380? Or shall I go for the firm spring i was teetering on putting in my 888's before I sold them?

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
What do you think?
Well, I think I think what you think, but with different oil levels, damping and adjustment capabilities, was just wondering if this allowed any different parameters on spring choice before I go drop another $100 on a spring.. thanks.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Total speculation on my part, but since the 380 comp damper is different from the 888 EVO, I would hope/think the suggested spring rates would be pretty accurate with the 380. I have a 2010 888 EVO, and went with the firm spring based on my weight and how soft the stock spring felt, but like your experience with the x-firm, it was way too hard IMO. Ended up going back to the stock spring, adding oil to the spring side, and using a little moar compression, which feels pretty good to me, but admittedly is an imperfect solution. I think the real issue with my 888 is the shim stack, which in theory I could change so that the firm spring would work w/o making the fork feel like a jackhammer. Anyway, I'm assuming Marz has a much more refined damper in the 380, so I'd say go with the x-firm if that is what is recommended.

Last edited:

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
Total speculation on my part, but since the 380 comp damper is different from the 888 EVO, I would hope/think the suggested spring rates would be pretty accurate with the 380. I have a 2010 888 EVO, and went with the firm spring based on my weight and how soft the stock spring felt, but like your experience with the x-firm, it was way too hard IMO. Ended up going back to the stock spring, adding oil to the spring side, and using a little moar compression, which feels pretty good to me, but admittedly is an imperfect solution. I think the real issue with my 888 is the shim stack, which in theory I could change so that the firm spring would work w/o making the fork feel like a jackhammer. Anyway, I'm assuming Marz has a much more refined damper in the 380, so I'd say go with the x-firm if that is what is recommended.
Well I've gone the other way. i've ordered a firm. After the x-firm I had, I'd rather be under sprung than over sprung if it's wrong, atleast I'll be able to ride while i wait on a new spring if it goes that way!

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
So just got my 380's delivered today, there is in fact a second spring with them, anyone know what it is? Pretty sure it's steel, and the plastic has green paint on it.. hoping it's a firm? No info at all on what it is..

Last edited:
May 1, 2005
So just got my 380's delivered today, there is in fact a second spring with them, anyone know what it is? Pretty sure it's steel, and the plastic has green paint on it.. hoping it's a firm? No info at all on what it is..
I'm guessing you're mates with Mark? I got mine yesterday and word in the street (via you, via NS Dynamics I think) is that it's the firm spring...

Have just finished fitting mine to my trusty V10. Can't tell you how good they look on my bike!

Dunndog

Chimp
Sep 19, 2012
Ha yep Andy thats me, and yep yr v10 looks sweet mate! Just got on here to update my question with an answer, but taken care of by your good self. Nice one. So i'm running your forks and marks frame.. we could do a darwinian train..

May 1, 2005
Ha yep Andy thats me, and yep yr v10 looks sweet mate! Just got on here to update my question with an answer, but taken care of by your good self. Nice one. So i'm running your forks and marks frame.. we could do a darwinian train..
Oh man, that's all kind a weird!

May 1, 2005
Okay so a bit of a review on the 380's. I'll start by saying Marzocchi are hopeless in terms of providing any base tune settings (apparently Marzocchi UK are working to rectify this, seeing that their bosses in Italy aren't on top of it). Also the user manual is really disappointing. The internals have been designed so that any rider can further tweak their tune - Marzocchi have been big on this - however there is absolutely no explanation as to how to do this. So I actually started with a base tune similar to my 40's just to get me out on the trail. The great news is that within a few runs, with some tweaking they were starting to feel great.

Some observations - they're silent! I mean like a ninja. I didn't realise my 40's actually made noise until my first run on these. Nice!
As pretty much every review has stated, the small bump compliance is phenomenal. I figured arm pump would be the test here - I should say that it's not an entirely accurate one because I've also been going pretty hard with the kettle bells to get my wrist and grip strength improved these past few weeks. So in what I'm going to assume is combination of factors, my arm pump is significantly better than it has been my whole time riding. Given it's only been about two weeks of strength work I have to conclude that the forks made a big difference here. You just don't notice them working. Oh, did I mention light? They're noticeably lighter in the front end. Popping my first manual made this immediately apparent!

They're super plush but never bottomed out - even off some big drops and super high speed g-outs etc. The only negative so far in this area is that the ramp up at the very bottom of the stroke is a fraction sudden/harsh. I'm sure further tuning will resolve this though, and the internal tuning tweaks one can make apparently impact on this so let's see how we go after a few more rides. First impressions though? I was smiling at the bottom of each run and, anytime I was asked about the forks, was kind of shaking my head at how buttery smooth they felt. Definitely some work to get them 100% but, straight out of the box they're fantastic and a beautiful match to my beloved V10!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
The only negative so far in this area is that the ramp up at the very bottom of the stroke is a fraction sudden/harsh. I'm sure further tuning will resolve this though, and the internal tuning tweaks one can make apparently impact on this so let's see how we go after a few more rides.
I've read in a german forum, that the last 4-5cm of travel are controlled by an elastomer to get that ramp, which causes problems with light riders because they can't get full travel. They are starting to cut that thing out of the fork.
Anyone else with this problem? Seems like a poor solution to me. Just get a hydraulic bump stop a la BOS & Manitou in there!

Last edited:

Bealsie7

Chimp
May 25, 2014
My opinion would be that the suggested spring rates are poor at best.

I weigh 155lbs ready to ride and they claim the standard spring is for 155-185lbs which was a big factor in me deciding to buy it, I have the settings all maxxed out yet it is still unrideable!

Now waiting for the hard spring to arrive...

Wetbed0

Chimp
Dec 17, 2013
Colorado
So, have you checked the oil height? Oil weight? Shims? There's a lot more you can change before getting on a new spring. Check out the 888 tuning thread, guys 200+ figured out how to use the stock spring. Don't give up yet.

Bealsie7

Chimp
May 25, 2014
Surely if the fork feels that soft and has 23% sag it needs a stiffer spring.

Had a Fox 40 before and that had about 12% which at times didn't quite feel enough, I was hoping the Marzocchi would be around 15%...

After riding the standard spring, having a crash and ending up in hospital I'm not sure I'd ever feel confident to push it hard.

purezerg

Chimp
Jun 1, 2014
I've read in a german forum, that the last 4-5cm of travel are controlled by an elastomer to get that ramp, which causes problems with light riders because they can't get full travel. They are starting to cut that thing out of the fork.
Anyone else with this problem? Seems like a poor solution to me. Just get a hydraulic bump stop a la BOS & Manitou in there!

eh? so that's the reason why my friends and i always have that last 3-5cm of unusable travel.

any solutions to this?

purezerg

Chimp
Jun 1, 2014
4 riders on 380
rider 1: 60kg fully loaded, left 5cm
rider 2: 75kg fully loaded (me) left 4-5cm
rider 3: 90kg fully loaded, left 4cm
rider 4: 105kg fully loaded, left 3cm @ 38% sag.
all 4 of us using stock springs.

none of us have taken apart our 380 yet.

but rider 4, huck to flat from 4m drop. broke his i-beam saddle, his 380 still left 2cm. he's riding a intense m9.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Anyone know if a Ti spring from a 888 evo will fit in the 380?

Edit... searched this thread and I got my answer.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Didn't want to create a new thread to ask this, but can anyone tell me the oil stock levels for the 350 CR fork?

Last edited:

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
Is the 380 27.5 compatible or not? I remember seeing something about this when they first came out but can find any info on it now and some spec sheets I have found for the fork just says wheel size 26".

katsooba

Chimp
Jul 27, 2012
any of you tried unbolting the spring cap and compress the fork damper to find out the problem?
could it be the damper side? or the spring side?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Is the 380 27.5 compatible or not? I remember seeing something about this when they first came out but can find any info on it now and some spec sheets I have found for the fork just says wheel size 26".
It's compatible with both from what I was told. Looks like the offset is the same as the 888 but has more arch clearance for the larger wheel.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
according to what Marz USA said on pinkbike, it is

"the idea to retire the 888 series was made to favor the 380 platform as the lowers are lighter and stiffer and can accommodate 26" AND 27.5" wheels. the C2R2 damping is more advanced than the Rc3 was also. We will offer the 380 in a CR model (the 888 CR was an amazing fork) so we basically changed the form factor of the 888 CR. Retail prices are really nice for them all as well. The DBC system is more reliable and offers a more constant damping. A 2015 model 380 CR will run only $849 USD where a C2R2 non Ti will run $1129 USD"

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Marzocchi USA's customer service, just treated me real well when dealing with my 13' 888cr fork. Had my fork back in 7days and working as good as new. Just throwing that out there..

I really want that 380 c2r2.

Wolfe

Chimp
Aug 1, 2011
N.E England
Hi peeps

Just acquired myself a 2015 380 R2C2 and the spring installed in the forks is raw with a light green paint stripe. I don't suppose anyone can shed some light on what rating it is? Reading back through the thread suggests it's a firm steel (that's if the springs are the same as a 888 evo fork, page 2 i think) but would like some confirmation if possible.

Cheers

Last edited:

Wolfe

Chimp
Aug 1, 2011
N.E England
Thanks for the reply UDI. It's the none Ti version i've got and looks like i've got the firm steel in there. Looking forward to how they perform against the boxxer wc's I had on previous.