Quantcast

Marzocchi 66 ATA Pressure setup

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
Anyone got any input into the amount of pressure I should be running in the fork? It seems like the Marzocchi recommended pressure is ridiculously off the chart. If I ran it at their recommended I'd get more travel from a rigid fork.

Right now the fork is fairly new and not broken in yet but I am running

103 psi in the top air chamber
120 psi in the Par chamber
0 psi in the preload chamber

and I weigh about 195lbs

snojcb

Chimp
Sep 27, 2007
Cary, NC
I weigh 210 and am only doing some XC riding right now. I can't afford a FR bike and a XC bike, so my Morewood Shova LT is my (38 lbs) do it all bike. I live in the piedmont of NC and I have my '07 66 ATA SL1 set at 85psi top, 130 bottom, 0 in the RC2 leg.

I just bottomed the fork out on a 4' to-flat drop, so that setting is fine for XC, but I need more air if I want to hit any decent stuff.

By the way, a Marz rep I talked to made it very clear to me that I must never have less than 30psi difference between the top and bottom pressures. You're running about 20psi difference, so I thought I'd mention to you that only a 20psi difference could damage your fork.

J. C.

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
Thanks, I'll probably drop the positve air down. I was looking at some sort of page from Marzocchi that was specific setup for the ATA and it said that you must never run LOWER in the par leg than in the top leg. You can run it up to the same amount. lemme find it.

http://www.marzocchi.com/System/55345/ATA SETUP.pdf

The page is for 07, mine is 08 I d guessing they should still be fairly similiar.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
^^^^^ You are correct. Their recommended settings place the par pressure 30 psi above the SFA, and then they warn never to let the PAR fall below the SFA. I'm running SFA=95, and the PAR=100 in my 888 SL. I weigh 200, and I can get 7"s of travel in my driveway. I have get to do any serious riding on it yet so my settings might change.

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
yea So rite now i have aobut 90 in postive and i think im gonna dorp the PAR down to 105 or so since I like to stay close to the ground don't think ill ever get much bigger than 2-3ft on my regular trail. Hopefully squeeze a bit more squish outta the fork.

supermoto

Chimp
Apr 20, 2008
New to my 08 66 ata... is this correct:

top right leg:main chamber
top left leg: preload
bottom right leg: par valve

...and you are suppose to run 30psi over on the par valve right? What kind of pressures are you running? I weigh 140lb. Also what is the maximum or range of pressures you are suppose to run? Can you run 0psi in the preload?

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I run 0 psi in the preload.

Don't worry about what other people run for pressure. Unless you weigh exactly the same and ride exactly the same, their settings mean nothing to you.

Set your main chamber to give you 20% sag. Set the ATA 30psi more. Go ride and see how it feels. If it's too stiff, drop the pressure accordingly, too soft add more. It's not rocket science.

I usually run 3 or 4 clicks of low speed compression to reduce brake dive.