Quantcast

marzocchi 66 info?????

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
I have been considering a 66 for sometime now for an urban/fr fork but I am also kinda into the whole weight savings thing so I would get the lightest one, however when I jumped on the Marzzochi web site tonight this is what I found:

66light 3225gm with steer = 7.11 lbs
66rc2x 3200gm with steer = 7.05 lbs
66SL weight not announced
66vf2 3195gm with steer = 7.04lbs

I don't know a whole lot about the SL model, but I assumed it would be the lighest but I still don't know. So can someone explain to me why the 66rc2x weighs less then the 66light? Is this a misprint on the marz websight? And what is the weight for a 66SL?

Comments, suggestions?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No, those weights are wrong.

The weight of the fork as listed in the "66" product section INCLUDES the steerer.

My 66 Light ETA was about 6.4lbs.

The 66SL is about 5.6lbs with axle.

For example, marzocchi says the 66 Light ETA weighs 2970g W/steerer tube (255g). That means that the fork weighs 2970g. If you want to know how much it weighs without the steerer tube, subtract 255 from 2970.

Next, go to the "weight/axle to crown" table in the tech area. This lists the 66 Light ETA with out the steerer as 2715g. 2715+255=2970g or 6.54lbs. That is the target weight, I'm not sure why mine weighs a little less than that, but I'm not complaining.

The 66RC2x is 30g lighter than the 66 Light ETA, thats .066 lbs. The 66 Light ETA is just a name, it's the heaviest one of the batch, but only by a hair. The 66 Light ETA also includes the RC2 damping cartridge, so that feature, plus the not-too heavy weight, plus the 40mm decreased axle to crown, plus the ETA feature made it a sure shot for my purposes. Get the RC2x if you don't care about climbing.

It's pretty amazing that its the same weight as, stiffer than, and has more travel than my original boxxer. Technology has come a long way. For those that make love to boxxers, I'll also say those things apply to the 66 vs my old 1998 Super T as well.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
The SL is light enough to make it a good climbing fork, and it can actually be reduced to below 150mm, contrary to what the Marz. webite says. In this pic, it's set at 150mm of travel.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
How is the ride quality on the SL? I have been impressed with how much progress air forks have made in the last few years. Does it feel like an air fork or is it nice a plush?

sampo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2005
Well I've just swapped over to the 66SL from a set of Stendec tuned 03 Super T's and the fork is smoother and more controlled in all situations. It feels very sticky for the first 5 or so hours of riding due to all the seals bedding in, however now it feels like a top line coil fork. I cannot feel a difference in stiffness between it and the super T, it just holds the line. I owned an 03 zocchi z1 SL a while back and I can say that the technology has moved on so far, I think that air is here to stay. Maybe they are not there yet with rear shocks but with forks, well Rockshox have released the air world cup boxxer, which the blackbox team have been racing for a few seasons now, and zocchi have released this thing.

The SL also benefits from being so adjustable - it has the same damping as the RC2X model, except that the 'X' endstoke hydraulic system is replaced by an air endstroke control called PAR, allowing you to control how progressive the fork is. The main compression and rebound damper (RC2) is identical. Also, the fork can run happily at 100mm travel, great for urban or DJs. When combined with a weight of sub 6lb, it starts to look like a real competitor to the zocchi dirtjumper series for urban/dj...

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Nice review there Sampo; my SL is still early in the break in process so I still have quite a bit of stiction, but I concur that this fork feels so much like a coil fork, that if you didn't know you were riding an air fork, you may not be able to tell the difference. I have an '04 super T still, so I will be doing back to back comparisons after the SL breaks in.

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
My 66SL came in at 5.44lbs w/o the axle and full steerer and 5.66 w/ the axle and full steerer. I used a Feedback Sports digi scale - same as JNC but it's yellow.

If anyone is considering a 2006 MY 66 and you ride a small frame or have a short head tube you will most likely need the Cane Creek S-3 Plus 5. It has a 5mm taller lower cup stack height vs the standard S models or a special lower crown race for Chris King headsets made by Ventana. It comes in 4mm and 7mm sizes. I have a RCH of clearance with the 4mm race.

Here is what it looks like at 130mm of travel on my Pack.

It's still fairly new with 5 rides and is starting to loosen up a bit.

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Renegade said:
Hey Noob, your shock is mounted upside down!:nope: :nuts: :eviltongu :confused: :drool: :)

For those wondering MY = Model Year

For Renegade - You're just jealous that I got a Rare frame that allows for the correct shock orientation:blah:

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
ssinga said:
My 66SL came in at 5.44lbs w/o the axle and full steerer and 5.66 w/ the axle and full steerer. I used a Feedback Sports digi scale - same as JNC but it's yellow.

If anyone is considering a 2006 MY 66 and you ride a small frame or have a short head tube you will most likely need the Cane Creek S-3 Plus 5. It has a 5mm taller lower cup stack height vs the standard S models or a special lower crown race for Chris King headsets made by Ventana. It comes in 4mm and 7mm sizes. I have a RCH of clearance with the 4mm race.

Here is what it looks like at 130mm of travel on my Pack.

It's still fairly new with 5 rides and is starting to loosen up a bit.

noob or not, I like your ride!

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
One day, someday, the Noob Smurf edition will grow up and look more like:

Someday, if it eats well, goes to school, gets good grades, etc.

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Thanks!

Yes, I am a Ride Monkey newb as I normally post on MTBR. Renegade is just giving me a hard time as normal. :cool:

You will notice his bike is inside and mine is out in it's natural habitat. Renny - do you ever ride that shop ornament?

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Giving SSINGA a hard time is my full time job. The hours suck, but the rewards are great.
Ride it? It would get dirty if I rode it!
Winter is back in colorado, riding is a little harder to come by right now.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...yes mr. demon, that IS a 66 SL.

It started out on this:

The last time I saw her she looked like this:

...hurry back baby!

...soon to have a motif more like this:

Jm_ said:
It's pretty amazing that its the same weight as, stiffer than, and has more travel than my original boxxer. Technology has come a long way. For those that make love to boxxers, I'll also say those things apply to the 66 vs my old 1998 Super T as well.
Hey now, let's not be putting the '98 Super in the same cardboard box as a Boxxer. :nope: ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
SprungShoulders said:
Hey now, let's not be putting the '98 Super in the same cardboard box as a Boxxer. :nope: ;)
Well, I wasn't comparing quality of travel...That was mysteriously missing for a reason.;)