Quantcast

Marzocchi 888, one more time

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
After looking at the 888, I know its the fork I want for my new 303WCDH.

We've done this thread before, I know this because I started it.

So these are my options as I see them.

1. Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo Ti V.2 Fork 2012.
What pauses me here is the idea that I can't get the Ti springs in "extra fat ass" to support my weight.

2. Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo V.2 Fork 2012
Put the extra firm springs in, and away we go. The most simple of the ideas.

3. Marzocchi 888 RCV Fork 2012
This is the cheapest fork. Buy this, get the Avy cart, put that in there, change out the weights of the oil, and see how long it lasts.

About me as a rider:
245lb.
No skill
Put the bike hung over the tail gate of my truck
Live in AZ now, but I travel a lot, so I need to be able to change things a little depending on conditions.

Thanks again, again.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
2: Best value, but does not have nickel coated stanchions. I haven't ridden a non-nickel marz to know how much of a difference it makes. My guess is: not a lot.

You're right, buying the high zoot fork and ditching the most expensive piece of it kind of seems dumb.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Forget the nickel, Black stanchions are possibly even slipperier, never heard otherwise. My Nickel stanchions wore through the nickel coat resting over a tail gate(with padding) with mud on them. Not sure what would've happened to the blacks or any other forks though.
I'd also forget the Avvy cart unless you already own it. 888 one is pretty similar anyway(no mid stroke but chamber size can be reduced in 888 leg with oil heights or the ramp up adjuster).

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
I am fairly certain that you can get a Ti spring in extra firm. I was talking to my LBS about one last year. That should be plenty firm for someone over 100kg.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I am fairly certain that you can get a Ti spring in extra firm. I was talking to my LBS about one last year. That should be plenty firm for someone over 100kg.
yes, you can. and if thats not enough, you can always play with oil height.
im 220lbs on the stock Ti spring with extra oil added.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
if you go the 888rcv route, you will probably need to drill out or at least run the full open on the compression damper, rcv uses the damping rod system with one leg compression and one leg rebound damper. idk if the spring will fit, if not you will end up with one very soft spring. the cr might be a safer bet.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I'm about the same weight as you, running the 2012 RC3 EVO. I haven't got my hands on a set of X-firm springs yet but you'll want them. I've got no complaints about the fork at all though.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Put my order into Universal. Got the Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo V.2 Fork 2012. Was able to get everything I needed for the bike, sans the frame, for under $1600. I'm pleased.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I got some 4 years out of my 888. And I rode that thing like I'd paid $700 for an hour at the bunny ranch.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
good choice...after a ton of time deciding, i went with the v2 non Ti on my 450, and it's just simply amazing. I'm such a fan of that fork!