Quantcast

Marzocchi All Mountain 4

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Hey Guys,

I ride a 05 Santa Cruz Bullit with a modded 04 Super T (cartridges in both legs) I love the feel, but my knee caps don't.

Winter riding means loss of rear wheel traction during (rooted, moss rocks mud, etc) climbs. The creates lots of Knee to clamp pain.

I see several 160mm travel AM4s for sale. Are they decent or comparable to my Super T?

I ride more Cross country than Downhill and I don't have the budget for a 66rc, or VF for that matter.

Is the AM a good option?

Thanks

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
No. There are some significant internal differences. Short answer is the AMs suck performance wise, but are reliable enough. The All Mountains perform somewhat better, but the odds of one lasting are up there with the propability that psp ever spells all the words in a post correctly.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Nah, they're reliable enough, as I said earlier. The damping is just caveman technology, so they don't respond well to repeated hits. If you plow thorugh a rock garden at speed, for example, the fork gets sluggish and unresponsive after a couple hits. They're also fairly heavy. If you're looking for somthing cheap to beat on it'd be OK, but if you're looking for a high performance fork, look elsewhere.

The All Mountains have issues with the damper blowing up, and the SL1 had problems with the travel adjuster winding itself down.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think your Super T is HSCV damped. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm right, the AM is a significant step backwards.