Quantcast

marzocchi all mountain anyone?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hey hey, I'm looking for feedback on the Marzocchi All Mountain 1 and SL. Anyone have any comments good or bad? People seem stoked on the AM 1 but I have found very little info about people's experiences with the SL. The AM 1 is more adjustable and versatile but also at least 1/2 lb heavier. This is probably for a blur LT and will be under my 200 lbs and some aggressive XC/trailriding in the Bay Area, Norcal. Thanks.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I was just considering those two forks for my chameleon as well, but ended up with a Sherman Firefly instead. My reasons were these:

AM1 - $440 - 10% @ JensonUSA was still more than I was willing to spend. That's it, really. If it had been cheaper than the Sherman, I probably would have picked it up.

AMSL - -$419 - 20% + $.99 shipping @ Performance is a great deal. But it's an air fork, of which I'm a little skeptical. (having ridden other air forks, they just don't feel like a coil) No ETA or TAS. No ETA was the deal killer. I want to be able to lower the front end for extended or steep climbing.

Sherman Firefly - $329 @ Greenfish. Recommended by numerous people, and seemingly a hot commodity in the used market because there are virtualy none on Ebay. 130/90mm, so reducable travel for climbing. Coil sprung, air preload, adjustable SPV, and stiff.

After a few rides on the Sherman, I couldn't be happier with my choice. Super solid fork, tracks beautifully, and didn't jack up my front end too much (was riding a 105mm MX Comp ETA). The 90mm travel option is great for climbing as it not only reduces the height, but also increases the spring rate, effectively firming the ride while climbing. I haven't fiddled with the SPV too much, but even with just half a turn of volume, it bobs much less than my old Zoke.

Although theres nothing that feels like a Marzocchi coil fork (so smooth, I swear you can just feel the oil cycling through the valves), I'm VERY happy with the Sherman and would recommend it to anyone.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
punk said:
I was just considering those two forks for my chameleon as well, but ended up with a Sherman Firefly instead. My reasons were these:

AM1 - $440 - 10% @ JensonUSA was still more than I was willing to spend. That's it, really. If it had been cheaper than the Sherman, I probably would have picked it up.

AMSL - -$419 - 20% + $.99 shipping @ Performance is a great deal. But it's an air fork, of which I'm a little skeptical. (having ridden other air forks, they just don't feel like a coil) No ETA or TAS. No ETA was the deal killer. I want to be able to lower the front end for extended or steep climbing.

Sherman Firefly - $329 @ Greenfish. Recommended by numerous people, and seemingly a hot commodity in the used market because there are virtualy none on Ebay. 130/90mm, so reducable travel for climbing. Coil sprung, air preload, adjustable SPV, and stiff.

After a few rides on the Sherman, I couldn't be happier with my choice. Super solid fork, tracks beautifully, and didn't jack up my front end too much (was riding a 105mm MX Comp ETA). The 90mm travel option is great for climbing as it not only reduces the height, but also increases the spring rate, effectively firming the ride while climbing. I haven't fiddled with the SPV too much, but even with just half a turn of volume, it bobs much less than my old Zoke.

Although theres nothing that feels like a Marzocchi coil fork (so smooth, I swear you can just feel the oil cycling through the valves), I'm VERY happy with the Sherman and would recommend it to anyone.
I am less concerned with price than performance, durability, maintenance issues, etc. I agree that the ETA is a great feature and also prefer the feel of a coil, and am probably going with the AM1. I've had (and in fact still have) different manitou forks including a minute 3 and a sherman and have not been pleased with the ride feel, especially with SPV. But thanks...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
I am less concerned with price than performance, durability, maintenance issues, etc. I agree that the ETA is a great feature and also prefer the feel of a coil, and am probably going with the AM1. I've had (and in fact still have) different manitou forks including a minute 3 and a sherman and have not been pleased with the ride feel, especially with SPV. But thanks...
I have been waiting for a response as well. I think the biggest problem with getting an answer is that no one has one. The only company I know of last year which spec'ed them was Rocky Mountain.

Besides RM, I cannot think of another company which used the Marathon or the AM line.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Didn't mean to come off as a salesman for Manitou, just sharing my decision process.

As I said, I probably would have bought the AM1 if cost were not a concern, but it certainly was for me. I'm very happy with the Sherman, and I'm sure you'll love the AM1. Maintenance should be less with the AM1 as well due to the full oil bath lubrication.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
sanjuro said:
I have been waiting for a response as well. I think the biggest problem with getting an answer is that no one has one. The only company I know of last year which spec'ed them was Rocky Mountain.

Besides RM, I cannot think of another company which used the Marathon or the AM line.
It's funny because they seem like really sweet forks but it seems few have picked them up as OEM spec or aftermarket/custom build. MTBR has a bunch of reviews of the AM1 but very little on the SL. Other than a slight weight penalty they seem like a great longer travel SC option, especially given recent reports of people having problems with TALAS forks.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The Marz Xc and AM forks have WAY too many gimmicks in them for me. Plus they are heavy and rather rare, so parts is always going to be special order...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I love my All mntn SL...works great...it doesn't have ETA but all you have to do is increase the pressure in the negative chamber and you can drop it. It's not on the fly like the AM1 but I never really needed to worry about it once I got my bike set up how I like it.

I have used the SL on both my trail and jump bike...D