Quantcast

Marzocchi DJ evolution

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Before anyone says anything, I tried searching through the Marz site to try and peice this together and I'm a little sketchy on the details. Plus I know there are some strength differences from year to year that aren't exactly published on the Marz site, so I figgured I'd ask the pros.

From 02 to current what have been the major differences in the DJ series? I know in 04 the travel dropped, but asside from the crown differences, are there any other standout changes? Out of the DJ forks available from 02 to current, is there a most desirable year/model? If so is there a pretty well established pecking order from best to worst? Last question, are there any year/model combinations to absolutely stay away from?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Im starting to lay out the spec for a New Jack Flash build and want to try and keep mistakes to a minmum ;)

Chris

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
'02- 30mm Al stantions, 3pc lowers w/ 2.8 clearance, standard crown
'03- 32mm Al stantions, 1pc lowers w/ 2.6-2.7 clearance, huge FR crown
'04- 32mm Steel stantions, 1pc lowers w/ 2.8 clearance, huge FR crown

The '02 is worthless by today's standards. Very undersized and overmatched. The '03 and newer, for the same travel, is 1" taller a-c due to the new chassis. The '04 is over 7 pounds due to steel stantions.

IMO I'd say the '03 is the fork to choose, if you have to have a DJ. Otherwise I've been tempted (and I'm a die-hard Marzocchi fan) by the new Manitou Stance Static forks. Very similar to the '04-'05 DJ's, but over a pound lighter. I'd like to hear some durability reports though before I would switch.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
03 is definatly not the choice. Due to the way the fender holes were incorperated into the crown (there is a sharp edge created) they nearly all developed hairline cracks there. It isnt so much a problem if you just "freeride" but if your doing silly street moves or bigger DJs it will happen within a few months... or weeks.

Ill post some info on my new static after i rdie it a little. I (HOPEFULLY) should receive it later today!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Mattoid said:
03 is definatly not the choice. Due to the way the fender holes were incorperated into the crown (there is a sharp edge created) they nearly all developed hairline cracks there. It isnt so much a problem if you just "freeride" but if your doing silly street moves or bigger DJs it will happen within a few months... or weeks.

Ill post some info on my new static after i rdie it a little. I (HOPEFULLY) should receive it later today!
I keep telling people this but they don't listen. I had my 03's crack, so I sent it in on warranty, they replaced all the uppers, and then it cracked again! Within 2-3 months too.

The reason Marzocchi makes they're forks so heavy now, is because they had to. The people who bought them where doing stupid street, and dj tricks, which ruins most forks in a short amount of time! Unfortunately they made them so heavy that they now make street and dj tricks more difficult, because you can't lift the front end of your bike up! Its a double edge sword!. They should just make something similar to the 03 with a redesigned crown, and 80 or 100mm choices. Then charge like $150 for them that way if you are into the street, and Dj stuff, you could just replace them every 6-8 months.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Thanks for the feedbak guys. I wasn't sure on the year, but I had heard about the cracking issue on the crown, so now I know the 03's are off the list. Honestly its not like I have a hardon for DJs but Im trying to keep this thing on a budget, and the fork is one of the larger single item expenditures on the build.

Thanks,
Chris

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
The 04s dotn feel all that heavey... like any new biek part you need to log some riding time on it to pass judgment. I wasnt goin crazy when my 03s uppers and them lowers cracked. I would have gladly taken a heavier/beefier fork to allow me to ride all thsoe long months without a fork (well i had a fork, i just had to learn how to ride rigid.)

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I've ridden a gnar parking lot on the static mounted to a Chase and it felt pretty sweet. It was the QR version, but nonetheless, it looks burly. I'm going to try and get some time logged on one soon.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
I havnt ridden it yet, but without any air in it i can push to the bottom of the travel. And cuz manitou doesnt know how to engineer their forks right all the statics lost 20mm of travel with the "tire clearance upgrade" so my 100mm fork is a 80mm fork, despite the 115mm of exposed stantion. Seems like a fun little fork though. Ill post a real review sometime soon.

Its gonna look sick on my 243!