Quantcast

Marzocchi Drop Off Triple????

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Hey I know this isn't totally related to anything posted lately, so not to hijack any threads. I am thinking of buying a 170mm drop off triple for my 9 year old to upgrade his Norco downhill bike. A couple questions, has anyone ever riden one? they are on closeout for 2005 models for $199.00 so I can't go wrong for the price. But are they worth the ride, and has anyone converted one to 200mm? When I talked to Marzocchi directly they told me and I quote " Yeah I think all of our 170mm forks can be converted to 200mm" when I asked them if it was safe on these forks, he said "should be, I can't say for sure" then he transferred me to a tech that couldn't tell because he wasn't sure about the 2005 models. Anyways good decision, or save up and pick up the 2006 888vf for a hundred more for my boy? Thanks in advanced. By the way he is an entry level downhiller and doesn't do anything more than 4-5 foot drops and 6-8 foot gap jumps and weighs about 90 lbs, don't think "weak springs" should be a problem. So has anyone experienced this fork? thanks in advanced. Dave

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
I have one on my Big Hit and I have no complaints about it. I may not have the adjustability that most other forks have but for a new rider it does the job. I ride hard and after over a season of riding, it hasn't blown or given me any problems.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
i would save up. I've never heard of converting one to 200mm either.

Actually, aren't there the same internals on both forks? Same/very similar dampening and adjustments?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
For a nine year old? Buy it! My 04 Stinky came with one and I ran it for six months without one problem, and I'm not a small guy.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
go 888VF, as far as i know u can NOT BLOW IT UP, i used to bottom mine out like crazy (i didnt care, saving up for a 40) as far as i know-i do not think there is even any damping in it.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
I appreciate any info people pass on. I am leaving town for races tomorrow, I will be back on monday. I will probably order then to be given as a christmas present. I want to get the order in before the forks are all gone. Again keep in mind this fork will be used by a 90 lbs 9 year old boy. He currently rides a 130 mm dirtjump w/thru-axle and is content, but on steeper terrain he's a bit skitish. There would have to be a considerable reason to spend the extra $100 on the 888VF over the DOT fork, and no he doesn't need any more adjustments then what a simple oil weight/level change can't make. Thanks again for responses. Dave.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I think the Drop-Off would be perfect!
I have had mine on my '05 Stinky since I got it and no matter what anybody says, I think its pretty plush, regardless of whether it has any adjustments or not. If its too cushy, I put in more air, and if its too stiff I take some out. So its not the best most cutting edge fork ever, your nine year old will LOVE it. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Does anyone remember how these things work or what the internals are?

I came into possession of one on a shit bike.

Took it apart tonight and found that the right leg has nothing in it. Just something c-clipped into the bottom of the upper tube. There is a silver nut on the bottom of that leg, but it doesn't thread into anything, it just a plug held in by an o-ring? This seems crazy, is it supposed to be like that?

I googled and found someone that said to put ~245ml oil in each leg. But what will that do in the right leg, just blow out that plug? Wrong year fork info perhaps?

I'm not sure what year it is, but it came on a brown/beige Norco Sasquatch and has black and white stickers with script like font. It's also QR.

I put 15wt oil in it, 245ml both sides but it seems to have done dick all for the damping - both compression and rebound. It basically feels like it's just an uncontrolled spring in a tube. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Took it apart tonight and found that the right leg has nothing in it. Just something c-clipped into the bottom of the upper tube. There is a silver nut on the bottom of that leg, but it doesn't thread into anything, it just a plug held in by an o-ring? This seems crazy, is it supposed to be like that?

I googled and found someone that said to put ~245ml oil in each leg. But what will that do in the right leg, just blow out that plug? Wrong year fork info perhaps?

I'm not sure what year it is, but it came on a brown/beige Norco Sasquatch and has black and white stickers with script like font. It's also QR.

I put 15wt oil in it, 245ml both sides but it seems to have done dick all for the damping - both compression and rebound. It basically feels like it's just an uncontrolled spring in a tube. :rofl:
Weren't those open bath?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well pretty sure my 888 was open bath. Not sure about the 66. But, most likely. As they were both awesome.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There were some bizarre lower end models that had some kind of rebound damping and to adjust, you had to take off the to caps and jam a f*cking couple feet long plastic hex-rod down there to adjust the valve, no shit.

And yeah, all the 66 and 888 stuff was open bath till they started using the recirculating damper that we all now know as Grip2.

The low end spiking stuff had pumping rods in the lowers.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There were some bizarre lower end models that had some kind of rebound damping and to adjust, you had to take off the to caps and jam a f*cking couple feet long plastic hex-rod down there to adjust the valve, no shit.

And yeah, all the 66 and 888 stuff was open bath till they started using the recirculating damper that we all now know as Grip2.

The low end spiking stuff had pumping rods in the lowers.
The end of the damper in the left leg has a large hole in it, sounds like that?

When I took the lowers off there wasn't anything that stuck out that appeared to be adjustable.

I just seems super sketch, to me at least, that only the single foot nut is keeping the entire fork together.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
The end of the damper in the left leg has a large hole in it, sounds like that?

When I took the lowers off there wasn't anything that stuck out that appeared to be adjustable.

I just seems super sketch, to me at least, that only the single foot nut is keeping the entire fork together.
How about some pics? Maybe would make helping a bit easier.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Looking at other pictures, I am pretty sure it is a 2004 Drop Off Triple. It looks exactly like these.

Maybe when I had the bike upside down, with the lowers off, the rod in the right leg slid up into the upper tube? But it really didn't look like there was anything for the foot nut to screw into...

I'll take some pics later and see if my buddies and I want to take the oil out and take it apart. I spent $30 on oil for this thing...lmao :rofl:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008

Here:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Here:
Cheers

I found that earlier too. I think there is another one in there that shows the actual fork with the QR lowers.

But yeah, confirms that there should be two pumping rod things that both foot nuts screw onto. The one in right leg, without the spring, must have slid up the tube when I had it upside down.

So I do need to take it apart again...ugh. Maybe I just remove the air cap on that side and stick something down there, to push the rod to the end?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not sure what your end game is, but for anything other than tooling around its horrid. Avalanche might still do a cart for it...which would make it better than anything OEM.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not sure what your end game is, but for anything other than tooling around its horrid. Avalanche might still do a cart for it...which would make it better than anything OEM.
The goal is survive. This fork came in a bike I picked up super cheap for our shit bike Unduro race.

I had one of the later Drop Off Triple forks back in the day, on the same frame. So I wasn't really expecting much. :busted:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
LOL. Well I guess it's a lovely little project and a shit bike it will be. My local has 26" maxxis meat on sale if you need. :)

Remember when BIKE magazine had the shit bike? What was it....something with a gervin (sp?) fork and a flexy seat thingy. Each month someone had to try to race it and report back. Some saying the bike wasn't even safe. IIRC. HA