Quantcast

Marzocchi Predator NIGHT DH race...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Marzocchi is the title sponsor as well as theres a few other companies getting on board for the event. Ought to be alot of fun, hopefully its not completely lit up. Would be kind of fun to have to rely on some helmet/bar lights too....

Fontanna and hopefully no wall, its bad enough to do it in the daytime let alone night when it can seem really never ending in the darkness. :D

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
"The Predators come out at night"

What that means is: you mountain bikers go ride around on this beater hill in the middle of the night a couple blocks away while your sh*t gets stolen from the parking lot.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Trying to remember the exact details and struggling, but RedBull have held a few races like this in the UK and they seem to have been quite well received, racing at night does funny things to your speed.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Red Bull put on two 12-hour DH races this season (the Angel Fire race was a couple days ago). Both of them are 9am to 9pm, which makes for about 2.5 hours of night racing.

DH racing at night is super fun, creepy, scary, cold, eerily quiet and definitely something worth trying. Get good lights, though. I used two Amoeba lights (made by a guy in Denver, "Scar" on mtbr) and they definitely do the job.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
There will be lights and generators for a majority of the course, if you have lights definently slap them on there will be shadows and dark corners.
We strarted doing DH rides at night and its a rush, drops nad doubles with shadows morphing weverywhere from the lights is a trip especially if you use alot of peripheral vision...

You will cramp alot harder as there is NO neutral position on the bike because you cant see whats coming up so you stay in the attack position ready to take a hit.. I crapmed BAD after the last one we did 5 shuttle runs and I couldnt stand up, my inner thigh near the knees was SMOKED....

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Red Bull put on two 12-hour DH races this season (the Angel Fire race was a couple days ago). Both of them are 9am to 9pm, which makes for about 2.5 hours of night racing.
ive always wanted to try a 12 or 24hr race with a team. i think it would be a ton of fun....9am is a bit early though :D

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
ive always wanted to try a 12 or 24hr race with a team. i think it would be a ton of fun....9am is a bit early though :D
It is fun, but yeah, that 9am start time is early! It's cold up there that early, and the first run usually has some frozen dirt.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
24hrs on a DH bike might be fun. Not sure though.

I have raced countless 12 hour and three 24 hour XC races as part of a team. The 12 hour races are usually fun. The 24 hour races are usually fun on the first lap and the last part of the last lap. Getting on a bike at 3am with little sleep and poor nutrition blows. Even when we had a condo 100 feet from the hand off point with a mechanic and cook with, it still sucked at 3-5am. Again, the DH bike might be better until it starts raining.

I have also raced a bunch of 2-3 hour MX hare scramble races. I think these more closely resemble DH. they suck too when you get tired and want to puke from overheating your body. Then again, you get a nice break on the lift with a DH bike.

All that said, where do I sign up for a 24hr DH race?