Quantcast

Marzocchi ?'s

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
1. If you had to choose a fork for slalom/dirtjumping/general use, which one would you choose: 1998 Z1 Alloy 100, or 2001 Z5 100 Coil? Strengths/weaknesses of each?

2. If you had to choose a 2002 Marzocchi for slalom/dirtjumping/general use, which one would it be? Shiver SC? Z1 Freeride? Whaddya think?

3. My friend tells me that the damping for the '01 Z5 100 Coil is adjusted by unbolting the M-arch and twisting the fork legs on the stanchions. True? False? Did he sniff too much glue this past weekend?

Thanks

Shibby

G

gravity

1. The 2001 Z5's as they will be easier to get parts for should you damage it, as well as having a plusher feel than 3 year old forks. Also if you decide to sell them in a while the newer forks will get you more money

2. Z1 FR

3. no idea

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
About question 2...did you consider the Marzocchi DirtJumper I or II? The DJ II is rather cheap...

I think it would be a very good fork for slalom/dirtjumping/general use.

G

gravity

yeah bout question 3.....i cant see how that could possibly do anything as the damping systems are cylindrical and do not attach to any one side of the stanchions/lowers as far as i know so twisting wouldn't do anything. and question 2 consider '02 psylo sl as it is top notch, maybe the marzocchis are stronger but the psylo is better value and can be used for just about anything.
About question 3. Too much glue
too true.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
1. I'd pick the 2001 Z.5 coil. I used one for quite some time and it was fantastic.

2. I'd pick the Dirt Jumper 1. It's designed for abuse, has a beefed up steerer tube and stanchions. That'd be the idea choice overall.

3. Yer friend's on some pretty funky glue. Never unbolt the M arch, as it is also bonded to the lower legs. If that bond is broken, so is the seal. Don't even take the bolts off and reinstall them!

Hope this helps.