Quantcast

Marzocchi seals

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Hey all,

Looking for a place to purchase seals and sliders for my '99 Z2. A special Marzocchi tool for the replacement of these items would also be helpful, but I don't think entirely necessary.

Going to suck up and do the dirty job myself because it's an older fork and I ...............well, I have no idea why I wanna do it myself, guess I like to get my hands dirty.

Can't seem to locate a place I can order them online though.

Anyone have a favorite fork oil. I think the standard weight for this shock is 5. I've heard that motorcycle fork oil is the way to go.

Any other tips would be appreciated also.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Your local shop should have seals to sell you. I don't think you "need" any special tools. A big screwdriver will remove the old ones. Be carefull not to score anything when prying them out. I use an old Shimano BB to press the new ones in. The drive side cup flange is perfectly sized. Start the oiled seal in by hand and use the bb and a mallet to gently pound in the seal. Motorcycle fork oil is fine and often cheaper. You'll need and extension for the socket wrench to reach the bolts in the bottom of the legs to release the sliders from the stanchions. A large crescent wrench or 21mm(?) socket/box wrench will remove top caps. Small screwdriver will handle the snap rings. You'll need a measuring stick to set oil depth. Make your own with an old spoke. Just make a file mark for the correct depth. 5mm allen key for crown bolts. I think that covers all the tools needed. If you wanted to change the bushings, once the seals are out, reach in with your finger and slide it out. If you have a Z2 with a single damper, its not a bad idea to switch it to the other side. The damper is aluminum and use will wear it and make the oil in that side greyer than the non damper side. That grey is small aluminum particles which will accelerate bushing and seal wear on that side. Switching sides will even out wear.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Thanks for the info Oldfart.

(I know that my LBS can sell me the seals, but most of them, that I've checked, don't have them in stock and will have to order them. If I'm going to have to wait for the order to come in I'd rather order them myself and forgo the bike shop mark up)

Anyone else know of where I might order the goods from?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
yo s-crazy

zokes uses 30mm seals which are not hard to get at all at least down here,
you can search for any place that has seals for, say automotive or moto application, bring a sample and they should be able to get you something equivalent, you can try asking around and see if you find a shop who specializes in seals and gaskets.
good thing is that they are dirt cheap, say a buck a pop.

v

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Thanks for the info Vitox. That sounds like really good advice.

Are you saying this from experience? A buck a pop sounds awesome.

How long have you been in Chile?