Quantcast

Marzocchi travel Change Help

FormulaX

Chimp
May 7, 2005
I have a 2003 Marzocchi DJ2 that is set in the 130mm travel setting, I bought the 110mm travel kit but I can not find instructions for this. Has anyone ever done this, or know where I can find some instructions? Thanks.

This is what, I have got...

aznfreerdr08

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Concord, CA
im pretty sure you just switch out the old springs for the new ones and put the top out springs below so that the stanctions are adjusted to the new travel height. but im not sure

FormulaX

Chimp
May 7, 2005
I will give it a shot, I guess I just dont understand what is going to fill in for that extra space you are taking out, like, what is keeping it from moving up that extra 20mm when you pull up.

FormulaX

Chimp
May 7, 2005
ok, so the top out springs go directly below the new springs, or below the dampning rods? I am a very visual person. I know the damping rods keep the stanchioins from coming out, but right now they are set to move up and down apx. 130mm, I know I am an idoit, but what is going to limit them from moving the extra 20mm, while droping the stanchions 20mm in the lowers. Pictures would be good!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Ok, its pretty easy, you add in the new springs with the old ones, so they should just stack on top of the old ones in the damping rods

I have a picture somewhere, let me find it for you.

EDIT

Ok, here you go. This explains how to do everything.

I've done it a couple of times now, its really easy.

http://www.dcstreet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=289

EDIT again.

If you look at the picture you posted, look at the picture of the "uppers" Then look at the Damping rods in that picture. If you look at the rods, look at the top part that looks like a "T". The new top out springs are going to fit flush against the bottom part of the "T".

When you pull the damping rods through the lowers, this will force you to pull it further, due to the space taken up by the new springs. Pulling it through further reduces the amount of travel you have.

Hopefully this all makes sense

http://www.dcstreet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=289

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
FormulaX said:
I will give it a shot, I guess I just dont understand what is going to fill in for that extra space you are taking out, like, what is keeping it from moving up that extra 20mm when you pull up.
I had the same worry when I switched out the springs. Worked fine though.

FormulaX

Chimp
May 7, 2005
Thanks for all the info guys, now that I know you have to take the damping rods out, its all making sense. Thanks!

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
yeah im new to the lowering but i also just lowered an 03 dj2... basically everthing you add to the neg spring side is how much the fork will be lowered... you got a spring kit but you can also use anythin like a portion of a handlebar to bring the fork down... i lowered mine to 90mm using handlebar pieces as spacers... but i found out the easiest way to lower the fork alot and not have to buy any springs and have all spring lengths perfect is to use the spacers that are on top of the positive springs against the negative spring as the spacer.. sooo whats weird about the 03 is one leg has an air cap and the other doesnt, and the air side has a longer spacer, but its ok cause the air side has more space up top to be brought up than the other... so yeah using them and in the end yer stock pos springs will be the correct length... lowered a good amt prolly to like 70 or 80mm but its all good.. the truth is im pretty drunk and i dont usually post here but i hope this helps.. if ripped apart an 02 and 03 dj so if anyone need help wit them shoot me a pm... late good luck :rolleyes:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
bansheefr said:
sooo whats weird about the 03 is one leg has an air cap and the other doesnt,
??? I have an 03 and both sides are the same...

Edit: Ah, wait,you have DJ2... I need to read more carefully..

FormulaX

Chimp
May 7, 2005
I have a 03, and its a DJ2, and both side are the same. Both have air.

I cut mine down to around 90mm, but now I get top out noise when I pull up, anything I might have done wrong? It feels good otherwise.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
yeah i take back what i said about using the two diff size spacers... that wont work... the spacers need to be the same size... if both caps are the same its easy and the spacers will be the same size... i think i have an earlier 03 dj2 so its got both for some reason...anyways lowering is fun

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
FormulaX said:

I cut mine down to around 90mm, but now I get top out noise when I pull up, anything I might have done wrong? It feels good otherwise.

I had the same type of problem with my lowered 04 DJ2. The noise would go away when each leg was pumped up to 17psi. I took the fork apart and used slightly wider spacers.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
FormulaX said:

Do you still have the spacers at the top of the spring?

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
sorry to dig up this thread again. i got some question too. i got one year 2000 marz fork. i know it is design for 130mm - 100mm travel but i was wondering is it possible to reduce it travel to 80mm? will it bottom out easily?

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
oh ya is there any proper site showing how to reduce fork travel? becuase the first page links are gone. and i am quite new to it. so please enlighten me = P

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
here is picture of my fork. well one of my lbs said that they cannot reduce this fork for me. u know sometime lbs are crappy. that y i am seeking out to you guys =D please help me.