Quantcast

Marzocchi Z1 QR20 Fork 2004

rodrigobarr

Chimp
Jun 15, 2008
I recently bought a mountain bike with a Marzocchi Z1 QR20 Fork (2004). I´ve been having trouble keeping the rebound control. I have to readjust the ETA system every time I use my bike and it´s becoming very inconvenient. I may be adjusting it wrong?? Also, when I'm riding and make quick movements or jump the fork makes a clacking sound, like metal hitting metal. Does anyone have any advice? I live in Patagonia, Chile so no one can help me at all. Thanks!

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I'm no expert but I would check your oil height or maybe just change the oil, that might fix the topping out noise. I'm not familiar with ETA.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This does remind me of my problem with my 2002 Z1 with ETA. I believe you will have to replace the ETA cartridge, but I would have to look at it to be sure.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You need a rebuild. good news is, its easy.

Your ETA system is an On or off setting so I am not sure what your trying to adjust. Are you sure its the ETA system. Or is it ECC5 system

Also is it a Z1, or is it a Z150 And is it an FR or FR SL model

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am trying to figure out about the moving ETA knob. It sounds like something is loose.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I dont get that the lever is moving while he is riding, I get that he is adjusting it. Which the ETA has no adjustment, it is either on or off. ECC5 on the other hand has 5 setting's.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I had an '04 z1 DO die on me. Rebound damping stopped working and it became a pogo stick. ETA still worked.

I rebuilt it, rebuilt again w/ heavier oil, worked the rebound w/ the 10mm hex key, again and again. Never got it going.

Upon inspection, the right side upper (the one w/ the pumping rod) has a pressed in ferrule (though this may be specific to the Drop-Off, some other 'zocchi forks have a ferrule retained by a c-clip). A thin upper part of this piece had bent over from against the inside of the stanchion wall. Though I was never able to observe it in action, I'm almost positive that the bent top of the ferrule piece was interfering with the seating of the floating washer, effectively allowing unrestricted oil flow, and thus no rebound damping. The solution was either new uppers ($$$) or a new fork.

I was never able to come up with a good hypothesis about how the top of the ferrule got jacked.

And if anyone has a spare set of zocchi uppers lying around...I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Last edited:

rodrigobarr

Chimp
Jun 15, 2008
i was adjusting the rebound damping with my ETA system, but now i found out that, the right leg its were i should adjust it, but when i turn it to the + sing it seems endless, and does not make any difference, what should i do?¿?¿?