Quantcast

Mason's First Big Crash Today!!!!!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Mason had his first real big crash today. We started the day with a hike up at Paris Mt and after seeing all the bikes up there he wanted to go ride. I took him down to the big Park here in Greenville. There are lots of paved bike paths to ride on there. There is also a long grass hill that runs down to a big grassy field. We go there to practice DHing. After a few runs down the hill with big smiles on his face and all the people clapping for him he wanted to head back to the play ground there. We were on the way back getting ready to cross a bridge over what’s called the Reedy River (very dirty river that runs through all of Greenville downtown). Now the bike/walk path is about 1 foot away from about a 15 foot 60 degree drop to the river. He was riding close to the edge and I looked at him and asked him to get away from the side, well he took one look at the edge and water below him and lost focus and went straight of the edge into the river. He was on the bike about 85% of the way down the hill then went over the bars face first into the muddy river. Thank God the muddy water was a softer hit than a Rock or the ground. He did have his half shell helmet on. I jumped off my bike and then jumped 15 feet down into the water to pull him out because him feet were above his head. After making sure he had no water in his lungs I started to look him over to see how back he was. There was blood and mud all over his face and his cloths were muddy from head to toe. After people stopped to help us out of the river and get his bike out too, I carried him back to the car that was about ¼ mile away. He cried the whole way back. I don’t blame him. The nice couple took both of our bikes back for us. Was very thankful for them to stop and help. Well after a long story he is ok and just had a little bloody nose and mainly scared. I took a shot of him when we got back to the car. He made me proud because about 4 hours later he asked to go ride his bike again. What a trooper!!!!

I will be calling the County Park first thing Monday and ask them to put a rail along the 100 yards of this path next to the river. It’s really a big drop and there should be on there to protect everyone.

Cecil

OB1

Monkey
Glad he's ok Cecil. I feel so guilty when my lil guy gets hurt on his bike. I know I'm the reason he's riding in the first place. And a 4yr old doesn't belong in rock gardens or steep single track.:crazy: I'm sure a psychologist would say it's misplaced pride. And it exposes a weakness in my own personality.:redface: But when he makes it over stuff that some adults can't do....man....it's better than drugs. :banana:

mquehl

Chimp
Mar 20, 2009
I feel for you Cecil, it is very hard to watch them on their first one. Sounds alot like Ethan was at his age. Glad to hear he is ok and wanted back on the bike:thumb:

FloridaFish

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
I will be calling the County Park first thing Monday and ask them to put a rail along the 100 yards of this path next to the river. It’s really a big drop and there should be on there to protect everyone.
Cecil
really? good story up until i read that paragraph.

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
Tough little man! :thumb:

Good thing he is all good and wanted back on his bike to ride. My son at one time, I believe 8 years of age, tumbled down a steep (near vertical) 20" rolling drop with his bike and somewhat popped right up after the tumble and asked if his bike was OK. What a trooper! :D

On-On and keep the rubber down! :thumb:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I thought the same thing, but didn't want to rain on the parade.

But a 2 year old wobbling off line and tumbling shouldn't warrant a knee jerk reaction.

My kid is riding my pump track at age 21 months and has busted his ass plenty. I'm not about to install hand rails or keep him off it. It will make him stronger. Plus he would cry harder if I made it "safe".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1zDGidbr458&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1zDGidbr458&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC

But a 2 year old wobbling off line and tumbling shouldn't warrant a knee jerk reaction.

My kid is riding my pump track at age 21 months and has busted his ass plenty. I'm not about to install hand rails or keep him off it. It will make him stronger. Plus he would cry harder if I made it "safe".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1zDGidbr458&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1zDGidbr458&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Dude, your little man is a ripper! In a couple years, he will be hucking big drops and big jumps. Kudos to your little man bro.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina

Doug, cool to see your little man ripping it up. Understand I would not be asking the Park to put up a rail if it were not dangerous. It is an isolated accident and no others have been reported at the park in that area. It’s just a 15 foot drop less than 1 foot off the paved path to the river below. It’s crazy they have rails in parts of the park that are nowhere as dangerous. If you saw it you would be saying the same thing I have.

Cecil

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
No I wouldn't. I'm a staunch Darwin supporter. :thumb:
I'm not so much a Darwinist. I'm more of a "If my kid goes down an embankment on my watch, it's my kid. Cassidy rode the VA Creeper Trail for 17 miles, all of it with me at her side. She still found a way to get the front wheel off a huge bank leading to the river and fell over....followed by her mother tagging her in the temple with the wheel of the buggy for our 3 yr old.

It's my responsibility to identify dangers and guide my child away from them. Do I think anybody failed as a parent in either incident? No. Did the government fail to protect us from ourselves? No.

Should we take responsibility as parents? Yes.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Cecil, first I'm glad the lil' dude is all right. I watched Cooper take his first face plant on a 4' halfpipe not long ago on his pedal bike and my heart sank. Totally felt it was my fault, but ya know what, he actually learned something. Not to turn too sharp on the ramp.

I know the exact spot you are talking about in the park, but come on dude, don't be "that guy". It's not like it's a a foot of the sidewalk, consider it a lesson learned for the both of you.

Just my .02

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
bummer about his first nasty crash. it's always heartbreaking to scoop the little dude up and it's impossible to not feel guilty. noah's had some horrible crashes, usually after i dared him to try something, but he's always bounced back and gotten back in the saddle. wrecks happen and he'll be tougher for it.

as far as the guardrail deal goes...

rails don't always help ;)

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Thats a sick little bike Wyatt's got there Doug!

Glad the future shredders are bouncing back quickly! My parents certainly dealt with their fair share of accidents with me. As long as you learn something from every fall...

Last edited: