Quantcast

Mass-holes, give me low-down on your senate race

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm a little bummed that the Democrats lost their 60 seats (although I don't know how 60 became the majority).

But from a distance it looked like Coakley thought she was the heir apparent, taking a week off 3 weeks before the election. And didn't she make some odd comment about Fenway?

And Brown, when he got Schilling and Flutie standing behind him, he looked like a stud. But he did beat the streets and that matters.

Politics aside, it looks like Brown was the better candidate.

splat

Nam I am
The list is Long !

1) Coakley didn't do much till the last week ( they had a 30- Point lead a Month ago and just let it slip away )

2) the extent of her campaign was I'm a Democrat he's a Republican.

3) He canvased the state ( she Made fun of him for standing out in the cold outside Fenway Park during the New Years Day Bruins Game shaking hands ) she did no such events

4) and she thought Kurt Schilling was Pitcher for the Yankee's

5) He drove around in a Pickup with 200K miles on it , she in a Limo.

6) Her own party didn't help Much they thought it was a Slam dunk , Patrick Kennedy couldn't Remember her name , Obama Didn't do much with his visit either to little too late.

7) His biggest thing he campaighed on " was against the current health care reform bill."

Those are just some quick ones I can give you quickly. ther eis more

The Dems Better be scared to lose the Bluest of the blue states better send a message.

and Yes I voted for him

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
blame the moderates who stand for __________and ________________ and____________........

splat

Nam I am
What is a Twist of Irony , is you can also Blame it on John Kerry ! ( the finger is already Being pointed )

Because Before 2004, if a Senate seat opened up like this , the Governor would appoint a Successor. but because they thought Kerry was going to Win the Presidency the legislature changed the constitution so then Republican Governor Mitt Romney could not appoint a a successor and changed it to this special election.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
knowing that they fvcked themselves makes it kind of funny.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wish I wasn't a Democrat because Coakley is laughable, and I can see the liberal news outlets are besides themselves.

Monkey
Because Before 2004, if a Senate seat opened up like this , the Governor would appoint a Successor. but because they thought Kerry was going to Win the Presidency the legislature changed the constitution so then Republican Governor Mitt Romney could not appoint a a successor and changed it to this special election.
didn't Massachusetts legislature try to change the rule back to governor-appoint-replacement when Teddy was in the hospital, and Teddy himself supported the change to appointment route even though he championed the previous change to special election himself?

splat

Nam I am
How about blaming it on Ted keeping his seat while he was a zombie?
so true, if he was that concerned about it , he would have stepped down.

didn't Massachusetts legislature try to change the rule back to governor-appoint-replacement when Teddy was in the hospital, and Teddy himself supported the change to appointment route even though he championed the previous change to special election himself?
Yes they did, 3 days Before Kennedy Died. ( again To Little To Late ) , Teddy Supposedly Wrote a Private Note ( that no one has seen except the Governor ) to the Governor asking for some one to be Named as his replacement. The fact that Kennedy was in a Brain Dead Coma for the last 2 weeks of his life, really made some people wonder.

But None of this would ever be said Publicly about Ted Kennedy in Mass.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So who wants to wager that health care won't happen?

Obama, the one term president?

Come everyone! Off the band-wagon! There's gotta be a new along any minute now!

Ridiculous. At the risk of sounding like Knuckleslammer, it really is silly. Politics fundamentally is all about preventing stuff you don't like from happening. I don't know how people can dedicate their lives to it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
One can only wish that the Democratic Party hears the message and gets it's act together, but both major parties are seriously fractured right now. Brown on the surface seems to be a decent person.
So who wants to wager that health care won't happen?

Obama, the one term president?

Come everyone! Off the band-wagon! There's gotta be a new along any minute now!

Ridiculous. At the risk of sounding like Knuckleslammer, it really is silly. Politics fundamentally is all about preventing stuff you don't like from happening. I don't know how people can dedicate their lives to it.
The wife and I were discussing all this this morning. I'm guessing last night will be seen as the time of death of the Obama Administration.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I noticed a story on the Huffington Post blaming Obama.

I guess that person doesn't want to work for the Democrats any more.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The list is Long !

1) Coakley didn't do much till the last week ( they had a 30- Point lead a Month ago and just let it slip away )

2) the extent of her campaign was I'm a Democrat he's a Republican.

3) He canvased the state ( she Made fun of him for standing out in the cold outside Fenway Park during the New Years Day Bruins Game shaking hands ) she did no such events

4) and she thought Kurt Schilling was Pitcher for the Yankee's

5) He drove around in a Pickup with 200K miles on it , she in a Limo.

6) Her own party didn't help Much they thought it was a Slam dunk , Patrick Kennedy couldn't Remember her name , Obama Didn't do much with his visit either to little too late.

7) His biggest thing he campaighed on " was against the current health care reform bill."

Those are just some quick ones I can give you quickly. ther eis more

The Dems Better be scared to lose the Bluest of the blue states better send a message.

and Yes I voted for him

That is exactly the problem with our electoral system. How do any of those points tell what kind of job any of those candidates will do? When you go to a job interview do they ask what kind of car you drive or who Schilling pitches for? I don't know either of the candidates but the reality is none of them get elected on the merits of the job they might do. It is a popularity contest. The system isn't necessarily broken it is just that people are gullible and base their decisions on emotion not facts.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The wife and I were discussing all this this morning. I'm guessing last night will be seen as the time of death of the Obama Administration.
No need to be so dramatic, yet.

Obama needs to start knocking heads together inside his own party though. There's no need to give assholes like Evan Bayh and Ben Nelson any more thought, and Joe Lieberman can be told to STFU every time he opens his mouth.

For a "Chicago Pol" he's really been acting like a pussy.

The important thing to remember is that the GOP is like that drunk screaming fan at a sports event. They are still a minority. The smaller they get, the louder they scream.

And again, to make Westy's point: If you vote for people because they drive a truck or have a baseball pitcher endorse them, you're the same type of retard that voted for Bush because he's the guy you'd rather have a beer with (even though you knew he was an alcoholic asshole...)

Anyone want to make a bet on how often Brown votes in lockstep with the GOP?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
On NPR yesterday, I'm not sure who it was that said it but this guy was saying that Obama has been acting too much like a senator and not like a president. Trying too hard to find consensus and common ground. I thought that was a fair point. As stated above, he's going to have to start exercising some of that executive power.....

splat

Nam I am
That is exactly the problem with our electoral system. How do any of those points tell what kind of job any of those candidates will do? When you go to a job interview do they ask what kind of car you drive or who Schilling pitches for? I don't know either of the candidates but the reality is none of them get elected on the merits of the job they might do. It is a popularity contest. The system isn't necessarily broken it is just that people are gullible and base their decisions on emotion not facts.

that is very true too. in this case ,Brown did say where he stood on things ( Against the current Health Care bill, felt the economy was the #1 issue followed by Security , etc etc ) Coakly gave the answer to continue Senator Kennedy's legacy. ( never gave any definite answers )

every one in my Office agrees it can be summed down to one word why she lost:

Arrogance

and that came from Local, state and National levels.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
No need to be so dramatic, yet.

Obama needs to start knocking heads together inside his own party though. There's no need to give assholes like Evan Bayh and Ben Nelson any more thought, and Joe Lieberman can be told to STFU every time he opens his mouth.

For a "Chicago Pol" he's really been acting like a pussy.

The important thing to remember is that the GOP is like that drunk screaming fan at a sports event. They are still a minority. The smaller they get, the louder they scream.

And again, to make Westy's point: If you vote for people because they drive a truck or have a baseball pitcher endorse them, you're the same type of retard that voted for Bush because he's the guy you'd rather have a beer with (even though you knew he was an alcoholic asshole...)

Anyone want to make a bet on how often Brown votes in lockstep with the GOP?
I agree, and I really want to believe your right. I am a pessimist by nature.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I agree, and I really want to believe your right. I am a pessimist by nature.
Obama has the same number of Senators now that he had on election night.

Now he doesn't have the excuse of trying to get 60 votes either for not getting stuff done. And moving right isn't going to help him, because he's not going to peel off GOP voters no matter what he does. So he either moves left or he sits in the middle and loses the next election.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Popularity contest might be one way to think of it. But being inaccessible like Coakley was, is a bad way to convince people you represent them.

Here's a direct quote, talking about Brown's visit to Fenway:

"As opposed to standing outside Fenway Park? In the cold? Shaking hands?" she fires back, in an apparent reference to a Brown online video of him doing just that. "This is a special election. And I know that I have the support of Kim Driscoll. And I now know the members of the [Salem] School Committee, who know far more people than I could ever meet."
For the people who are friends of Kim Driscoll and the Salem School Committee, bully for you.

Yeah, personal charm does make a difference. But if you look at Waxman and Frank, two of the ugliest men in the world, you need to do more than just be pretty.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
At least Glenn Beck got's Brownie's back:

Beck launched into a long rant about how Brown had just put his daughters up for grabs on a "meat market" and how shocked he was that anyone could say something like that on national television. Then came that moment that differentiates Beck on the radio from Beck on the TV: he started comparing Brown to Gary Condit.

I want a chastity belt on this man. I want his every move watched in Washington. I don't trust this guy. This one could end with a dead intern. I'm just saying. It could end with a dead intern.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...you know, when this whole health care things fails, I'm just going to laugh. I feel Obama is probably a good, intelligent guy but naive and perhaps unprepared. Stewart put it well the other night, talking about how GWB did "whatever the f*ck he wanted" without a huge majority in the house or senate. Why in the hell do you need a filibuster-proof majority to pass every single thing?
Manipulate the media, wag the dog, get Colin Powell in front of the UN with his health insurance bill, blackmail someone, kill an intern... I don't give a sh*t, but quit being totally useless. Don't just concede everything to the point that when you do get a bill to pass, it's not completely worthless. What would have been wrong with putting in some of those things republicans wanted in the healthcare bill? Eliminating in-state only insurance, make billing transparent, even give them tort reform just to get a few guys on-board.

These people are useless!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
What would have been wrong with putting in some of those things republicans wanted in the healthcare bill? Eliminating in-state only insurance, make billing transparent, even give them tort reform just to get a few guys on-board.
Well, that assumes the Republicans were honestly trying, which they weren't. You can look at Grassley coming out against the bill he helped to write for evidence of that.

The problem was that Obama made a bunch of backroom deals with the insurance and pharma companies and they ****ed him in the ass anyways. And really, who could have ever seen that coming? :rofl:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, that assumes the Republicans were honestly trying, which they weren't. You can look at Grassley coming out against the bill he helped to write for evidence of that.
Then that should have been the rallying cry. Be "outraged" on all the news networks, host a few healthcare tea-bagging sit ins. Whatever... don't just assume that attempting to do the right thing is going to work. That's what I mean by naive. They're never on the offensive.

The problem was that Obama made a bunch of backroom deals with the insurance and pharma companies and they ****ed him in the ass anyways. And really, who could have ever seen that coming? :rofl:
I honestly think if he'd held a speech, and just said "Insurance companies, **** you, drug companies, **** you too! You people in congress who are in their pockets, **** you... I will make you a household name for screwing this up!"

Then people would have something to get behind.
Instead, he they just cobbled together some crap... and look... nobody likes it.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
...you know, when this whole health care things fails, I'm just going to laugh. I feel Obama is probably a good, intelligent guy but naive and perhaps unprepared. Stewart put it well the other night, talking about how GWB did "whatever the f*ck he wanted" without a huge majority in the house or senate. Why in the hell do you need a filibuster-proof majority to pass every single thing?
Manipulate the media, wag the dog, get Colin Powell in front of the UN with his health insurance bill, blackmail someone, kill an intern... I don't give a sh*t, but quit being totally useless. Don't just concede everything to the point that when you do get a bill to pass, it's not completely worthless. What would have been wrong with putting in some of those things republicans wanted in the healthcare bill? Eliminating in-state only insurance, make billing transparent, even give them tort reform just to get a few guys on-board.
Outstanding.