Quantcast

Mass-o-nothing

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Hey guys, I sadly missed the race (it's ok cause i was in Moab) but I was wondering how the mountain looked for non-race weekends. It's certainly the closest resort that I know of to dc (correct me if I'm wrong) and I was thinking about checking it out. Do they run the lifts on weekends? Is there a real trail network to speak of, or is it just the race course. Their website sucks, so any info would be appreciated. Also, if it is indeed worth the drive, is there a reccomended camping area?

Thanks

Jun 4, 2002
Berryville, VA
Mass-o-nothing is exactly that, nothing to speak of for the year, other than the race. Lifts don't run for DH. I don't know for a fact, but I don't think they would let you shuttle either and I think the only trail is the race course.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
...but is it very cool of them to open up their mountain to DH racers once a year! Thanks, Massanutten!
Yes I agree, thanks to George and all of his help at Massanutten, they get the trail open every year for the DH event. And the XC trails are very nice, I ride them atleast once a week.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
Kaylors is fun.. But only if your not pedaling a rig..

Much better DH stuff on the other side of the valley.
You could shuttle Reddish all day long via the road.

Or suffer a bit and pedal up Dowell's, Braley's, Chimney Hollow etc..

VooDoo13

Chimp
May 19, 2005
East Coast
BUCKET said:
Yes I agree, thanks to George and all of his help at Massanutten, they get the trail open every year for the DH event. And the XC trails are very nice, I ride them atleast once a week.
I was told by the guys in the bikeshop at Mass. you could walk the fire road up and ride the course but that was the week before the race. Not sure if that applies all year long. They also mentioned a shuttle runs to the trailside of the mountain (like 8 bucks a rider) and said depending on how busy they were you might be able to talk the shuttle into takin you up to ride the DH. Once again not sure if this applies all season. Call and ask.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
VooDoo13 said:
I was told by the guys in the bikeshop at Mass. you could walk the fire road up and ride the course but that was the week before the race. Not sure if that applies all year long. They also mentioned a shuttle runs to the trailside of the mountain (like 8 bucks a rider) and said depending on how busy they were you might be able to talk the shuttle into takin you up to ride the DH. Once again not sure if this applies all season. Call and ask.
What? I actually wasn't asking a question, I know the schedule, but thanks for posting the info for the people that didn't know. :D No you cannot ride the DH course until the week of the race, as far as the Western side (XC Trails), I ride that atleast once a week, as I stated earlier. I'm a Mass. seasonal employee, and helped out with the DH event, I think it's only visitors that has to pay the 8 bucks to ride.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Trouble said:
Much better DH stuff on the other side of the valley.
You could shuttle Reddish all day long via the road.
I think I know where that is... we were up in GWNF camping and did a run of the north river trail and some others (mostly xc). I saw on the map a trail starting from I think it was Reddish knob (timber ridge trail). I ended up running out of time and didn't get to ride it but it looks great. Something like 2500 ft of drop in 7 or 8 miles along a ridge line. Is that the same place? I'm definately going back up there.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Yeah, that's the generally the same place Trouble's talking about. I think what he means is there's some better riding West of Harrisonburg.

There are about a dozen trails that drop off of Reddish Knob/Flagpole Knob. I think they're all on the VA Topo map.

I thought the North River Trail is synonymous with what we call the Lookout Mountain trail (drops you down from Lookout Mountain to the North River by the skinny walking bridge). If so, that's an awesome trail, with some of the best views at the top of Lookout.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
Matt D said:
Yeah, that's the generally the same place Trouble's talking about. I think what he means is there's some better riding West of Harrisonburg.

There are about a dozen trails that drop off of Reddish Knob/Flagpole Knob. I think they're all on the VA Topo map.

I thought the North River Trail is synonymous with what we call the Lookout Mountain trail (drops you down from Lookout Mountain to the North River by the skinny walking bridge). If so, that's an awesome trail, with some of the best views at the top of Lookout.
North River Goarge trail is by Lookout. Boring flat singletrack for begineers or the hot days when you need to dip in the river 12 times..

North River trail drops off Reddish near the turn off to Little Bald. Fun stuff.

DH stuff would be Short Hone Quarry, Red Diamond, High School Dropout, Death Star (if you can find it), Pond Knob.

Heatbreak is only amile up.. would make for a fun hike and then come down it on a rig.. But it'd be a hell of a hike up..

Timber Ridge is fun. Expect to do some climbing. Timber Ridge then down Lynn would be worth it though.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Trouble said:
North River trail drops off Reddish near the turn off to Little Bald. Fun stuff.

DH stuff would be Short Hone Quarry, Red Diamond, High School Dropout, Death Star (if you can find it), Pond Knob.

Timber Ridge is fun. Expect to do some climbing. Timber Ridge then down Lynn would be worth it though.

We made a loop out of the North River Trail from where we camped which involved climbing up the FS road then dropping down from there. It was great. The top is steep and rocky and the bottom is fast and smooth. We also rode the fire road down to Little Bald and back. That was smokin' fun. There are a lot of grade reversals and you can get major speed and air them out...

From the topomap Timber Ridge starts off along a ridge line and goes up and down a bit before dropping. Looks very nice too me. Its next on my list next time we come down to visit.

I'll have to try to find some of the others. I take it that some of the names have been changed to protect the innocent? Either that or they are "off the grid" so to speak.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I think those are the names they've been tagged with over the years. Nothing illegal. There are just so many trails up there that aren't marked or on the topo map. Unfortunate for out of towners, but as with most places it's best to hook up with the locals to ride the good stuff.

Speaking of that, you riding this weekend Trouble?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Trouble said:
Shoulda kept going off Little Bald.
Left down Chimney Hollow, or straight/right down to Camp Todd.

Yep - Should have! Those jumped right off the Nat. Geo. topo at me too! Like I said it was my first time up there. I'll be back.

Matt, Is there a Nat. Geo. to local trail translator?

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Not that I know of, but if you're looking for the info stop by Shandendoah Bicycle Company in Harrisonburg. They'll explain it all, and hook you up with some good mpas of the area.

Have fun, hopefully we'll be out there tomorrow.