Quantcast

Massanutten DH & NEARBY XC riding?

DHAlicia

Chimp
Apr 27, 2008
Bethel, CT
Hi! I'm new to the East Coast I and race DH. I signed up for the Massanutten race in May, and will be making the drive from Bethel CT and staying a couple nights.

Anyone have any beta on the course? From the pictures I've seen, looks like rocks (my fav!) and speed?

I'd also like to try to do some XC riding in the area while I'm there on Sunday. Any trails near the race course or on the mtn itself??

Any beta sincerely appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to meeting all the East Coast Downhillers soon!

-Alicia

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
You're pretty much dead on about the course. There are two rock gardens, one at the top and one at the bottom. Neither of them are ridiculously technical, but it is possible, and very common to flat, so bring lots of tubes. The rest is pretty much some tight singletrack and the occasional fire road. It's definitely a lot of fun.

As for XC riding, I don't really know much about that, but I'm sure others on here will. I think there's an XC trail off the backside of the mountain, and maybe some trails closer to Harrisonburg.

Hope this helps, and good luck! If you see the goofy guy with the afro on a Giant Faith, say hey!

DHAlicia

Chimp
Apr 27, 2008
Bethel, CT
Hmmm....I have a tubless set up right now so unless there are really sharp rocks that will cut my sidewall so far I haven't been let down by my current system. Thanks for the advice though! Main issue for me being fairly new to DH Racing (not riding) is I'm still learning the ins and outs of how to set up suspension though so I think I'll plan for faster rebound.

I'll be the short girl on an IronHorse Sunday, black bike with a Boxxer enjoying all the rock gardens I can find :cheers:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Hmmm....I have a tubless set up right now so unless there are really sharp rocks that will cut my sidewall so far I haven't been let down by my current system. Thanks for the advice though! Main issue for me being fairly new to DH Racing (not riding) is I'm still learning the ins and outs of how to set up suspension though so I think I'll plan for faster rebound.

I'll be the short girl on an IronHorse Sunday, black bike with a Boxxer enjoying all the rock gardens I can find :cheers:
The rocks there are pretty sharp and they love to slice and dice tires like its their job! take spare tubes, you'll probably need them.

Two years ago my mother came along to the race with me, and I think it was George that works there who took her out to the local trails one of the days. They are good people, just go to the shop and ask em whats up..

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Yeah, I'd bring some extra tubes, just incase!

As for XC riding, DEFINITELY check out or call up http://shenandoahbicycle.com/Shenandoah Bicycle Company, and they will tell you whats up. There is a TON of riding in the nearby George Washington national forest, Harrisonburg, and other places around the 'Nut. You can also check out the Shenandoah Mountain Bike Club, for some info, and if he happens to read this, maybe BAXTER can chime in with some information.

I'd also recommend riding with someone who knows the trails out there, it can get a bit confusing if you are not from around there, AND, it's always a good idea to ride with someone else anyway, especially when you are in the middle of a National forest, and phones don't work.

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Hi! I'm new to the East Coast I and race DH. I signed up for the Massanutten race in May, and will be making the drive from Bethel CT and staying a couple nights.

Anyone have any beta on the course? From the pictures I've seen, looks like rocks (my fav!) and speed?

I'd also like to try to do some XC riding in the area while I'm there on Sunday. Any trails near the race course or on the mtn itself??

Any beta sincerely appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to meeting all the East Coast Downhillers soon!

-Alicia
Hey Guys,

The SVBC and Rich Edwards with IMBA have built trails on our western slope. We run the Super D Sat May 31, 2008 on the
Kaylor Ridge trail. We race downhill on the Upper Ravine to the
Ravine trail on Our Western Slope. Talk to the Bicycle Shop
at Massanutten.

Shenandoah Bicycle in Harrisonburg 540-437-9000
Shenandoah Vally Bicycle Coalition has trail info in the GW Forest.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
one of ussss.....one of usssss....

Seriously though, I have cut tires there tubeless and tubed just about every year I've gone. Such a fun course though. See you on the course.

I second the nomination for both George and the shop on the mountain and for SBC down in H-Burg. Both first class groups of people.