Quantcast

Massanutten HeeHa -May 7-8th...NEED HELP

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I was told that it is college graduation that weekend so we are gonna get the shaft on hotels in Harrisburg.....anybody got the 411?

And I might camp if it's "uber" close...well.....no...I won't.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Why did you say the 8th?
Please God tell me that they changed the race to Sunday?!
Then I could go.
That would make too much sense though.
If they had the race on Sunday, maybe some of the pros would
come up from the Asheville street comp on Saturday.
Anybody wanna see if they will change it?:devil:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Practice is Friday, race is Saturday - it's not the type of course where you "have" to practice it for a day; there are no tech sections/lines that you need to dial, etc. Just 2 tight turns and a big rockgarden at the end that most people just monster-truck through....2-3 practice runs on Saturday morning is plenty.

About lodging, have you checked Massanutten itself to see if you can get a condo or something?

I'm probably just gonna spend the night in Charlottesville or something with a friend. Maybe there's hotels available in C-ville, I dunno if it's UVA graduation that weekend too though.....C-ville is only like an hour from Mass.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
UVa graduation is the weekend of the 14th.

I agree on what you said about not needing to practice the course much Dan, but still, it's stupid to not have it on Sat/Sun like every other race.

Why on earth would I waste a day of vacation to practice for a race like this? But if practice was Sat., I would go and just ride and have fun; while still getting in some practice and race Sunday.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
If they want a huge turnout, they would have it on Sunday.
Tons of people in and around Asheville would come up for it.
(I am just being totally selfish. My baby sister is graduating college on Saturday, and I can't make it).
So, somebody who knows the promoters tell them to change it. ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
they scheduled it like that b/c hte Asheville street comp was the first weekend in June the last 2 years.

As for me...hmmm, stand around and watch a bunch of pro's ride street stuff that I could watch on video...or actually ride my own bike? hmmmmmmm....screw that, I'm riding.

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by bizutch
they scheduled it like that b/c hte Asheville street comp was the first weekend in June the last 2 years.

As for me...hmmm, stand around and watch a bunch of pro's ride street stuff that I could watch on video...or actually ride my own bike? hmmmmmmm....screw that, I'm riding.
You have no clue what we've got lined up for this year's course.

Inkhell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Golden
Called almost 10 hotels around Mass and no vacancy at all. Screw it. The better option if you want to ride DH is to hit opening day at Wintergreen. Looks like there may be a few new runs there this year. Ride all day lift assisted for $35...sounds like the way to go for me.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by Inkhell
]The better option if you want to ride DH is to hit opening day at Wintergreen. Looks like there may be a few new runs there this year. Ride all day lift assisted for $35...sounds like the way to go for me.
You might want to read some of the Wintergreen threads on the VA board.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Inkhell
Called almost 10 hotels around Mass and no vacancy at all. Screw it. The better option if you want to ride DH is to hit opening day at Wintergreen. Looks like there may be a few new runs there this year. Ride all day lift assisted for $35...sounds like the way to go for me.
bwahahahahahahahahahahaha
winter-who? never heard of it before

Inkhell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Golden
Damn... That sucks. I had blast at WG last year and was looking forward to another. It sounds like you guys need a little more support from more riders to help them wake up. Post a name/address who we should address emails/letters to.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
how about somebody explain why Kalen is pissed about Wintergreen rather than make me search and read througha bunch of threads....then if I want to know allthe stinky details....I'll read those threads.

And Marshall, nothing against the festival...but I'm sure you've noticed by now that I have never, ever gone on a "street ride". I love to ride & race on dirt...."brrraaaaaaapppppp":D

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I agree with Matt and Dan, Massanutten isn't really a coarse where practicing is needed.......

Butch, you'll only really get the details if you read the threads in the va forum but the gist of it is, there are unexperienced workers on the mountain now, the crew that built the trails is no longer maintaining or building the trails. nor are they allowed to.

Basically it's going downhill in the worst way...... noone will be there this summer....

the trails are in serious need of help and the new stuff being built is something that wouldn't challenge a 7 year old on a walmart 20" (you can check the "dare case" out ont their homepage, apparently this is how they view mountain biking, crippled ramps and steps)

Marshal, it might help if you did fill us in with some details, I don't think there is much interest floating around up this way, seems like everone is going to the Hoo Ha race......... maybe if you dropped some hints or something as to what might be special or different this year.....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Castle
I agree with Matt and Dan, Massanutten isn't really a coarse where practicing is needed.......

Butch, you'll only really get the details if you read the threads in the va forum but the gist of it is, there are unexperienced workers on the mountain now, the crew that built the trails is no longer maintaining or building the trails. nor are they allowed to.

Basically it's going downhill in the worst way...... noone will be there this summer....

the trails are in serious need of help and the new stuff being built is something that wouldn't challenge a 7 year old on a walmart 20" (you can check the "dare case" out ont their homepage, apparently this is how they view mountain biking, crippled ramps and steps)

Marshal, it might help if you did fill us in with some details, I don't think there is much interest floating around up this way, seems like everone is going to the Hoo Ha race......... maybe if you dropped some hints or something as to what might be special or different this year.....
well from what i understand the course is gonna be way bigger this year. huge wall rides, stair gaps, street stuff as well as big bike friendly as. from what i understand the course is gonna be big air meets street style. it will really show who the well rounded rider is.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
hmmm....I smell a turd in progress.....that guy that did the mountain bike program last year was really corporate.

He was nice enough to me but everybody else seemed to really hate him with a passion.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by bizutch
hmmm....I smell a turd in progress.....that guy that did the mountain bike program last year was really corporate.

He was nice enough to me but everybody else seemed to really hate him with a passion.
butch the short story is this - the non-riders who run Wintergreen Resort have decided that they will take over all trail building and maintanence issues for WG this year, and told the riders who built 100% of what they have there (and brought all those riders to WG) to take a hike. Hence, everybody's pissed.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by Matt D

...Why on earth would I waste a day of vacation to practice for a race like this? But if practice was Sat., I would go and just ride and have fun; while still getting in some practice and race Sunday.
Practice on Friday. I know! Argh! It's one of the reasons Massanutten won't be my first race. I really want it to be, but it just can't be. I can't get off of work on Friday. The drive's too far from D.C. to get there in time Saturday to practice a little. :(

mpd510

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Northern Va
Originally posted by Capt. Jack Sparrow
Practice on Friday. I know! Argh! It's one of the reasons Massanutten won't be my first race. I really want it to be, but it just can't be. I can't get off of work on Friday. The drive's too far from D.C. to get there in time Saturday to practice a little. :(
it's only 2 hours away....you can practice from 8-12

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
It's only about 2:00 - 2:15 from DC - if you left at 7:00 you'd have more than enough time to practice, like I said it doesn't take much practice. I'd highly recommend it as a 1st race......no pressure...;)

edit....or what mark said....:p

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Originally posted by DßR
It's only about 2:00 - 2:15 from DC - if you left at 7:00 you'd have more than enough time to practice, like I said it doesn't take much practice. I'd highly recommend it as a 1st race......no pressure...;)

edit....or what mark said....:p
I'm going Friday evening...probably won't practice. I just gotta get ina decent race. I have been in hibernation since my wife went on bedrest and we had our daughter. Gained 15 pounds I gotta drag around !!!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
You can get that course dialed in a couple of hours of practice no doubt. It is super fun, and you can basically pin it.
I will running the course in my head over and over on Saturday, as I sit through a graduation.:(

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by Castle
There's a news blip on the homepage here.
Apart from that, we aren't disclosing contest format.
Here's the closest I'm commig to that:
Street course like a video game.