Quantcast

Massanutten questions...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i've never raced there before and i was able to take the day off for it this year. i just looked at the schedule and realized that i'd almost have to take off friday too in order to get in any practice. i'd be working 'til 130am on friday night and then try to make it to the mountain by 8 to get in some practice.

so anyway....is it worth the 5+ hour drive? who is going from the triad? i'd rather carpool with someone and split room costs if possible and according to the VA forum it looks like they have their $60 a night room deal this year.

i suppose i need to make plans now so i can get friday off too so if you're going and you have room let me know.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Going Friday does make it more worth it for all the lift service you get. The trail is fun, but not spectacular and I think most people go for the tradition since a world cup was there!

If you cannot get off Friday then you will get plenty of practice Saturday morning (Quick lift/ fast course= fast runs). Last year I got four runs in Sat morning. Also you can camp at the base of the lift if you want to go all out.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
friday practice is fun, but not necessary. it's a very low-tech course, a great way to start the season. I got in 4 runs sat morning as well last year and felt very comfortable.

you bringing noah? i've been forwarding his pix to my wife so he's a celebrity in our house! it's a very family-friendly setup, i'll have my 9 month old and wife in tow.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ztlh13 said:
Going Friday does make it more worth it for all the lift service you get. The trail is fun, but not spectacular and I think most people go for the tradition since a world cup was there!

If you cannot get off Friday then you will get plenty of practice Saturday morning (Quick lift/ fast course= fast runs). Last year I got four runs in Sat morning. Also you can camp at the base of the lift if you want to go all out.
T-bone,

Can you get off Friday so we could go up earlier?

Holla at ya boi!

bikerdave189

Chimp
Feb 28, 2006
Charleston, SC
hey man, i grew up by that mountain, its not a super hard race, i mean they have a Hardtail class on the same trail. Its always a big turn out, and everyone has alot of fun. The VA ridders are all good guys, i have a friend or two who i grew up ridding with that will be there probably. where do you live anyways? but as for lodging, Harrisonburg is only 20 minutes away from the mountain, its a small city below The Nut, they have like motel 8's and stuff if you dont want to spend the mountain price, hope i helped out any.

bikerdave189

Chimp
Feb 28, 2006
Charleston, SC
oh, and if you get an extra day in there, Wintergreen is only 40 minutes south of The Nut, they have a freeridding park there, and a 7 mile downhill run, i worked at WG when i got out of high school for a year. good ridding there, AWSOME trails.. some pretty good hucking.. have fun, say hi to the Blue Ridge for me, i'm deployed right now and miss my mountains..

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
CHOP said:
Which one of those long sweeping turns claimed your rear der. last year? :rofl:
not nice. Was there anyone on the mountain besides Bosch that DIDN'T witness that thing explode on the last rock garden? I wondered if my bike was going to explode before it got to the line...and still got top 10 pro class. GEEZ! But I wouldn't have gotten much more.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
bizutch said:
not nice. Was there anyone on the mountain besides Bosch that DIDN'T witness that thing explode on the last rock garden? I wondered if my bike was going to explode before it got to the line...and still got top 10 pro class. GEEZ! But I wouldn't have gotten much more.
I was in the last rock garden when you came through. Yes I saw it explode, still not sure how you held on. Just giving you some **** man. Tell me what rock it was and I will remove it when I go up there tommorrow to work on the trail. :devil:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
just don't let them cut the tree out entering the last rock garden. It's the most fun part dodging that thing...

Oh...and holding on was a matter of life or death...DID NOT want to find that massive ditch on the right at the bottom.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
bizutch said:
just don't let them cut the tree out entering the last rock garden. It's the most fun part dodging that thing...
That isn't going to happen unless the weather takes it down at some point.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
manimal said:
hmm....i'll see if i can get friday off too. you game for camping or hotel? i've got cheetos and a sleeping bag :D
Hey Tubs, I will be looking for people to get a room up there with, to save money. Let me know if you go. I will be there Friday and Sat.

Cecil