Quantcast

Massanutten Questions

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I'm thinking of coming down to VA for the race at Massanutten in May. Turns out, I can fly from Maine and rent a car for probably less than it would cost me to drive, but I'm trying to get some details figured out.

1. Lodging - I've read that last year they offered $65/night rates for racers. Does anyone know whether they'll do it again this year?

2. Sunday - due to Mothers' Day, they're planning to have practice on Friday and racing on Saturday. Will they be running the lifts on Sunday for freeriding, or should I just plan to pack up and head out Saturday night/Sunday morning?

3. Equipment - Because I'm flying, I won't have the luxury of bringing a numerous sets of tires or much backup equipment. So what sort of course should I expect? Fast, wide open, and not too steep (Mount Snow sans Yard Sale)? Steep, tight, loamy (Sunday River)? Hardpack (Diablo/Whistler)? Rocky (Plattekill)? Basically, I've got to pick out tires and a bike - I can either bring my Shocker/888 or my Bullit/DHX Air/Totem Air.

Thanks guys,

--JP

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
1. they've been doing that deal on rooms as long as I've been going there I believe. just call the resort and ask.

2. Pretty sure they won't be running the lifts on sunday, I've never heard of that.

3. expect to get flats. Its pretty much balls to the wall the whole time if want it to be. And there are tons and tons of ill-shaped rocks ready to slice your tires. Relatively hard pack with some wide, super loamy turns everywhere.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
John,

As far as the lodging, they have been offering that $65 a night thing for years now. Its right by the resort and works out well.

They dont run the lifts on Sunday, but I know there is good riding nearby, I am sure you could hook up with the locals for some shuttles somewhere.

The course if dry, is fast flowy loamy singletrack. Typical east coast rocks up top and at the bottom. Its not steep, but it is extremely fun.
The dirt is brilliant.
As far as tires, I always run 2.5 comp 16s there, and I think the Maxxis choice is 2.5 Minions.
One other thing, if there is ever a course you want to be running tubeless tires on, it is this one.
Every year there are guys walking down that were running 40 psi in Dh tires and still flatting. It not really difficult but the upper rock section is a tire destroyer.
As far as a bike, you might as well toss a coin on that one.
I have raced for years on full on DH rigs, but last year raced it on my SX trail/totem setup. It honestly evened out.
But this year, I will race a Demo there.
Dammit, this thread makes me wish this race was next weekend.:twitch:
Hope you can make it.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Post up in the Virginia forum when you're coming down.

You're welcome to hang out in the pit area on the slope with us if you need tools or anything.

We have been having a cookout in the hotel parking lot the last couple years on Friday night.. Stop by for some food and a brew.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
so mike i must know is it worth the 6hr drive from asheville man. ive heard you guys talk about it and i think this year is the year that were gonna get up there. thanks for the info by the way guys.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
DHF front and rear. Probably a 2.5 tubeless if you have it. I have never flatted there. I have seen crap loads of guys walking with a flat. They usually seem to flat in the gradual slope just before you pop out on the first fireroad. There must be a ninja in there some place since I can't seem to see where the square edges are that take out tubes so much.

I would run the DH bike but you will be fine on either.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Hey, Team Elevate is coming down from NY for Massanutten as well (with 'lil Geoff Ulmer in tow). I have a few qu as well:

1. I tried to book a condo, but was told that I had to wait until 1 month prior to my date, as that's when they get the availability list. Is this standard, or did I just get some wacky lady on the phone?

2. Are there other trails to DH on besides the race course? My wife wants to get some riding in but doesn't want to race.

THANKS - Jim

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
so mike i must know is it worth the 6hr drive from asheville man. ive heard you guys talk about it and i think this year is the year that were gonna get up there. thanks for the info by the way guys.
It isn't the best course in the world but it is a fun early season track. I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you come out for it, great event that is a ton of fun.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Hey, Team Elevate is coming down from NY for Massanutten as well (with 'lil Geoff Ulmer in tow). I have a few qu as well:

1. I tried to book a condo, but was told that I had to wait until 1 month prior to my date, as that's when they get the availability list. Is this standard, or did I just get some wacky lady on the phone?

2. Are there other trails to DH on besides the race course? My wife wants to get some riding in but doesn't want to race.

THANKS - Jim
Yes that's pretty much SOP for them on the condo.

There is only the DH course on that side of the mountain. She can do what I do. Pay your money, ride Friday and Saturday and take your run. She doesn't have to "race".

Snowshoe would be a much better place for multiple riding options.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Yes that's pretty much SOP for them on the condo.

There is only the DH course on that side of the mountain. She can do what I do. Pay your money, ride Friday and Saturday and take your run. She doesn't have to "race".

Snowshoe would be a much better place for multiple riding options.
Thanks for the info!

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Post up in the Virginia forum when you're coming down.

You're welcome to hang out in the pit area on the slope with us if you need tools or anything.

We have been having a cookout in the hotel parking lot the last couple years on Friday night.. Stop by for some food and a brew.
I can highly recommend the cookout. Just avoid strange women offering margaritas. Do not want.

I'm completely stoked for the race though. Going to be my first real downhilling of the year probably. I'm so out of shape it isn't funny. College will do awful things to you.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Massanutten for me has always been about just getting back into the swing of dh race season. It's more about having a good time, running into folks you haven't seen all winter....or longer.....and checking out everyone's new parts and frames. It's also a really good chance to see who put in their time/effort and did their homework during the winter!

The course, as others have stated, is a good re-intro to the coming summer season! It's enough to test your skill and speed for early season, yet doesn't require you to be 100% mentally or physically to have a good run on. I guess what I mean is you don't have to put in a risky run, on the edge the entire way down, to be competitive at Massanutten.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
As Jim Mac said, 8-10 of us caravaning down from NY. Can't wait!! :thumb: I'm on a new bike this season and am looking forward to using this race to dial it in!! :) Is it May yet???! :D

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'm bringing my Rebel Yell for that section! Reminds me of the 1st and only rocky section of last year's Duryea race.
Yes, very similar.

Last year Manimal entered the section and proclaimed "I'M A SUPERHERO!!!" and pinned it through. It was cool.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Yes, very similar.

Last year Manimal entered the section and proclaimed "I'M A SUPERHERO!!!" and pinned it through. It was cool.
Haha good one. I'm hoping to go to this one. My last final is the wednesday before the race so hopefully i'll have all of my stuff ready.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
im bummed i wont be able to make it to this race. my freakin gf is graduating from college that weekend im pist lol. i might have to break it off with her so i can go....:lighten: