Quantcast

Massanutten Race or practice stories...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Figure to keep the two somewhat separate from the pics....

I had a great practice day...4 runs, 1st being goos and the last one was good. The two in betweeners had two traffic jams @ both of the hard right steep switch backs.

Race day practice was AWESOME!! I killed it. Race run, in Sport 40+, we ran toward the end. I started out of the shoot, hit the mud hole rut, hit the rock, was too slow so I had a couple of pedal strokes, hit the next log up to the flat off camber, and slid. It was a mudhole and all I can guess is I didn't carry enough speed. Either way, it took out my rear brake and my rear was grinding. I was told I did not completely drop, so I took off, a bit tentative with no rear brakes. I decide to try to finish the race because my tires were working great and hooking up great ALL weekend, So I figure I could fade my front breaks and

I decided to go for it, and finish the race. On the second hard right switchback, I took the inside line, and finished destroying my rear derailleur I coasted the rest of the way. I managed enough speed to carry me through the last rock garden with a a couple of leg kicks, Fred Flinstone style....By the time I hit the last little drop, my chain, rear derailleur, a couple spokes decide to no longer spin....

So I dragged my bike across the finish. I FINISHED THE RACE! It was a largely expensive race run...But damn it, I finished. I also did not place last.

Now, for the expensive part. Fixing my bike....$$$$$ :disgust1:

S

seespotendo

well being that i got there friday morning i got 3 practice runs.....
my first was probably the most embarrasing...:banghead:
after leaving the starting gate i ended up going down just before the first big rock. that deep rut there, ate my bike up and i went over the bars (i think?). I landed right beside 3 guys that were walking up. so embarrassing!! haha.
and every run i believe i wrecked twice...

and whatever happened to the radar gun on the fireroad sprint??? wasnt there supposed to be some cash for the fastest???

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I felt like it was the second day ever riding a bike during my race run. Totally rode like ****, I couldn't keep my feet on the pedals to save my life.

Best part was my wife and two little girls were screaming for me when I crossed the finish line so none of that ****ing **** mattered one bit!!! They were happy as a pig in mud to see me. Best feeling ever.

DHAlicia

Chimp
Apr 27, 2008
Bethel, CT
What a fun course, practice was loads of fun, as well as the people!

Despite having a great first half of my actual race and then having quite the crash from an unexpected mud puddle that had developed some kind of rut or something in it that took me out (which was not there for my 8 and 8:30 am practice runs) after that crash I lost my cool and crashed both those two tight right hand corners nearly taking out a spectator in the second one. Still, it was a really great time, even though I ended up finsihing DFL in my category. Well, after all, IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST right? :-) Shake and bake!!!

BTW, Team Lummox--you guys are an awesome group of people. Myself and my husband Jesse met you in the hotel parking lot--Thanks again for the high quality brew, and to Mark noticed a serious missing bolt from my rear suspesion triangle and fixed up my bike like a pro mechanic. Dude's tool kit and mechanic skills were amazing!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
36 mph was the fastest? I thought it was going to be closer to 46. :D I clocked a 33 on my race run. :monkeydance:

Great weekend. My practice runs on Friday were ok, but with those 2 sharp right hand corners getting bottle-necked all the time it was hard to get a full top to bottom run in. My 2 practice runs on Sat. felt better than Friday though. I ended up hitting a tree in my race run though that probably cost me close to 10 seconds after all was said and done. Oh well, what can ya do... :rolleyes:

Massanutten is a great resort and everyone there was really nice. :) Wish they had more trails though and would allow freeriding. I wouldn't mind getting back there next year. :thumb: Nice to meet Mancil finally and though I didn't get a chance to say "hi", I now know who SK6, Manimal and a couple other of you monkeys are. :monkey:

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
What a fun course, practice was loads of fun, as well as the people!

Despite having a great first half of my actual race and then having quite the crash from an unexpected mud puddle that had developed some kind of rut or something in it that took me out (which was not there for my 8 and 8:30 am practice runs) after that crash I lost my cool and crashed both those two tight right hand corners nearly taking out a spectator in the second one. Still, it was a really great time, even though I ended up finsihing DFL in my category. Well, after all, IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST right? :-) Shake and bake!!!

BTW, Team Lummox--you guys are an awesome group of people. Myself and my husband Jesse met you in the hotel parking lot--Thanks again for the high quality brew, and to Mark noticed a serious missing bolt from my rear suspesion triangle and fixed up my bike like a pro mechanic. Dude's tool kit and mechanic skills were amazing!

I hit that damn hole in the puddle HARD in my race run, it wasn't there in practice Sunday morning, that's for sure! lol