Quantcast

Massanutten race

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Anything around the mountain to get into after hours? i'll be up there with turnerdhr, and we basically don't know anybody else. Anybody wants to hang out and down some brews Friday night, look for the guy with the jew-fro. I'll be on a Giant Faith, and my buddy will be on a *surprise* turner dhr.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
paul, thats un-american
It's not that I don't like America, It's that I really like to ride my bike. You never know, this year's massanutten could be the best race of your year. While on the other hand you will have plenty of chances in your life to take out a girl who just wants to fit in, spend waaaay too much on everything, go to an afterparty, get hammered, then puke.

I'll choose the former option, considering that I've been doing the latter for the past few months.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
It's not that I don't like America, It's that I really like to ride my bike. You never know, this year's massanutten could be the best race of your year. While on the other hand you will have plenty of chances in your life to take out a girl who just wants to fit in, spend waaaay too much on everything, go to an afterparty, get hammered, then puke.

I'll choose the former option, considering that I've been doing the latter for the past few months.

You forgot the part about sloppy drunken intercourse.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I see more flats every year at this race in 2 days than I see the entire rest of the summer. The first 30-45 seconds of the race is filled with square edged sharp ass rocks.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
What pressures everyone running at the course? Dh or xc tubes?

Ill be there racing beginner u18
DH tubes fo sho. I don't remember what I had last year, but I never flatted. Just bring plenty of tubes along, and be prepared to switch them out a.s.a.p. so you can get back out into practice.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
2.7 DHF, 2.5 DHR 25psi tubeless

no flats, but I did see too many people to count walking with flats. I would say if your using DH tubes with DH tires, run 25-28psi. The pressure is highly dependent on what tire you are using. Maxxis run best around 25 psi. Intense run best around 18-20 psi. Most others run best at 30+psi to prevent flats.

Commentary: I think Maxxis DH tires have the best compromise between weight, performance and pinch flat resistance.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
Im going trial and error. Friday I will find the lowest psi for my nevagals with spare tubes & a good pump in a camel back to make things fast.
I never made down the mt. last year on practice runs due to flats. I now know the psi for a hard tail "Hard". Its called a hard tail for a reason. My idea, Use your own judgement. Travel, tire casing, tubes-tubless. Race what you brought.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
don't ride kendas. :brows:

i've always ridden maxxis minion and high rollers at medium pressure (i just feel it and don't measure it) and have never gotten a flat at massanutten in 3 years.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
No tests the monday after that weekend so I'll definately be there! If I've never raced before will I survive just practicing saturday morning? I'm not worried about trying to win, I just wanna finish. w00t

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
man i'm excited. i real want to go to this race and it looks like i'm going to be able to make it. i will be riding in the hardtail class. as for kendas i have had good luck with about 40-45psi in the back. remeber that is on a hardtail though. i remember one time i flatspotted the **** out of a mag30 rim and my tire didn't go flat. that wasa with a kenda dh tube though as well. with htat setup i never flatted and i only had to air it up like once every 3 months or so and i ran that combination for like 2 years.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
man i'm excited. i real want to go to this race and it looks like i'm going to be able to make it. i will be riding in the hardtail class. as for kendas i have had good luck with about 40-45psi in the back. remeber that is on a hardtail though. i remember one time i flatspotted the **** out of a mag30 rim and my tire didn't go flat. that wasa with a kenda dh tube though as well. with htat setup i never flatted and i only had to air it up like once every 3 months or so and i ran that combination for like 2 years.
Hey, maybe you can come up with the Richmond crew.

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
I ran tubeless for 2 years without a flat (stans, xc). If you do it right its simple to run any tire tubelless.
I've been a fan of the nevagals since they hit the market though I will have an Intense on the rear of my hard tail so I can run a lower preasure. I am also doing the expert with nevagals front and rear. Anyone want to do some shuttle runs in the Harrisonburg, Sherando or Wintergreen area?

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
I'll be there for sure...racing on a hardtail for sure, maybe I'll have a dual by then...who knows. One thing's for sure, I ran Continental Diesels at SS last year, 25psi, no flats. Massanutten doesnt scare me with their stupid rocks. That's not even a tire I've seen anyone else race, but its thick and it grips pretty well. Although I dunno, maybe I'll throw on some Maxxis tires just for kicks.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
To anyone that has been there: what family related things are there to do? I am thinking of bringing the wife and kids and they need be kept entertained while I ride.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
To anyone that has been there: what family related things are there to do? I am thinking of bringing the wife and kids and they need be kept entertained while I ride.
There is a huge indoor waterpark that has sort of a mall around it.
Inside there is a bar, bowling alley, candy store, bar, restaurant, did I mention bar?
Last year they were building a go-kart track next to the resort hotel we were in. Of course there is golf. The restaurant by the golf course had pretty good food for a reasonable price.
There is a general store that had a little of everything. Tennis courts.
A spa.
Hell, go to the website and see for yourself,
http://www.massresort.com/

I wish I could bring the family, but the kids would miss too much school.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Its Really, really, Really, really, Really rocky!

The top rock garden gets most people's tires, and if you make it through that, then the bottom rock garden will getcha!

The ski lift doesn't go all the way to the top, and they have a truck that will take you from the ski lift to the top, but from past experiances, DO NOT RIDE IN THAT TRUCK! Its only like a 6 minute hike, and totally worth NOT dying in the truck! People only seem to take pictures at the end rock garden, which looks pretty knarly, but if you keep your speed up, you should be able to make it through no problem. Just don't pay attention to the rocks and trees that they always paint orange for some stupid reason, remember, where you look is where you go!

I dug up These Pics from our illustrious leader SK6 (of the bottom rock garden) and Here Is someones really short video of the bottom rock garden. Good luck finding any pics of anything besides that! (its easy to get to, and thats where most of the crashes happen)