Quantcast

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Would prob. be a lil better turnout if not in conflict with another race though.
Doubt it. From what I've seen over the years, the bulk of the Northeast crew considers Massanutten just as big of a drive as we do. Don't know definitive numbers, but it always seems to be the East Coast pros and then folks from Maryland and down.

k8piranha

Chimp
Nov 30, 2010
Not sure what this means but this was posted on the GES facebook page yesterday:

from the GES director "Wish Massanutten and Plattekill were not the same weekend"
Hmmm I wonder what Plattekill race is that same weekend... According to the UCI schedule the Plattekill Gravity Open is 5/21-22/2011

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
The tags for this thread are epic.

The racing system at plattekill is pretty confusing. They have their own race series, GES stuff, the KHS gravity open (at least that's what it was called last season), the Eastern States cup, and I THINK there was a Pro GRT race there this past season too, right?

So, even though their Gravity Open is on the 22nd weekend that doesn't necessarily mean they don't have a race scheduled the weekend of massanutten. I think they opened the 2010 season with a race so maybe they're thinking of doing the same next year. Either way, stoked because an April 30th opening is earlier than usual. Sweet.

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Hmmm I wonder what Plattekill race is that same weekend... According to the UCI schedule the Plattekill Gravity Open is 5/21-22/2011
It may be a race in the Series up that way.
Ih8 chimed in on my post a while back when we announced our date on
cyclingnews.

Downhill racing has not had a lot of conflicts over the years, but I do remember
folks racing in VA on Saturday & driving up to Platty for Sundays event 8-10
years ago.

I am sure someone will pull that off in 2011 if we end up racing on the same
weekend. Lets hope not so we all can ride and hang out together.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The tags for this thread are epic.

The racing system at plattekill is pretty confusing. They have their own race series, GES stuff, the KHS gravity open (at least that's what it was called last season), the Eastern States cup, and I THINK there was a Pro GRT race there this past season too, right?

So, even though their Gravity Open is on the 22nd weekend that doesn't necessarily mean they don't have a race scheduled the weekend of massanutten. I think they opened the 2010 season with a race so maybe they're thinking of doing the same next year. Either way, stoked because an April 30th opening is earlier than usual. Sweet.
its not that confusing. edit: on second thought, maybe it is lol

all races they hold are part of their own series and the ESC (Eastern States Cup)

other races they hold - GES, ProGRT (yes they had a stop last year - I hope they get another one this year), etc - the results count for their own series and the ESC, as well as whatever other series is part of each particular event event.

Laz just likes to name each race. Like how the end of season race is always called "Last Chance for Glory" or something. I suspect that the "Gravity Open" is just another name for an event, but I could be wrong.

If anyone has better info than this please feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Doubt it. From what I've seen over the years, the bulk of the Northeast crew considers Massanutten just as big of a drive as we do. Don't know definitive numbers, but it always seems to be the East Coast pros and then folks from Maryland and down.
Hey Butch,

Lots of riders come down from above Maryland, Virginia is the Hub of the East
Coast. I have to say the geographical location alone is why we have 23 states and Canada racing.
I agree the spring races have great turnout compared to Fall.

Peace

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
I had a great time last year and the course is challenging for early spring though I was a little surprised by the number of wrecked bodies in 2010.

The excellent 40+ competition will keep me coming back......

J

k8piranha

Chimp
Nov 30, 2010
other races they hold - GES, ProGRT (yes they had a stop last year - I hope they get another one this year)
I'm willing to bet that the 'gravity open' on May 22 will be part of the ProGRT. I don't think it would be listed on the UCI schedule otherwise. It'll be a UCI ranked event for the pros.

But back to Massanutten - I'm hoping to make 2011 my first year to go. Should be fun. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm willing to bet that the 'gravity open' on May 22 will be part of the ProGRT. I don't think it would be listed on the UCI schedule otherwise. It'll be a UCI ranked event for the pros.
I'm inclined to agree, as it was called the "KHS Gravity Open" for the ProGRT last season.

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
Dan has a tough position. Its a lot of time to work with the venues, sponsors,
& travel to all the events.
lets not forget Allsports event timing handling the registration, timing, and points, and the individual Mountains work crews setting the course etc....... I'm pretty sure they account for 99% of the effort on a race weekend. lets give a little credit where it is due.

Oh back on Topic: Massanutten has billy goats wandering around the start gate -- thats worth the trip right there!

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
lets not forget Allsports event timing handling the registration, timing, and points, and the individual Mountains work crews setting the course etc....... I'm pretty sure they account for 99% of the effort on a race weekend. lets give a little credit where it is due.

Oh back on Topic: Massanutten has billy goats wandering around the start gate -- thats worth the trip right there![/QUOTE

You are spot on my friend!

Native billy goats on the Massanutten Peak. Great for the Downhill Riders
and snow season.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Oh back on Topic: Massanutten has billy goats wandering around the start gate -- thats worth the trip right there![/QUOTE

You are spot on my friend!

Native billy goats on the Massanutten Peak. Great for the Downhill Riders
and snow season.
Haha, that's great. I thought I heard some goats up there but never saw them. I'll also add that if you're into riding trails, there are some great tech trails on the mountain.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Just to clarify I enjoy the current course but I would like to see some new features and possibly some different sections for cat1/pro. I'm not hating on Massanutten but making it to that race is often challenge for me and improvements to the course would make it easier for me to justify going.

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Currently or five years ago?

Chop & I created the bench trail about 3 years ago to get rid of the
old stupid uphill. Are we on the same page. About 5% we veer left into singletrack
& then cross the access road into the longest single track with the infamous
barrel turns?

The old trail went upill onto the hiking trail and then went flat.
We bypassed all that with a new bench cut.
I understand the bench cut goes uphill a little bit, but we improved
the course over the original design.

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
fyi,

Plattekill Bike Park announced the 2011 schedule at the Eastern States Cup Finals in October. It is tentative and there is a race scheduled for May 1 and a UCI inscribed race May 22nd.

There have been NO announcements regarding any series from Plattekill Bike Park.

Plattekill Bike Park is hard at work trying to finalize everything, so hopefully there will be an announcement shortly.

That is all.

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
fyi,

Plattekill Bike Park announced the 2011 schedule at the Eastern States Cup Finals in October. It is tentative and there is a race scheduled for May 1 and a UCI inscribed race May 22nd.

There have been NO announcements regarding any series from Plattekill Bike Park.

Plattekill Bike Park is hard at work trying to finalize everything, so hopefully there will be an announcement shortly.

That is all.
Thanks for the announcement. I hope we all can work together on the calendar
as the years continue to roll on.

Happy Holidays

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yes Butch, and that's why I will go faster than you at the bird on my trail bike! :thumb:

I don't mind sprinting on flat ground, but seriously, through a single track uphill with rocks?
I sense jealousy Craiger. You might want to check results as you've lost races more to me than you've beaten me. And I think that includes the trails you helped build. And shame on you for not being able to beat a 38 year old who rides once a week. :rofl:

And as an FYI to all, that "uphill" was smooth as glass the first year, but the rocks at Mass have roots and just keep growing when you water them.

If I can sprint that thing with an extra 10 pounds of muffin top on my waist, your butt can too.;)