Quantcast

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Moving on over to get off Dowhill Milke,s Whiteface thread.
The next Yee-Ha! will take place on April 29 - 30, 2011.

The comment below popped up out of the blue, but I find it very funny.
fortenndu can fling poo with the best of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADHPROMO View Post
http://www.massresort.com/v.php?pg=221

We have had zero discussion with the GES crew for 2011, but I can share
we are racing at Massanutten Saturday April 30, 2011. Practice Friday!

I have big news that we may be a non usac event for 2011.
Think that will bring in more racers?
The open class will go away if we drop USAC for 2011.

We are discussing options for GES & USAC for 2011.

If your race isn't USAC there is no way I will be showing up to ride that burnt out 10+year old course, I'm sure there are a fair amount of people who feel the same way. :confused:

A personal PM I sent to Fortenndu.

Dear Sir,

My name is George & I have promoted the
YEE-HA! over the past dozen years.

Just curious if you are willing to pass on why our course
is blown out in your opinion?
Did you race last year?
We did a lot of nice work after the spring blowout the year prior.

I feel folks either hate or love usac, but I am
neutral & considering dropping the sanction for 2011.

No worries on this end but if you did race last year
I am surprised you would label our track "blown out."

Happy Holidays.

PS: I sent this as a PM but then decided to share.

The opinions expressed in this message are mine only and do not reflect
the opinion or position of my employer.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fortenndu is a known hater. he was runner up for hater of the year at the 2009 player hater's ball. that kid could be given a brand new benz and he would find something about it to hate on. not worth the effort.

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
let me put his "hate" into a more resonable perspective. Think about how much the DH bike has changed in the last 10 years. Then maybe think about how much your course has changed in the last 10 years, has it changed with the changing bike tech/speed? Todays racing is on a totally different level then it was 10 years ago. Some of the best courses i ride these days are specifically designed for speed. Last spring was my first time at massanutten, and i would agree, a new course or total re-vamp is necessary. There are parts of the course that were all well and fun, but there was a major lack of speed/flow in other areas. I have a long drive from northern vermont, and to me it is not worth going to unless its gonna have points that count towards something. Not, hating, just some observations.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

To each his own obviously, but I thought last year's race was the best one I've been to. If anything, I thought the track was a helluva lot better than in years past, as its getting rough as hell in certain parts (which I like). While it was certainly quite dry this past year, I felt like I was absolutely flying compared to my previous efforts (which was verified by my race times). To me, this course has basically everything a proper DH track should have: east coast rox (Hulk style) - check, some pedaling sections which test fitness - check, balls out speed sections - check, some techy corners that seperate the hacks (i.e. me) from the pinners - check, moar east coast rox - check. I look forward to the race every year, regardless of USAC affiliation, and I plan to be there on April 30, 2011.

However, as with any track, you can always spruce it up by throwing in a new jump, berm, or slight re-route, but Mass is kinda like the Ft. Bill (which has its detractors too) of the Mid-Atlantic - you know what you're getting every year, and its still fun for most people.

Thanks George!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
One year they had a berm on the last fire road that catapulted you back up into the woods......that would benefit all racers i think...

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
I remember building that berm while we had a machine on the access road.

Every year is different when it comes to tools and moving dirt, but I can share we have
set aside a tabletop skate ramp prior to the finish. We also have plans of re-vamping
the start ramp.

We will create the proper launch transition out of dirt to wood landing.
Pictures and video pre race will be coming at you next spring.

We are using bikereg.com for the YEE-HA! pre-registration.
We also plan on bringing back the fastrack registration for 2011.

Fulmer Helments & KENDA are on board for 2011.
Ski season on top of us but I am always working on the mountainbike events year round
Peace!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I thought Charlie was gonna take it, he looked pinned going into the last woods section and down the bottom rocks.
True, but Silky's line through the top rock section was so smooth that everyone else was finished before they started. :rofl:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've raced Mass 8 out of the last 10 years and the course is not out of line for the new bikes. It's fast, flowy, fun, rugged, has sprint sections and a fast lift. Plenty of parking, great accomadations, accurate timing, advance date announcement and friendly staff.

Fresh food at the finish too.

USAC sanctioning protects the riders with secondary insurance coverage if there is an injury and your provider does not either partially or fully cover the medical bills. My ACL was only $4k of a $16k bill thanks to USAC protection.

UCI points and a hip up the bank to the right and back down 1/3 of the way down the last fire road would be my only suggestions to take it up a notch.

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
The hip up the bank or looking at that has been suggested my boss.
Massanutten's one & only mountain bike director has been in charge since the
first event circa 1989.

Ken, Chris Scott, Paul Hanson & myself cut the trail for the 97 WC.
I take full credit for the bottom rock garden myself. The trail dead ended at the
top with the plan of building more turns.
I walked up claimed, Straight Down.

On a side note John Tomac stood at the top of the bottom rock garden remarked;
"If you had 1.5 mile track like this you would have something Ken"
John Tomac 1997.

Enough history for now.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I'm allowed to have my opinions and I'm allowed to give you constructive criticism, if I come to your race I am giving you my money. Put more work into the course and make it a USAC race and I'm there, put more work into the course and I'm probably there, do nothing to the course and not have it a USAC race and I'm not giving you my money.

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
VADHPROMO,

Rode that course some years back and it was a total blast. I'm hoping I can make it down there next year regardless if it is a Gravity East race or not, and I would recommend to any person within a days drive to check it out as well. Still think it's too bad that it is not a Sunday race, but as sure as the Sea Otter DH is a bit of joke, I guess I'll accept this as the quirky beginning of the season east coast race :)

And don't worry about the whole GES thing as there will probably be a solid turnout in either case. Anyway, I think the masses will get more restless hearing that Pkill isn't going to have a GES in 2011.

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
I feel we do most if not all of your suggestions in the post above. I questioned if you raced last summer after all of the trail work was completed.
If you are judging our course from 2009 I can see where the course was blown out.
We fixed it.
All of our Downhill events have been sanctioned by Norba Or Usac since 1997 and prior.

The OPEN & Hardtail class will survive on April 29&30, 2011

It seems the Downhilll Racers are looking for Qualifying races and points from USAC.
We will check into the VA state championship bid and raise the question of whats
available to join for next spring. Hopefully we can help riders qualify for nationals at the YEE-HA! (Virginia State Championship ) state championship races qualify for Nat

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
VADHPROMO,

Rode that course some years back and it was a total blast. I'm hoping I can make it down there next year regardless if it is a Gravity East race or not, and I would recommend to any person within a days drive to check it out as well. Still think it's too bad that it is not a Sunday race, but as sure as the Sea Otter DH is a bit of joke, I guess I'll accept this as the quirky beginning of the season east coast race :)

And don't worry about the whole GES thing as there will probably be a solid turnout in either case. Anyway, I think the masses will get more restless hearing that Pkill isn't going to have a GES in 2011.
THANKS FOR CHIMING in & the race track has improved. Come on down
in the spring and we can show you around our super D course and western
slope. No Lift access but plenty of great riding to be had. The Saturday
race day & Friday practice helps us keep the cost down of running a Sunday
event. We like being compared to the Sea Otter of the East Coast.
I am glad our course is way better than California's opener.

See ya soon.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
THANKS FOR CHIMING in & the race track has improved. Come on down
in the spring and we can show you around our super D course and western
slope. No Lift access but plenty of great riding to be had. The Saturday
race day & Friday practice helps us keep the cost down of running a Sunday
event. We like being compared to the Sea Otter of the East Coast.
I am glad our course is way better than California's opener.

See ya soon.
Yep, the course made me grin ear to ear. Although it definitely gave me the worst arm pump of any course I've ever rode.... but that's mostly because I had to swap out tubes and tires no less than 5 times in one day :eek:

That was also the day I determined that I didn't dislike Kenda tires, but hated them :p

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
The wheel damage and flat tires is crazy every year. The rocks in Rockingham county
have always been a relentless for sure. Harrisonburg has the nickname Rocktown and
it fits.
The World Cup riders were flatting right out of the gate, but that rock has been smoothed over during one of the construction efforts on the Massanutten Peak.
The race pace bring out the carnage for sure.
Air up more than usual for sure.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
The wheel damage and flat tires is crazy every year. The rocks in Rockingham county
have always been a relentless for sure. Harrisonburg has the nickname Rocktown and
it fits.
The World Cup riders were flatting right out of the gate, but that rock has been smoothed over during one of the construction efforts on the Massanutten Peak.
The race pace bring out the carnage for sure.
Air up more than usual for sure.
That was the only race where I was glad I used my buddies pump with a busted gauge. I was wondering how I survived the entire weekend without a single flat when everyone else seemed to get them on every other run, when I checked my tire pressure (after my race run) with a guage that worked I discovered I was riding with 50 psi. :rofl:

Nov 29, 2005
South Boston kid guy
First year racing it last year - long ass drive from Boston but I had a great time and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of racers down there - very few I recognized from NE races. When I drove in I thought Jesus I drove all this way for this tiny mountain? but once on the bike I had a blast riding the course.

I can see how a couple areas may have lacked flow and killed your speed as you shot up a quirky corner or two and hair pinned down a tech section after but I kinda dug it. It was different then most tracks I have seen and challenging in weird ways + it was downhill so that makes it good in my book. Some sections easy and fast and lots of rocks.

My biggest problem with it (which I know can't change) was the fact that the race was on Saturday. This meant leaving Ma mid day Thursday taking off work and still missed most of practice Friday ha. However it allowed for a sweet roller coaster pit stop at Hersey Park, PA on Sunday which is empty at that time of year and I highly recommend.

Looking back I think that was one of my most enjoyable overall road trips of the 2010 race season. Would make the trek down in 2011 but I will be out of the country :(

Last edited:

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
I missed the race last year,due to another race( hill climb) that the wife and I did that weekend, but I have raced there for at least 7 of the 10 years, I think that the course is just fine.But I will be there this year.

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
First year racing it last year - long ass drive from Boston but I had a great time and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of racers down there - very few I recognized from NE races. When I drove in I thought Jesus I drove all this way for this tiny mountain? but once on the bike I had a blast riding the course.

I can see how a couple areas may have lacked flow and killed your speed as you shot up a quirky corner or two and hair pinned down a tech section after but I kinda dug it. It was different then most tracks I have seen and challenging in weird ways + it was downhill so that makes it good in my book. Some sections easy and fast and lots of rocks.

My biggest problem with it (which I know can't change) was the fact that the race was on Saturday. This meant leaving Ma mid day Thursday taking off work and still missed most of practice Friday ha. However it allowed for a sweet roller coaster pit stop at Hersey Park, PA on Sunday which is empty at that time of year and I highly recommend.

Looking back I think that was one of my most enjoyable overall road trips of the 2010 race season. Would make the trek down in 2011 but I will be out of the country :(
Thanks for the great post. Keep em coming and come on down in 2012.
We have the HOO-HA! Super D on Saturday June 4,2011

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC
Not sure what this means but this was posted on the GES facebook page yesterday:

from the GES director "Wish Massanutten and Plattekill were not the same weekend"

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
As a former race promoter, spring races rule. We always had our highest turn out for them.

As a racer, spring races are like losing your virginity all over again. It's nerve racking, awkward, clumsy. You fumble alot. You go down trying too hard to get it right. For some it kinda hurts. Your exertion leaves you winded. And you usually gas faster than you wanted. And at the end of the day, you don't get credit for your performance:thumb:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I personally could give a fart less if it is USAC! I know they just drag us all down, besides offering some insurance to anyone who is not smart enough to race/ride DH without their own.
The course is a good, a little old school - A jump or two would improve the course but, this race enables the folks without full DH equipment to come out and race and yet still challenging on a DH rig if you haul azz.
Would prob. be a lil better turnout if not in conflict with another race though.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
As a former race promoter, spring races rule. We always had our highest turn out for them.

As a racer, spring races are like losing your virginity all over again. It's nerve racking, awkward, clumsy. You fumble alot. You go down trying too hard to get it right. For some it kinda hurts. Your exertion leaves you winded. And you usually gas faster than you wanted. And at the end of the day, you don't get credit for your performance:thumb:
Shoot Butch you must have been training for this bad boy this past year?
I'll give you credit man, you went faster than I have seen you go in a while!

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Not sure what this means but this was posted on the GES facebook page yesterday:

from the GES director "Wish Massanutten and Plattekill were not the same weekend"
It seems to me the Series Director trying to keep everyone in the loop.

Dan has a tough position. Its a lot of time to work with the venues, sponsors,
& travel to all the events.