Quantcast

Massanutten (sp?) race may 14

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
anybody going? i've never been to 'nutten...how is it? fun? i'm actually off that weekend and plan on going.

just looking for a little insider info on the course and scene?

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
manimal said:
anybody going? i've never been to 'nutten...how is it? fun? i'm actually off that weekend and plan on going.

I went last year and will most likely be going again this year. the course is really easy but still really fun.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
manimal said:

Brady and I are going for the first time. I see you're back on a Big Hit and as of next weekend, so will I. Just for old time's sake, I'll wrap the flannell around your head and fart in it. It'll be great!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
wow...just mapquest'd it...almost 4.5 hours. crap, that's farther than fontana. anybody want to carpool?

their site says its an RCI resort....my family has RCI timeshares out the arse, perhaps i can cash in one of my promised getaways and stay for a few days...do they run the lifts all the time or just for the race/practice?

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
The Mass-o-nutten race is the only time that bikes are allowed on the mountain. The course, although I've never ridden it is apparently quite easy. they have a hardtail class even. You can either preregister, or show up sat morning. it's about an hour and a half from where i am, and I live about 3 hours north of the VA/NC border on I-81. I'll try and find a link to post

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Massanutten is a fun course. It was a former World Cup course but since then courses have gotten much gnarlier. There's a cool rock garden off the start with lot's of big off camber slabs. A fire road bomb into a tiny bit of uphill. Cross the road again and the fun starts, fast and flowy singletrack with a couple suprise hard right turns over some rocks. Back out on a fireroad for a bit then into the woods for a bit into a huge steep rockgarden to a easy drop off to the finish under the lift.

There is practice on Fri from 12 to 5 (reg starts at 8:30) and before the race on Sat from 8:00 to 11:45.

Hope to see you there. Stop by for a beer. Look for a big blue Chevy Van with a white trailer hitched to it. Ask for Mike.

Registration and Schedule http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1214424

Mike

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
manimal said:
wow...just mapquest'd it...almost 4.5 hours. crap, that's farther than fontana. anybody want to carpool?

their site says its an RCI resort....my family has RCI timeshares out the arse, perhaps i can cash in one of my promised getaways and stay for a few days...do they run the lifts all the time or just for the race/practice?
I can't see how it would take you 4.5 hours to get there. It only took us just over 4 hours and winston salem seems alot closer than coming from raleigh.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
DHracer1067 said:
I can't see how it would take you 4.5 hours to get there. It only took us just over 4 hours and winston salem seems alot closer than coming from raleigh.

massanutten is NE from my location and directly N from you. Raleigh is NE of Winston/Greensboro. You're closer by almost an hour since you can just go straight north. takes me a solid hour+ to get to raleigh. its not much of a difference but you're definitely closer.

and yes...i'm bored so i drew a picture :D

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
manimal said:
massanutten is NE from my location and directly N from you. Raleigh is NE of Winston/Greensboro. You're closer by almost an hour since you can just go straight north. takes me a solid hour+ to get to raleigh. its not much of a difference but you're definitely closer.

and yes...i'm bored so i drew a picture :D

aahh. i thought it was a good bit further west than that and pretty close to the va/west va border. But its a fun drive. alot of good scenery on the way.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
if i had to choose between mass. and drk mtn.....which should it be? boss at my other job says he has lots of work for the 14th which means lots of $$ for me. is it worth missing a good $$ opportunity?

Steven

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
North carolina
go to dark mountain, there has been alot of trailwork and should be a good race. I am bringing a lakejump and a bike we can use to lakejump after the races! it should be fun.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I thought I would bring this thread back to life since it is less than two weeks away. This will be the beginning of the racing season for most people 'round here. Who all is for sure going?

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
-Me (Big Hit w/Shiver and Avy...shaved head, unshaved shoulders and back)
-BKquill (04 DHi...mullet and #3 tattoo)
-Taz (04 SGS w/Sherman DC...gay cop moustache and Cru Jones hockey helmet)

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Geez, you're young and gullible. If you believe that, I have a Michie comp 32 2.5 and a bridge in New York to sell you.

fatcats

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
shut up fool, i havent seen him in like 2 months, how the hell should i know he hasnt grown one by now

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
you can call the resort and check with George Willetts, but if I'm not wrong, you camp on the ski slope at the resort. Also, for info on who else is going, cross reference the thread I started in the DH forum.