Quantcast

massanutten... yey or nay ?

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
well im thinking about racing it, but im trying to find info on the race and ill i seem to be doing is going in circles, and making it no where really fast so some feed back from last years race would be great... thanks.

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
yeah ive been to that site to many times its not funny. umm basically wanna know how many racers generally show and what going on at this race, just anything good

mtbingdude

Chimp
Jan 17, 2005
i think it'll be alot of fun... i saw alot off pictures from last year and it looks like a really nice course. me and a friend of mine will be there

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i'd definitely recommend going... probably only an hour from culpeper. and like mike said, it's the one time a year the lifts are open for bikes.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
dhriderII said:
yeah ive been to that site to many times its not funny. umm basically wanna know how many racers generally show and what going on at this race, just anything good
Right at 160 racers last year.....

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
yeah ive been to massanutten befor, and its only like a hour and half or so, but ive never raced or riden the dh there, i went there for some road even or something i forget. thanks guys

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
Actually they have a bunch of cross country courses on the back side of the mountain, but I think you are supposed to be a "guest". That said, the road to the top on that side is closed off, so you are either pedaling or pushing.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
mindlessfr said:
is massanutten open other times during the year to biking?
Yep. BUT.. you need to get a pass.
Stop by Shenandoah Bicycle in Harrisonburg for one. They are free.
They don't run the lift during the summer. If you want to ride the course, you can ride up the fireroad from the top of Lanier drive. It's tough and hot but do-able.

The western slopes have some fine singletrack, and the new trails we've built lately have jumps and berms on them. Fun stuff, but doesn't rate for a DH rig quite yet.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
k...
I raced at a madhra race at ETSU last year. The dh. the dh was single elimination. the dual was a qualifying run to seed you, then a race run.

I've never raced a DH race where you get the best out of 2 runs...