Quantcast

Massanutten

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
IMBA said:
The Shenandoah Mountain Bike Club in Harrisonburg, VA, and the Chequamegon Area Mountain Bike Association in Cable, WI, were each awarded $1,000.

The Shenandoah Mountain Bike Club, in partnership with the Massanutten Four Seasons Resort, is in the process of completely rebuilding a 2.5-mile section of trail featured prominently in the Massanutten Hoo-Ha mountain bike race. The funds awarded will be allocated to help road-to-trail conversions of old logging routes, leaving behind environmentally sustainable trails full of table-tops, berms and hand-constructed rock gardens.
I was bored and cruising IMBA's website and saw this. Sounds pretty cool. Any of you VA monkies involved with this?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
No, sounds damn cool though!

I heard the trail work at Mint Springs is pretty nice too. I think the CAMBC guys are doing a lot of the work there. I'll be checking their site to see if they have any work days I can show up for.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
I've helped a bunch with putting in the Ravine Trail.
It's a tight and super sweet trail. Massanutten (the resort) is very much on board with how the trails have been developed. Lots of flowy swoopy single track, lots of large reversing grade dips (tabletops at the right speed...) and a plethora of alternate technical lines to play on. Super good riding.

Spring time trail work will begin soon (after hunting season). SMBC is doing in kind donations of trail work to get our matching funds for the grants. Trailwork meets Thursday evenings at ~5 pm on the western slope. Look at www.shenandoahbicycle.com for more info.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
Sounds awesome!

Not like Massanutten has seen any snow this season, lets go ride there now!
Massanutten is only rideable on Sunday till Feb. It's hunting season, and it's private property. They've been beefing up security patrols, so be sure and take a trail pass with you. Next season, they are talking about requiring parking passes.

Trouble

Chimp
Sep 16, 2004
Funky Town
by rideable do you mean bikes, or skis and boards?
I think all their snow melted off today.. :twitch:

Rideable by bike on the western slope.
Having raced the DH, and ridden damn near every inch of the mountain.. the stuff on the western slopes easily exceed the crappy DH course on the ski slope side.

Up the road, take a right at the overlook. Out towards kaylors and take your pick... Straight out the 2 miles (which will seem like 4) to Kaylors Knob.. Or buck off the right side on the new upper Ravine Trail.

If you go out to Kaylors... you can hang a right and drop down to Cub Run Rd. Super fast, rocky, technical, tight downhill..
Then you got to turn around and ride back up it.

Or go left, and drop down some sketchy rocky fun most of the way back to the pond.

In all honesty, the DH course is the worst maintained, and least fun downhill on massanutten. You can always drag your ass up there and hit it, no one will stop you from riding up the fireroad... But that said, the trails we've been building are a lot more fun to ride... and the riding won't be just a 4 minute DH run.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
might i ask why they are not considering opening for dh? i just cant understand how the numbers don't line up with all the people from dc/richmond who are willing to drive many hours to snowshoe and diablo. xc is great and all, but papa needs some lift assisted riding.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Massanutten is alot closer to DC as well.
that's what i'm saying. if whitetail wont do it, someone else needs to step up. If these ski area fools dont get their act together we'll just have to pool our cash and buy a ridemonkey ranch out on the edge of wva and install a rope tow or something. :nopity:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
sustainable trails full of table-tops, berms and hand-constructed rock gardens.
So this is for the XC trails only?

Nothing for DH?

weak sauce. :disgust:

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I guess you got to earn it....
Exactly. Seems easier to get the xc'ers to come out and build around here. I know of a few people willing to help, but not enough presence to make it happen. Would be nice though. My neighbor as well as some other monkey's (Jeff) are trying to get something rolling.

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
the western slope stuff is sweet...I know and ride with a lot of the people responsible for those trails; good work guys. Definitely better than the DH course that massofnothing put together.