Quantcast

Massanutten

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
FYI they took out all the trails but the World Cup and 2 of the kiddie trails.
LOL, really? Why bother run the lift in that case? Wonder if they're going to add new trails (soon) or have they just given up?

EDIT - at least based on this POV, it looks like the OG WC track is still there (although it may be completely blown out now) and there's some other trail bits breaking off the race course - but again, it may just be some moderate re-routes to the black diamond track.

East Koast Roxxx

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
LOL, really? Why bother run the lift in that case? Wonder if they're going to add new trails (soon) or have they just given up?

EDIT - at least based on this POV, it looks like the OG WC track is still there (although it may be completely blown out now) and there's some other trail bits breaking off the race course - but again, it may just be some moderate re-routes to the black diamond track.

East Koast Roxxx
I was there this weekend. They said mid summer next year. They're going to make new trails and add another lift. But we're told to make a stink about it. The WC trail is similar to last year's trail.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Greenstone Trailcraft(aka MULESTAR oN TEH MONKEY) is commissioned to build a brand spanking new bikepark, I believe 6 fresh trails on the upper mountain?

Crunchy and Creamy need to die to make room for the new 3x faster lift- most of the new bikepark trails will be on riders right looking down from the summit.

The summit lift won't run this year, just the green lift. The resort will provide shuttles on Friday afternoons for the Western Slope, which is one heck of a great place to ride a modern trailbike.
2024 season at Massanutten might end up being epic AF

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Greenstone Trailcraft(aka MULESTAR oN TEH MONKEY) is commissioned to build a brand spanking new bikepark, I believe 6 fresh trails on the upper mountain?

Crunchy and Creamy need to die to make room for the new 3x faster lift- most of the new bikepark trails will be on riders right looking down from the summit.

The summit lift won't run this year, just the green lift. The resort will provide shuttles on Friday afternoons for the Western Slope, which is one heck of a great place to ride a modern trailbike.
2024 season at Massanutten might end up being epic AF
Moar investment in lift served DH in the Southeast FTW

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Moar investment in lift served DH in the Southeast FTW
The mountain is STOKED on DH. They have done great mid-week rental bussiness since they opened, but they have always been aware the "bikepark" isn't up to the same level of super-shreddiness as the pocket-park at Bryce 35 minutes away.
Like any infastructure improvement that has to be budgeted and fit into non-winter sports season, it'll take a hot minute to refresh Massanutten.

The best thing to see? It took 6 seasons of Downhill Southeast, but Harrisonburg has DH race groms, for the first time, EVER. The VA mountains have absolutely horrible 100 mile xc race worshipping/gravel race culture, for the most part.
Bryce and Massanutten are a real lifeline for young riders in Central VA.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
The mountain is STOKED on DH. They have done great mid-week rental bussiness since they opened, but they have always been aware the "bikepark" isn't up to the same level of super-shreddiness as the pocket-park at Bryce 35 minutes away.
Like any infastructure improvement that has to be budgeted and fit into non-winter sports season, it'll take a hot minute to refresh Massanutten.

The best thing to see? It took 6 seasons of Downhill Southeast, but Harrisonburg has DH race groms, for the first time, EVER. The VA mountains have absolutely horrible 100 mile xc race worshipping/gravel race culture, for the most part.
now if only wintergreen would get their shit together . . . . :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well this thread started out relatively sad, but has made a fabulous u-turn.

Pretty awesome to hear of any place planning ahead with their trails and committing to some long term investments for the better.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Raced at massanutten once. Thought the mountain had a ton of unrealized potential. Riding the lift up, I daydreamed of all the possible lines. Locals told me there was way more interesting stuff on the other side of the mountain. Never had the time to check that out. Glad they're going to invest in mtbing there.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004

If all this is true, I am 100% chubbed out. Crunchy and Creamy were kinda trash anyway, so no real loss there imo - especially if Mueller is going to be getting after it in the coming years. And yeah, if they're running a shuttle for the "other side" of the mtn, that is fantastic - as those are baller trails for modern AM bikes.

Really good news - thanks for updating us.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I rode there once a few years back it was like 110 degrees and at one point in the day I was cold. I think I was in trouble...Anyway this is good news for us east coast guys. What was the name of the trail which paralleled the WC track? It was actually pretty damn loamy w/ some fun rock mixed in. That thing was f'ing amazing.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I rode there once a few years back it was like 110 degrees and at one point in the day I was cold. I think I was in trouble...Anyway this is good news for us east coast guys. What was the name of the trail which paralleled the WC track? It was actually pretty damn loamy w/ some fun rock mixed in. That thing was f'ing amazing.
Indeed, they can have some pretty wild weather swing at the Nut. The last time I raced there years ago, it was like 40° and raining, which made for a pretty terrible lift ride up. As for the track you mentioned, its called something silly like nutty crunch or buttered nuts, but its basically the same track featured in the POV I linked above but with a few minor reroutes. Agree that it was the best trail they had since the old WC track was blown out worse than a Russian general's HQ.

But again, really jazzed to hear they have big plans for 2023 and there's a burgeoning DH scene in western VA.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Indeed, they can have some pretty wild weather swing at the Nut. The last time I raced there years ago, it was like 40° and raining, which made for a pretty terrible lift ride up. As for the track you mentioned, its called something silly like nutty crunch or buttered nuts, but its basically the same track featured in the POV I linked above but with a few minor reroutes. Agree that it was the best trail they had since the old WC track was blown out worse than a Russian general's HQ.

But again, really jazzed to hear they have big plans for 2023 and there's a burgeoning DH scene in western VA.
Is that trail gone as well?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I think the trail you are referring to is the current race track that is featured in recent videos (see my first post). According to Cerberus its still very much there and it appears they've put in a few short re-routes here & there. When I rode it back when it was just put in, I thought it was awesome raw DH, although with a few weird choke points that could be easily fixed. I always liked the original DH track (i.e. that branches off to the left after the 1st rock garden), but apparently it was never maintained in any meaningful way, so it just eroded into a rooty & sandy mess. They clearly have killer terrain out there, although it is rocky AF, so it may take some real work to build legit, fun trails - but the fact they have a real trail building company coming in gives me great hope. If the Western Slope trails are any indication, they are going to have some bad ass blue and black trails - just be ready to replace tires as needed.

Ultimately, the best part about this is they waited for that unpatriotic, non-AR15 having bitch @Westy to run off to the PNW so he can get free weed and heroin needles before they decided to upgrade the park. Good on'em I say.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I think the trail you are referring to is the current race track that is featured in recent videos (see my first post). According to Cerberus its still very much there and it appears they've put in a few short re-routes here & there. When I rode it back when it was just put in, I thought it was awesome raw DH, although with a few weird choke points that could be easily fixed. I always liked the original DH track (i.e. that branches off to the left after the 1st rock garden), but apparently it was never maintained in any meaningful way, so it just eroded into a rooty & sandy mess. They clearly have killer terrain out there, although it is rocky AF, so it may take some real work to build legit, fun trails - but the fact they have a real trail building company coming in gives me great hope. If the Western Slope trails are any indication, they are going to have some bad ass blue and black trails - just be ready to replace tires as needed.

Ultimately, the best part about this is they waited for that unpatriotic, non-AR15 having bitch @Westy to run off to the PNW so he can get free weed and heroin needles before they decided to upgrade the park. Good on'em I say.
Yes WC is there. The All or Nutten? Crunchy and Creamy are gone. For now at least.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

Gotcha makes total sense after I watched your linked vid.

I feel like they are going to have to work extremely hard to make an actual smooth flow trail there, it's just not that kind of soil. They could make some great blues and blacks, I agree.