Quantcast

Massive Earthquake

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
As Japan continues to grapple with catastrophic radiation leaks at the quake-damaged Fukushima Daichii nuclear complex, the plant's remaining workers have shown heroic dedication in the face of a task that amounts to a likely suicide mission.
The global audience following the Japanese nuclear drama has learned a little about these selfless heroes. But some of the most basic questions about them--who they are and what has motivated them to make the ultimate sacrifice--have gone unanswered. Now, however, the Agence France Press reporter Kimi De Freytas has published an interview with one of the Fukushima workers that sheds considerable light on how they understand their mission--and how they are holding up under under the extraordinary, mortal stress they are facing.
Hiroyuki Kohno, a 44-year-old plant worker who's been employed in the nuclear industry since he was a teenager, promptly answered the emergency call issued by his employer, a subcontractor for the Tokyo Electric Power Company. Shortly after last March's devastating earthquake and tsunami produced a power outage at the facility, Kohno's employers sent out an all-hands appeal via email.
"Attention. We would like you to come work at the plant. Can you?" De Freytas reports the email read. Kohno, who has worked at the Fukushima facility for the past decade, said he knew what the implications of heeding the call would be.
"To be honest, no one wants to go," Kohno told De Freytas. "Radiation levels at the plant are unbelievably high compared with normal conditions. I know that when I go this time, I will return with a body no longer capable of work at a nuclear plant."
Kohno told De Freytas that as a single man with no children, he felt obligated to answer the call and join the team that the media has dubbed the "Fukushima Fifty." Better that he face the risk, he explained, so as to spare his colleagues who have dependents counting on them. Besides, he added, the workers in the plant are his brothers and sisters, and he feels an allegiance to them.
"There's a Japanese expression: 'We eat from the same bowl.' These are friends I shared pain and laughter with. That's why I'm going," he explained to De Freytas.
Other workers among the Fukushima Fifty have apparently discussed the dire prospects ahead fairly openly. As the unidentified mother of a 32-year-old plant worker explained in a tearful phone interview with Fox News, "My son and his colleagues have discussed it at length and they have committed themselves to die if necessary to save the nation." Meanwhile, plant officials have sought to supplement the ranks of workers seeking to contain the spread of radioactive contamination from the facility with workers known as "jumpers"—contract employees who agree to complete designated tasks before fleeing in the hopes that they can shun sustained radioactive exposure. Workers in the "jumper" corps are being offered as much as $5,000 a day, Reuters reports—and many are still turning the offers down.
While the fate of Kohno and his fellow workers remains uncertain, their fellow citizens are already determined to commemorate their heroism.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Tsunami expected to hit in the next 15 minutes. Same place as last one, not as big but the quake was closer to the coast this time. Lots of panicked faces on TV at the moment.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
VB - What's your source? Where are you hearing this from? TEPCO says no problem, but can't be trusted.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
The Onnagawa nuclear power plant in Miyagi has lost 2 of the 3 external power sources so they're now using generators as backups.
N.B- this is not the same plant as has been having problems since March 11.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ruh roh?
TOKYO – Japan's nuclear regulators raised the severity level of the crisis at a stricken nuclear plant Tuesday to rank it on par with the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.
An official with the Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan, speaking on national television, said the rating was being raised from 5 to 7 — the highest level on the international scale.
The official, who was not named, said the amount of radiation leaking from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant was around 10 percent of the Chernobyl accident.
The level 7 signifies a "major accident" with "wider consequences" than the previous level, according to the standards scale.
"We have upgraded the severity level to 7 as the impact of radiation leaks has been widespread from the air, vegetables, tap water and the ocean," said Minoru Oogoda of Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency.
NISA officials said one of the factors behind the decision was that the total amount of radioactive particles released into the atmosphere since the incident had reached levels that apply to a Level 7 incident.
The action lifts the rating to the highest on an international scale designed by an international group of experts in 1989 and is overseen by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yeah It's not gonna be pretty. :(
Any guesses as to the time its going to take to fix and then clean this up?......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13045341

The decision to raise the threat level was made after radiation of 10,000 terabequerels per hour had been estimated at the stricken plant for several hours.

That would classify the crisis at level seven on the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale (Ines).

It was not clear when that level had been reached. The level has subsequently dropped to less than one terabequerel an hour, the report said.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
:(:(:(

Can they even clean up a disaster like this?
I mean, Chernobyl and Pripyat are still a ghost town how many years after?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I mean, Chernobyl and Pripyat are still a ghost town how many years after?
levels in Pirpyat have dropped significantly in the past decade and it is somewhat safe now, thought it will always been a ghost town (except for some tourist.) but the Daiichi plant hasnt dumped nearly as much radiation to the surrounding area since the Chernobyl accident was literally a explosion and sent debris and radiation for miles.

edit: if they dont get a handle on this, it could well surpass Chernobyl obviously

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
levels in Pirpyat have dropped significantly in the past decade and it is somewhat safe now, thought it will always been a ghost town (except for some tourist.) but the Daiichi plant hasnt dumped nearly as much radiation to the surrounding area since the Chernobyl accident was literally a explosion and sent debris and radiation for miles.

edit: if they dont get a handle on this, it could well surpass Chernobyl obviously
I forgot about the lack of burning radioactive graphite raining down everywhere.

Good point.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
http://www.gizmag.com/radiation-sickness-cure/12303/

Experiments carried out by Professor Andrei Gudkov, Chief Scientific Officer at Cleveland BioLabs, and his team exposed more than 650 monkeys split into two groups to a radiation dosage equal to the highest dosage sustained by humans as a result of the Chernobyl disaster. Of the group that didn’t receive the cure 70% died, with the survivors suffering from the obvious effects of radiation sickness. However, almost all the monkeys in the group given the medication survived, with most of them exhibiting no side effects.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ugh
The body of a 25-year-old northern California man swept out to sea while trying to photograph the tsunami's arrival from Japan last month has washed ashore about 380 miles away, in Oregon, officials there said Tuesday.
Dustin Douglas Weber of Klamath, California, was standing on a sand bar near the mouth of the Klamath River in Del Norte County, California, when he was swept away March 11, authorities said.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/12/oregon.tsunami.victim/index.html

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yeah not sure straight up death is what I'd wish on someone for being an idiot.
I don't wish it upon anyone, (well, maybe a couple people). But that doesn't mean I'm going to feel any particular sort of emotion when Darwin scores a clean point. I mean really, what kind of tard sees news about a tsunami and thinks to himself, "Damn. I should run down to the beach and see it!"? :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah not sure straight up death is what I'd wish on someone for being an idiot.

Maybe better public schools for the kids......

Either way what's up with floating around for a month off a northern california coast? Them sharks is slackin.

Probably a stinkin' hippy. Not even sharks will touch that ****.