Quantcast

Massive Storage Back Service - for the hardware geeks

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
they seem to be paying retail for the 1.5tb drives at $120 each. youd think theyd buy them from a distributor to get em a lot cheaper

that storage room must be loud as sht too

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
they seem to be paying retail for the 1.5tb drives at $120 each. youd think theyd buy them from a distributor to get em a lot cheaper
Well, the point of the article was to show you how to do it yourself; I'm sure they can't disclose their distributor's prices and it would have no relevance for other people either.

that storage room must be loud as sht too
You should step inside the data center where we host a few of our servers. It's not even a major data center, just a local company with a good sized building, and you can't even have a phone conversation. Last time I was there I had an entire text message conversation to figure out the password to one of the servers - when I called, they couldn't hear a damn thing I was saying :p

Pretty cool article. The biggest flaw, of course, would be what happens if one of the power supplies goes up in smoke and cooks a large section of the server. That's why you need the cloud, of course, but it makes that stand-alone server not super useful for even someone who needs a large chunk of storage like that. Interesting that they can build it for that little money, though.