Quantcast

Master of Masterlinks?

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
If it consistently breaks at the master link then it is very likely coming from slack. You're much more likely to break a master link push the chain together than pulling it with excessive force, or even kinking it. I also run I9 and mine has a gone a year and a half without grease love. Maybe it's time to lube that hub up. I'll be servicing mine tomorrow, curious to see if I can reduce some slack from coasting in low gears.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
First off, I want to know WHY this is happening. I am aware i can get a pin and (probably) be fine.

Here goes.
I break a chain just about every time i ride, i have no idea why. Its always the masterlink-regardless of the chain or type of masterlink. To get an idea of how many, im on my 12th masterlink this month. Even my mom cannot afford this. I have found no consistency with the problem, just that it happens at least once a day. Sometimes the link snaps, other times it just falls off. Usually i run the cheap SRAM chains, but the last 1 i put on was a better one. (971?) I run 9 speed with a saint derailleur and road cassettes. Chainguide in teh front.

Here is the shlt list if it can help.

banshee-2x on indycross, 1 time on dominion
demos-breakout 11, ripper, various race courses, GRT track, hellion, alpine

*it is 100% not pedaling related, i am by no means lance armstrong snapping chains, it seems mine are committing suicide :(

I have tried other masterlinks besides the gold ones, no dice
Can I ask you to describe what your method is for installing these links?

And I know this is kinda obvious, but have you 100% visually inspected the drivetrain for things like stuck rocks, bent teeth?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Can I ask you to describe what your method is for installing these links?

And I know this is kinda obvious, but have you 100% visually inspected the drivetrain for things like stuck rocks, bent teeth?
to install them i usually stick them through, then pull the chain till they "pop" Recently i have been making sure that they are on by jiggling them around with no tension-they always pass.

Tonight when i get home from work ill be sure to take pictures of the drivetrain, there are no rocks or debris stuck, and the teeth are fine.

I think its between too much slack (seems logical) or too much of an angle in certain gears.

Tried 1 of those master-links, its been working good now but i did have an incident with it a month ago or so. I will probably get a KMC chain and not use a master-link, Obviously if i use the typical pin, i probably wont have this problem, but i was more curios as to how ti was occurring.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
to install them i usually stick them through, then pull the chain till they "pop" Recently i have been making sure that they are on by jiggling them around with no tension-they always pass.

Tonight when i get home from work ill be sure to take pictures of the drivetrain, there are no rocks or debris stuck, and the teeth are fine.

I think its between too much slack (seems logical) or too much of an angle in certain gears.
If you have it high/low when this happens, or you didn't account for the chainline when you built it (I'm assuming you built it), then that's the most possible solution. Or maybe guide if you're running one. You can go buy a new chain, but if you're putting it back on the same set up, you're ignoring the reason why.

Other people including myself have run SRAM quicklinks for years without ever breaking one. Shimano, another story... Speaking of breaking stuff though, I did do this once:

04 SRAM road cassettes FTL.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
You are running I9 wheels are you not? I would put it on this. 120points of engagement increases your hub drag. This would throw your chain forward while your coasting either keeps it in place or throws your chain backwards. Masterlink undone. Or is it physically breaking at the masterlink?

atrokz said:
I have always wanted a ti wipperman, and that always seemed like a better link than squeezing together links to ride up ramps. As long as it's strong though.
Wippermans will outlast your last chain 2 fold. Easy.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
You are running I9 wheels are you not? I would put it on this. 120points of engagement increases your hub drag. This would throw your chain forward while your coasting either keeps it in place or throws your chain backwards. Masterlink undone. Or is it physically breaking at the masterlink?
didn't understand where you were going then read the thread. yea, gotta be this if it's happening when he's freecoasting. Hub rebuild.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hang the bike by the seat(or in stand), pedal it, stop pedalling, does the freehub drive the chain?
Oh, and a rear cassette should last 2 even 3 chains if you change them before they have stretched too much and eat the cassette prematurely. A good way to do it is to have two chains you swap every couple of months back and forth, then you'd be able to milk even more chains to cassette ratio, maybe even 4!:shocked: but doubt it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
just throw money at it. Literally hurl it at it. I hear it cures aids, it can probably solve a pesky master link

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Do you clean/degrease your chains of the factory anti-rust crap they package them before you install them? That stuff can bind a chain up in the drivetrain. Then of course properly lube the drivetrain after the degreasing.

Or change your pedal stance to 12 and 6 o'clock....lol

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines

Wippermans will outlast your last chain 2 fold. Easy.

My I9 hub is in pretty dry condition and does drive the cranks in the lower gears. Chain doesn't slack that much and it hasn't undone my master link. But probably due to several issues. Take it all apart and put it together right, even if it already seems okay.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The i9s are perfectly fine/greased, im pretty meticulous about those, i do have an idea on what is happening though (and its mostly a guess)

the i9s do have more drag than a ringle or shimano. It does NOT slack the chain in the stand, but id have to believe that its possible to have a "better chance" on the trail compared to a normal hub. (enough to matter?) I figure while i am riding over chatter, the derailur is swinging all over the place (sure sounds like it) and im sure the pedals are tilting forwards and backwards depending what im hitting, my guess is that i hit a bump of some sort. The chain slacks as the derailur swings forwards, and maybe the pedals tilt backwards (my body bias) If the master link happens to be near the bottom roller of the derailur, it may essentially be shoving it forward so quickly that its popping it off.

*chainline is fine, even better in lower gears where it falls off

thoughts?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I have heard of SRAM missing links coming apart while riding one more than once. Best bet is to try a different missing link and see of you still have a problem. I should have dropped one off for you to try at the shop today. Didn't think about it tho. ETBW is up to date on our product Justin so give them a call!