Quantcast

Masters Worldchampionships 2008

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
last year one of my mates got in by contacting the organizers. its nothing like the world champs, everything seemed pretty chilled for the masters.

you are not allowed to race the world cup circuit in the same year if you go for the masters.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
dhkid and fclinder nailed it . .. . .

-30+
-You can be expert
-Need to have a UCI license which you can request from USAC when you renew your USAC membership or you can add it on later
Cannot of raced at a UCI World Cup in the same year

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
dhkid and fclinder nailed it . .. . .

-30+
-You can be expert
-Need to have a UCI license which you can request from USAC when you renew your USAC membership or you can add it on later
Cannot of raced at a UCI World Cup in the same year

Nige Page raced at Champery (Well he was practicing for sure) and won masters worlds in 07.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
Yeah, How did Nigel Page pull that off? I would love to race both of the North American WC's and Masters in the same season. Any suggestions?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Nige pulled it off because he did not race in Champery. He only did the quals.

You cannot race a World Cup in the same year as the Masters World Champs. Check the UCI website for official rules.

I raced last years WC and it was f*cken excellent.

I am already registered in this years one too.

Who else is coming?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
That's retarted that you can't race a world cup in the same year.
I guess if you're that fast it doesn't matter if you are old?
whatever, I can't travel all over the world to get points to race a world cup
anyway.
Always wanted to race a WC but, the way things are now may have to settle for a Masters World Cup.
So my Pro license covers the UCI license as well correct?
Wonder what contacts will have to be made to register? Plenty of time left
but, when you get old have kids etc.
you gotta plan way ahead!
Thanks for the info guys!

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Not sure about that one. You may need an international license in addition. Maybe they are the same.[/QUOTE

I raced in 06 up at the Sun Peaks UCI Masters and needed an International license even though I race semi pro here in the states. You'll have to get an International license to race any UCI World Cups.

It's probably alot easier to get the info by calling USAC to be sure.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Last I was told, Experts can only go to Vet Worlds with direct approval of USAC through an application to race. Only Semi-Pro and Pro in the US need not ask permission to attend Worlds.

Oh..and you gotta buy your jersey.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
If I remember correctly A pro USAC license is a UCI license. Just look at your license does it have a UCI race category?

My license at the top says USA Cycling International License. Then down where all the categories are it says MTUCI:Elite. This is all I would need to race the Masters Worlds.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I asked USA Cycling about permission/approval before I signed up for Sun Peaks in '06 and they essentially told me that if you have a pulse and the entry fee you're good to go. As stated above, Expert amateurs just need to pay the extra to upgrade your existing USAC license to and International one.

And you don't have to buy the (lame, XC) jersey. But you DO need to have your country's flag on your jersey and/or helmet.

Good luck to anyone going. Wish I could but I'm going to have to wait 'til it makes a swing back through North America.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
And you don't have to buy the (lame, XC) jersey. But you DO need to have your country's flag on your jersey and/or helmet.

Good luck to anyone going. Wish In could but I'm going to have to wait 'til it makes a swing back through North America.
You don't need to buy the jersey, just some type of USA flag on your bike/body/helmet:ie stickers will work. But if you do get the jersey you'll know why you bought it and who you're representing, makes you feel good and want to do even better.

Yeah I can't wait for them to come back to this continent. So much fun and a well run event.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yah a Pro license is an International license, that is why they cost 150.00
Semi Pro is not an International license. Actually why, if I buy a License
from USAC that I want to race the World Champs. To make it worth the
cost of the license. I won't be attending any USAC National events again...

I don't mind flying the red/white/and blue as long as it doesn't have
to say norba or USAC!

Just depends on what this trip is going to cost!
Might be up for doing the Crankworx instead. Just figured I would fair
better in the MWC for DH. Prolly get smoked at Crankworx in Pro DH
but, would get slalom and MTX also if I go there, to which I would stand
a better chance at getting less smoked...

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I dunno what it will cost gotta do the math,
I am budget racer in the states I can go west coast from
here in GA for a few hun... looks like the trip to france
may be a few thow! Budget racer may have to learn to speaky french
to cut corners on cost.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Page also raced in Vigo. He was 113th in qualis, so he didn't make it into finals...in Champery he was 115th in semis. Even if he didn't make it into fimals he still raced. Don't really care if he raced the World Cup and Masters WC, but someone at UCI didn't check the rules.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I was going to go last year, just had to pay and upgrade my license to International. They didn't even give me any static as I was only sport class last season.

When we got into figuring it out it worked something like this for a budget:
- Flights = $900 per person
- Car = $350 for the week
- Bike = free on international flights, but you need something better then a box.
- Hotel = $300 for the week in a studio
- Food = $500, the dollar was/is super weak compared to the Euro.
- Fees = $100 for entry fees, $150 for a license

So about $2300 to do it right. If you want to bring family, the costs go up.

It wasn't possible for me last summer as I wasn't working very much, and was touring to hit a lot of races on the East Coast. Do I wish I went? You bet. Did I have a blast on the East Coast? You bet your monkey balls.

But, going once to say you went might be worth it.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Dont know about you guys, but Im going. Damo?
I entered about a month ago. I'll be there. Pra Loup is about 3hrs drive south of me and we are taking a camper again this year.

If anybody wants to stay here in Morzine the week before or after, let me know and I'm sure I can swing a deal. I can act the (DH) tour guide even....

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I entered about a month ago. I'll be there. Pra Loup is about 3hrs drive south of me and we are taking a camper again this year.

If anybody wants to stay here in Morzine the week before or after, let me know and I'm sure I can swing a deal. I can act the (DH) tour guide even....
Cool... Can you tell me where the closest place to fly in etc?
I may get back with yah on some places to ride etc. if I decide to come out
thanks fellow monkey!

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
I was going to go last year, just had to pay and upgrade my license to International. They didn't even give me any static as I was only sport class last season.

When we got into figuring it out it worked something like this for a budget:
- Flights = $900 per person
- Car = $350 for the week
- Bike = free on international flights, but you need something better then a box.
- Hotel = $300 for the week in a studio
- Food = $500, the dollar was/is super weak compared to the Euro.
- Fees = $100 for entry fees, $150 for a license

So about $2300 to do it right. If you want to bring family, the costs go up.

It wasn't possible for me last summer as I wasn't working very much, and was touring to hit a lot of races on the East Coast. Do I wish I went? You bet. Did I have a blast on the East Coast? You bet your monkey balls.

But, going once to say you went might be worth it.
It doesn't cost anything to ship your bike on international flights?

No ****, I didn't know that.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Cool... Can you tell me where the closest place to fly in etc?
I may get back with yah on some places to ride etc. if I decide to come out
thanks fellow monkey!
if you're debating masters versus crankwerx..you should have your head examined.

Look at it this way:
Worlds- drug test
Crankwerx - no drug test

I'd think that alone would be the deal breaker for ya......:rockout:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
if you're debating masters versus crankwerx..you should have your head examined.

Look at it this way:
Worlds- drug test
Crankwerx - no drug test

I'd think that alone would be the deal breaker for ya......:rockout:
HaHa Butch! Guess the Doping response I gave implied that I am a pothead
but, actually I can pee clean! at least right now!

But, yeah Crankworx has more to offer for sure. I just would like to compete in a Masters Worlds
and if I focus on training for it feel I could be more competitive than at Crankworx DH anyway.
Like the previous post stated Page won at Worlds and was way back at World Cups. I haven't done a Crankworx but,
would figure it is pretty close to a World Cup competitive wise.
May end up doing it though, just cause of what Whistler has to offer and so many days of stuff going on.
Plus in the past I have been competitive in Slalom/4x with that kind of heat showing up at Sea Otter and Nationals when the Worlds best used to show up.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I think from the States, you need to fly into Frankfurt. Then a quick connecting flight to Geneva (or if you can fly direct to Geneva, thats even better). Then its an easy 1hr drive to Morzine, spend a week or whatever riding and training using the 27 open chairlifts here (countless DH tracks - taped-out or private), then follow us in a convoy to Pra Loup.

There is a good reason many European and UK pros base themselves here in Morzine.

The Pra Loup track is one of the most fun courses I have ridden. Word is they are changing it a bit for this year, but its still the same hill.

Here's my short video of last year's track to whet your appetite: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TJn0baKY_g0

Check out my sig for more info on the Morzine area.