Quantcast

Math Questions....

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I need some help with this retarded Algebra II crap. My teacher didn't explain this very well and the example in the book is sh1t. Here's the problems, they deal with combinations...

Alright, out of 52 cards, what are the combinations you can have with a 5 card hand, and all of them being face cards (K/Q/J). Please show steps.

Same as previous, except the cards are 4 Aces and 1 other card....

I have no idea how the hell to do this so help would be appreciated. :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
COmtbiker12 said:
I need some help with this retarded Algebra II crap. My teacher didn't explain this very well and the example in the book is sh1t. Here's the problems, they deal with combinations...

Alright, out of 52 cards, what are the combinations you can have with a 5 card hand, and all of them being face cards (K/Q/J). Please show steps.

Ummmmmm.......... it's called *homework* and you're actually supposed to figure it out on your own. :rolleyes:

-S.S.-

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
COmtbiker12 said:

What grade are you in? and I would help but I'm doing calculus for the second time so I have my own hmwk to do. :rolleyes:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
JMAC said:
What grade are you in? and I would help but I'm doing calculus for the second time so I have my own hmwk to do. :rolleyes:
I'm in 10th. Thanks for the suggestion S.S. but unfortunately when the teacher just rambles on and you run out of time before you can ask how to do it, it doesn't help much, especially when the assignment's due tomorrow. :rolleyes:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
COmtbiker12 said:
I'm in 10th. Thanks for the suggestion S.S. but unfortunately when the teacher just rambles on and you run out of time before you can ask how to do it, it doesn't help much, especially when the assignment's due tomorrow. :rolleyes:
Ask your parents......... they should be able to figure it out with the explanation in the book.

-S.S.-

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
.well, i think it goes like this.

there are 52 cards. you only use K,Q,J.
that means only 3 cards from each maze.

total 12 cards from which you can do the combination.
now, the part for you.
what are the combinations you can do with those 12 cards in a 5 card hand?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
ALEXIS_DH said:
.well, i think it goes like this.

there are 52 cards. you only use K,Q,J.
that means only 3 cards from each maze.

total 12 cards from which you can do the combination.
now, the part for you.
what are the combinations you can do with those 12 cards in a 5 card hand?
Lol, I'm a dumbass, I kept trying to use 52 for some reason. Thanks.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
ALEXIS_DH said:
and how did you get that?
since you have 12 cards, and 5 cards in the hand and the formula for nCr is n!/r!(n-r)! I plugged it in so I had 12!/5!(7!) which i got to be 792..... I dont know.... sounds way too high, lol.

COmtbiker12 said:
How'd you do that?

There are 4 of each card in a deck of 52.
There are 3 cards that we are working with.
Multiply 3*4 and get 12
Out of 5 cards in the hand. Multiply the 12*5=60
I was wrong the first time so ignore it I didn't read the problem all the way.
THE ANSWER IS 60. NOT 48.
then there are four aces in a deck so do 4*4=16 and add ti to 60
and get 76.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
COmtbiker12 said:
since you have 12 cards, and 5 cards in the hand and the formula for nCr is n!/r!(n-r)! I plugged it in so I had 12!/5!(7!) which i got to be 792..... I dont know.... sounds way too high, lol.

honestly i dont remember... :blah:
but if you are sure that is the formula....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the lowest grade i got in Alg II was a 98, and ended up with a 99 for the class. i don't remember how to do that.

--edit--

but if you give me the answer tomorrow, i'll come up with a way to find the solution. i like working backwards for some reason.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Wumpus said:
Google is a wonderful thing. ;)
I'm busy doing other homework. Other than the math (which I've now finished, hopefully correctly) I've got to prepare for an essay for The Great Gatsby and I'm going through the book finding as many examples of symbolism through colors as I can...

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Im in 10th grade and stuck in algebra 2, its so easy, i was going to switch to Trig but they couldnt get me into a honnors class, and i wanted a esay A.

What book do you guys use? Ours sucks pole! the examples really do blow.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
mattv2099 said:
uhh, im a math d00d at university... i'll see what I can think of...

first of all you say 'what are the combinations you can have...' this implies you have to list the particular combinations. do you possibly mean 'how many' combinations?

Well, if I go by what you stated 'what are the combinations....' you would just list each possible combination... how had is that?
I meant how many, my bad...

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
COmtbiker12 said:
I meant how many, my bad...

We are looking for a combination of n objects taken r at a time where

nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!)

example: (str8 outta my probability textbook)

The number of possible five card hands drawn from a deck of 52 cards is

52 C 5 = 52!/(5!47!)

OK. your question is very similar. In fact your question is what is the number of possible five card hands drawn from a deck of 12 playing cards.

12 C 5 = 12!/(5!7!)

got it?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
mattv2099 said:
We are looking for a combination of n objects taken r at a time where

nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!)

example: (str8 outta my probability textbook)

The number of possible five card hands drawn from a deck of 52 cards is

52 C 5 = 52!/(5!47!)

OK. your question is very similar. In fact your question is what is the number of possible five card hands drawn from a deck of 12 playing cards.

12 C 5 = 12!/(5!7!)

got it?
Our book has the example of 52 C 5 as well.... so I did do it right by doing 12 C 5 which is the same as 12!/(5!7!) which gave me 792?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Actaully I sympothys with you, my cal teacher last sem was such a packy. I couldn;t understand anything he said. He started preatching buddhism to us to. :rolleyes: So I gave up and never went back to class. Now I have another packy teacher but at least I can understand what she says, and so far so good. But we'll see.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
**** profs who are not coherent. that pisses me off so much. that as well as ESL programs for grad students.

DHGH

Chimp
Aug 31, 2004
For some reason I want to say its:

12*11*10*9*8

For card one, you have your choice of 12 cards, so you pick one of 12 possibilities.
For the second card, you have your choice of the 11 remaining cards, so 11 more possibilities for each of the preveious 12.
For the third, you have 10 cards remaining to choose from and so on...

That might wind up being the same thing as your factorial equation (might not be...it's late), but I find thinking about it in a step by step fashion makes things clearer rather than just throwing into a general equation. I'm in upper order differential equations right now and those kinds of problems can still get the better of me, but they're still more interesting than this shi*t...