Quantcast

Matter: Marzocchi Bomber Z1

webmonkey365

Chimp
Sep 21, 2012
In 1997, Italian suspension manufacturer, Marzocchi, unleashed the Z1 Bomber. Marzocchi's engineers had received the same "How to Build a Fork" memo as everyone else, but with the Z1 they essentially doused that memo in gasoline, lit it on fire, went on a bender and woke up the next morning with a hangover and this mutant lovechild of a fork. The Z1 Bomber was heavy, ridiculously plush and built like a brick ****house. The Z1 changed the world of bicycle suspension, sure, but it also changed the way products were marketed and sold in the bike industry.

Matter: Marzocchi Bomber Z1

hbelly13

Chimp
Jan 12, 2014
Alpharetta GA
I have sung the praises of the Z1 since the late 90's to anyone that would listen. I strapped one on to my '98 Mantra (yikes!) and was floored that suddenly I had a fork that actually worked well in the kind of terrain I liked and for the bigger guy I was. It was enormous compared to the wispy SID's my lycra-ensconced pals swooned over. I would follow them up the climbs and blow past them on the descents. To date people still get puckered up being passed on descents. Over the years, I had a '97, a '99 an '01 an '03 and a '05...yeah, I was a fan. The only fork that surpassed it at the end was the Pike and now I still ride Rock Shox. Thanx for sharing the praises.

GodSmack

Chimp
May 27, 2013
BC
When this fork came out. Every other fork was a toy in comparison. I bought one asap and put it on my hard tail.
Everyone thought I was crazy putting a four inch travel fork on a hard tail. Up set the geometry they said.............
My 55Rc3,s are a refinement of the original z1.