Quantcast

Matti Breschel Continues Showing Great Form In Giro Del Piemonte

• Enter the Ridemonkey Secret Santa 2021!

Come exchange gifts with other monkeys! From beer, to light-up bike nuts, to custom machined holiday decorations by our more talented members, there's something for everyone. To participate, make sure you submit the form by November 26th.
    Click here for details and to learn how to participate.
Oct 20, 2009
<p>Team Saxo Bank World championship silver medalist, Matti Breschel took third spot on the podium in the Italian autumn classic Giro del Piemonte.</p><p>
</p><p>
The traditional breakaway was created in the beginning of the race and as the race eventually looked like a sprinter showdown, Philippe Gilbert (Lotto) rushed off on the final kilometer and kept the distance to a chasing pack and won the race just like he won last year's edition of the race. Team Saxo Bank Dane, Matti Breschel finished third.</p><p>
</p><p>
Gustav Larsson, Richie Porte, André Steensen, Anders Lund, Chris Anker Sørensen, Larent Didier and Jakob Fuglsang also participated in the Italian race which popularly serves as a warm-up for the Tour of Lombardy held on Saturday.</p><p>
</p><p>
”I really wanted that victory today. The team was fighting heroically for me and put a lot of pressure on the other teams by setting the pace after only 60 kilometers. Since the World's I have been feeling very strong and the top spot on the podium has been within my reach. But when Philippe (Gilbert) went away on the final kilometer I just wasn't able to follow him. After so many memorable years with Team Saxo Bank I wanted to finish the season with style and I think this was my final chance of taking that last win in the Team Saxo Bank-jersey as the Tour of Lombardy doesn't suit me all that well,” commented Matti Breschel and ends:</p><p>
</p><p>
“It's kind of sad to leave the Team which has given me so many extraodinary memories and a solid bag of experience."</p>

More...