Quantcast

Matti Breschel Continues Showing Great Form In Giro Del Piemonte

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Team Saxo Bank World championship silver medalist, Matti Breschel took third spot on the podium in the Italian autumn classic Giro del Piemonte.</p><p>
</p><p>
The traditional breakaway was created in the beginning of the race and as the race eventually looked like a sprinter showdown, Philippe Gilbert (Lotto) rushed off on the final kilometer and kept the distance to a chasing pack and won the race just like he won last year's edition of the race. Team Saxo Bank Dane, Matti Breschel finished third.</p><p>
</p><p>
Gustav Larsson, Richie Porte, André Steensen, Anders Lund, Chris Anker Sørensen, Larent Didier and Jakob Fuglsang also participated in the Italian race which popularly serves as a warm-up for the Tour of Lombardy held on Saturday.</p><p>
</p><p>
”I really wanted that victory today. The team was fighting heroically for me and put a lot of pressure on the other teams by setting the pace after only 60 kilometers. Since the World's I have been feeling very strong and the top spot on the podium has been within my reach. But when Philippe (Gilbert) went away on the final kilometer I just wasn't able to follow him. After so many memorable years with Team Saxo Bank I wanted to finish the season with style and I think this was my final chance of taking that last win in the Team Saxo Bank-jersey as the Tour of Lombardy doesn't suit me all that well,” commented Matti Breschel and ends:</p><p>
</p><p>
“It's kind of sad to leave the Team which has given me so many extraodinary memories and a solid bag of experience."</p>

More...