Quantcast

Maverick Speedball V Gravity Dropper

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I've just signed up for the mega avalanche in Alpe d'Huez. One thing i learned last year was a remotely adjustable seatpost would come in very handy. So which is the best. From reading the websites I'm favouring the speedball, it looks like its finished to a higher quality.

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
The Speedball works well, I do not have the model with the remote, just the lever under the saddle. I believe that Crank Bros. has bought the seatpost from Maverick and is selling it with there name attached. No real changes though.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
cheers for replying. How has it held up durability wise. Is there any play in the seat like on cheap suspension seat pillars where the saddle wobbles from side to side

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
I have had for about 8 months now and have had no problems. If i was thinking I would have gotten the remote version seeing as it has been hard to locate the remote afterwards at shops.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
IMO, you definitely want a remote version. Those time when you want to drop your seat in a hurry are often about the worst time to take your hands off the bars. (Especially true in a chaotic race!)

I've had a gravity dropper for at least a couple of years now and love it. As compared to the speedball, I appreciate the fact that the GD is purely mechanical, not hydraulic, and easily repaired if anything goes wrong. I know a few people who had problems with the speedball and had no choice but to send them back for repairs.

On the other hand, the speedball has the advantage of being infinitely adjustable within it's range, whereas the GD only has 2 or 3 positions. There might be a new version, not sure.

In any case, get one, you'll love it. I hate riding trails without one now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I never thought it would happen.

I just realized there actually is a place where the utility of these things outweighs their gayness. The megavalanche.....of course!!

Remote GD is the only one that makes any sense to me. Watching people switch their non remote versions is pretty entertaining though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've had a gravity dropper for at least a couple of years now and love it. As compared to the speedball, I appreciate the fact that the GD is purely mechanical, not hydraulic, and easily repaired if anything goes wrong. I know a few people who had problems with the speedball and had no choice but to send them back for repairs.
Yeah, I've seen the speedball pissing fluid all over the place a few times. Maverick has a history of making the consumers do the testing and come up with the "mods" that make the products work. Go with the GD.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Hey al,
hows the wether there in Ireland? hahaha
I was just in a shop here in ca was just looking at the maverick one on a top end maverick bike , it had a remote on it, worked very well very positive, no moving around... I was thinking of getting one, (just bought a scott ransom) but they only go up and down a couple of inches.. being tall and having a huge seatpost I want to get it out of the way as much as possible..

it seems more suited for xc.. but I guess if you only want to move up and down a couple of inches its ideal.

The remote is cool, its a bit rough looking but works well basically get off saddle and press lever and saddle goes down. Its hydraulic so constantly under pressure, I know your a bit of a weight weeny so check the weight I guess too!!.

Im looking to check out the gravity dropper... but the maverick is nice

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Pushing the gravity dropper lever feels like you are trying to break the cable, and the seatpost has only two spots, up and down. The operation feels like crap compared to a speedball. I work in the same building as the maverick factory, and I know that the speedball has not been bulletproof. The truth is they are actually pretty simple and easy to repair, and maverick stands behind them well. If you have a frame that use's one of the two sizes offered by maverick, get the speedball. And it's true that the design has been sold to crank brothers, but I dont think the crank brothers model will be availible soon, maybe in time for your race but I wouldnt hold your breath.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Pushing the gravity dropper lever feels like you are trying to break the cable, and the seatpost has only two spots, up and down. The operation feels like crap compared to a speedball. I work in the same building as the maverick factory, and I know that the speedball has not been bulletproof. The truth is they are actually pretty simple and easy to repair, and maverick stands behind them well. If you have a frame that use's one of the two sizes offered by maverick, get the speedball. And it's true that the design has been sold to crank brothers, but I dont think the crank brothers model will be availible soon, maybe in time for your race but I wouldnt hold your breath.
BTW, you mean Maverick has fixed every Speedball, period. I don't know anyone who has not sent their Speedball back.

I think it is hard to get a GD because they are so popular. They are not perfect, and the action on the SB is better, but I want a post that works and is easily servicable.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I got one of the AMP posts around early to mid last year, seems better designed than the Gravity Dropper or Gravity Dropper Turbo and has a better remote. The guys that make the AMP post seem easy to work with too:

http://precisioncyclingcomponents.com/amp.aspx

There is a new post design another company was showing at Interbike, but I have no idea how it compares:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/rase-adjustable-seatpost/

I sold my AMP though because the climbs around here aren't long enough to make the AMP/GD worthwhile (my friend has a GD he also got rid of). I like to run the seatpost in a mid range height and only drop it via QR when hitting stuff...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just realized there actually is a place where the utility of these things outweighs their gayness.
I miss you too buddy!!

I was skeptical too and I generally avoid unnecessary gadgets. Most of the trail riding I do involves lots of rolling terrain, with constant up and down, and some short, steep, fairly technical sections where I want a dropped post. Adjustable posts are great for that kind of stuff. If you just climb to the top then turn around and go down, it's not needed.

Haven't seen that AMP post. Nifty.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I miss you too buddy!!

I was skeptical too and I generally avoid unnecessary gadgets. Most of the trail riding I do involves lots of rolling terrain, with constant up and down, and some short, steep, fairly technical sections where I want a dropped post. Adjustable posts are great for that kind of stuff. If you just climb to the top then turn around and go down, it's not needed.

Haven't seen that AMP post. Nifty.
I think we talked about this. Being a short guy, there are things that I have no idea about......like the greater amount of movement a larger torso goes through when transitioning between neutral and over the rear of the bike. But another friend of mine who's like 6'2" is always lowering his seat for longer descents, and brought up the point. I'm sure it's probably relevant for guys your size. Beaves is a good bit taller than me too I think.

But you've seen some of the riding around tahoe......it's as rough and technical as anywhere else (including downieville;)). At 5'8" I almost never feel the need to mess with my saddle height unless there are doubles involved. I do get some saddle spank every once in a while but it's not drastic.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
I'm 5'8" and my saddle is up and down all the time. I like to be efficient going up and have fun coming down - the Gravity dropper is the best upgrade I've ever made to a bike.

You're just weird. :huh:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm 5'8" and my saddle is up and down all the time. I like to be efficient going up and have fun coming down - the Gravity dropper is the best upgrade I've ever made to a bike.

You're just weird. :huh:

I really don't care if anyone uses one. I've even been seen in public with OGRipper.

They're just not enough of a benefit to me to either drop the coin or clutter up my bike that already has 4 lines running all over it. So in the meantime I make shallow generalizing jokes that are at the very minimum funny to me.

But racing the megavalanche.....I honestly would truly buy one for that. Because that descent is nothing like piddly little downieville or your average xc ride.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I do get some saddle spank every once in a while but it's not drastic.
Actually that explains it right there doesn't it? You actually like it!

Interesting. You're not that short, and I know other guys about your size who love adjustable posts. Meh, to each his own. I agree about clutter, I just think it's worth it.

cycleryshop

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
I set my seatpost at approximately my road bike height, and it sets my weight high.

A lot of riders set their saddles low, and compensate with moving around on the saddle or pedal standing up.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I set my seatpost at approximately my road bike height, and it sets my weight high.
Yep, me too, and for me, "high" means too high to feel comfortable on tech decents, or even just going real fast on smooth stuff. That's why I love my GD - best of both. Ok, I am off the pulpit on this one...

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
A couple things to consider.

The Speedball only comes in 30.9 and 31.6, if you don't have these size frames, you cannot use it.

The GD come in 27.2 so you can use it on most frames with a shim.

I have both a GD and a speedball. The GD is now on my sons Turner and I use the Speedball with a bar mount remote on my Nomad. The remote on the speedball is a thing of beauty. Joystick type operation, activates in any direction with a very light touch, you don't need the G.I Joe Kung Fu thumb that the GD takes. Plus the Speed ball works by just lifting you weight slightly off the seat. None of this weight your seat actuate lever unweight you seat then reweight your seat or whatever the goofy combination is that the GD takes, I can't even remember exactly. The Speedball is smooth simple and fast, never gets hung up and refusing to move like the GD does so often.

The build quality is much better and it looks ten times better, the GD is the quickest way to make even the best looking bike butt ugly.:plthumbsdown:

IMO the speedball is VASTLY superior to the GD in function and ease of use. Mine has never been back to Maverick for repair or service. I bought it used and have been beating the crap out of it for over a year. So sorry Sanjuro, now you know someone who hasn't sent theirs back.

They can be more complicated and temperamental then the GD, but once you understand how they work, virtually every problem can be fixed easily, even trailside without tools.

I have found that most people who have trouble have fiddle with it, either out of curiosity on how it works or because they had some minor problem and mucked it up trying to figure out how to fix it or get it back together after pulling it apart.

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
For me, at 6' 5" i would have killed myself numerous times if i didnt have an adjustable post. With where you need the post (height wise) for proper pedaling, there's no way you could rip tech single track and feel comfortable at the same time.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Just to spite all ya'll telescopers, I took off my QR and now run just an allen bolt. Not only is it lighter, but it's cheaper and stronger. Heck yes.

Beavers, we need to ride this weekend. Friday afternoon-evening demo runs? I'm set at about 4:00.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Uh......
It's an hour from my house.

This is wierd........I'm like 50/50 between laughing and totally going off on how ill informed that statement is.

I'm making a conscious descision to stay cordial in the meantime:)
That must make you feel priviledged. I live 20 minutes from Santa Cruz, who gives a crap. I know you live in tahoe, it was more of a question on how can you go balls out fast in the rough stuff, and still charge the climbs without changing your seat height? I like to ride every day at race pace. I pretty much never "take it easy" on any downhill I'm riding. That said, I gotta have that seat super low so I can get way off the bike and lean it a bunch. I don't care how tall anyone is, it's all relative. You have to have a low seat to descend fast, and you have to have a high seat to climb fast. I don't like stopping at all to change my seat, and I hate waiting for Jeff Weed to adjust his seatpost. j/k buddy

To each his own. They are expensive for what you can accomplish without one, but for people who race and actually care about going real fast all the time, they're a necessity.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
but for people who race and actually care about going real fast all the time, they're a necessity.
Well then what did you and thousands of others do before maverick and gravity dropper started making these things? Ride slow? I doubt it. You probably did the same thing I do. On a descent like d'ville you lowered your seat a tad for the entire ride but not enough that it makes seated pedaling uncomfortable or inefficient.

I pretty much never "take it easy" on any downhill I'm riding. That said, I gotta have that seat super low so I can get way off the bike and lean it a bunch. I don't care how tall anyone is, it's all relative. You have to have a low seat to descend fast, and you have to have a high seat to climb fast..
But here's what you frequently seem to forget when you post on this board. There are OTHER PEOPLE out there who ride just like you do in the exact same manner on the exact same terrain who have very good reasons for a different bike setup than you. Yes I think most people including myself will admit that it's a little more comfortable with the seat out of the way but for the constant up and down of a lot of fun descents, it's not worth screwing around with a quick release OR an adjustable seatpost when the differences really aren't that great in how it affects bike handling. And that's obviously subjective. Just because YOU like it doesn't mean it's a necessity for everyone riding similar terrain.

I'll duct tape a split femur together before I ever resign to 'take it easy' on descent as well. Pinning downhills is 90% of why I ride bikes. What you seem to fail to understand is that if I genuinely thought it would improve the experience, I'd have one. I don't.

That doesn't mean I'm just not privy to some genius that only you and those with gravity droppers hold the secret to. And suggesting that I just don't ride downieville or similar rides enough because my opinion would be different if I had your wealth of knowledge of such areas is assinine.

As is usually the case when we butt heads: I'm glad you found a setup that benefits your riding. But it doesn't mean it's the end all be all for everyone else.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^Since 'Woo is probably not going to say it, I will: Dude is plenty fast regardless of his friggin seat height.

I also don't think these posts are really a "necessity," they're just nice to have.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
But here's what you frequently seem to forget when you post on this board. There are OTHER PEOPLE out there who ride just like you do in the exact same manner on the exact same terrain who have very good reasons for a different bike setup than you. Yes I think most people including myself will admit that it's a little more comfortable with the seat out of the way but for the constant up and down of a lot of fun descents, it's not worth screwing around with a quick release OR an adjustable seatpost when the differences really aren't that great in how it affects bike handling. And that's obviously subjective. Just because YOU like it doesn't mean it's a necessity for everyone riding similar terrain.

I'll duct tape a split femur together before I ever resign to 'take it easy' on descent as well. Pinning downhills is 90% of why I ride bikes. What you seem to fail to understand is that if I genuinely thought it would improve the experience, I'd have one. I don't.

That doesn't mean I'm just not privy to some genius that only you and those with gravity droppers hold the secret to. And suggesting that I just don't ride downieville or similar rides enough because my opinion would be different if I had your wealth of knowledge of such areas is assinine.
Spot-on. I have had one even. Not worth the trouble for some (including me and don[friend mentioned above with GD]).

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
And suggesting that I just don't ride downieville or similar rides enough because my opinion would be different if I had your wealth of knowledge of such areas is assinine.
Then how could you say it's a necessity for the Mega Avalanche and not Downieville. More or less, they're the same thing.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Then how could you say it's a necessity for the Mega Avalanche and not Downieville. More or less, they're the same thing.
Not really from what I've seen. I have no idea how many times I've ridden the standard d'ville descent but I've only seen videos of both the megavalanche courses.

There's no fall line scree field descending at downieville, nor bumping elbows with 30 people at a time, open off trail bombing through huge snow patches.......it looks WAY more rowdy. Both are also a lot longer than d'ville.

And just to be clear, I didn't say 'necessity,' just that I would probably use one.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
You probably did the same thing I do. On a descent like d'ville you lowered your seat a tad for the entire ride but not enough that it makes seated pedaling uncomfortable or inefficient.
Agreed.

But it also depends to a degree on the style your descending with....some DH'rs i ride with (on xc-ish trails) drop the seat all the time. They are trying to mimic full DH stlye.....others like me dont bother with it, just ride with a little higher center of gravity. It also depends how aggressively your bike is setup.....sometimes the seat has to be lowered alot to get the most out of it. If it's more of an xc setup it easier to reach the limits of the bike....

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Not really from what I've seen. I have no idea how many times I've ridden the standard d'ville descent but I've only seen videos of both the megavalanche courses.

There's no fall line scree field descending at downieville, nor bumping elbows with 30 people at a time, open off trail bombing through huge snow patches.......it looks WAY more rowdy. Both are also a lot longer than d'ville.

And just to be clear, I didn't say 'necessity,' just that I would probably use one.
balls out is balls out. it doesn't matter if there's people next to you or not.