Quantcast

Mavic 138

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Never have liked Mavics for mountain biking, they just don't seem to hold up and cost a lot. I've always had good luck with Bontrager rims, but they are hard to find.

Can't speak specifically on either model you have listed, just in general. Check the product reviews on MTBR and see what people are saying. :eek: Did I just say that?! :eek:

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by riderx
Never have liked Mavics for mountain biking, they just don't seem to hold up and cost a lot. I've always had good luck with Bontrager rims
Whoa, I'm confused. You've had better luck with Bo stuff than MAvic????:confused: Ok.

I TRASHED a set of Superstocks in just under a year. I ride very hard and with the straight lacing they payed dearly. I laced a set of XTR hubs to a set of 517's with a triple cross lacing and they are BOMB PROOF. I've put 950 miles on 'em and have to true them once!

Bontrager wheels are what I'd refer to as race or "light duty" wheels. I've never seen them hold up to abusive riding, or heavy weights for more than a year. Not true for Mavic. Just remember that with ultra light wheels you trade weight for durability. This is true for ALL wheelsets.

I have no idea about the 318's in particular. Ar they a close out deal or a new product?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Close outs I believe............

Went with the Superstocks. I weigh about 190, on my worst shape, about 180 normally.

I beat the piss out of 'em Sunday on some rocky muddy stuff!!!!

The held up pretty good!!!

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by Merwin5_10

Whoa, I'm confused. You've had better luck with Bo stuff than MAvic????:confused: Ok.

I TRASHED a set of Superstocks in just under a year. I ride very hard and with the straight lacing they payed dearly. I laced a set of XTR hubs to a set of 517's with a triple cross lacing and they are BOMB PROOF. I've put 950 miles on 'em and have to true them once!
I was speaking of my general experience w/ the 2 company's products. It's been a couple of years since I've ridden Bontragers, so they were not the Superlights.

I would never radial lace an MTB wheel. There's no real reason and triple cross is always going to be stronger. The Superstocks are also pretty light on the spoke count (24/28). If you want a strong rim, I wouldn't run less than 32 spokes. Comparing the Superstocks to 517's triple crossed is like comparing apples to oranges.

Personally I prefer Sun rims. Stronger and cheaper than Mavics, so what if they are a few grams heavier. I would rather ride a triple box rim than a piece of tin foil. Just my $.02

As Keith B. has said: "Strong, cheap, light. Choose any 2."

LoonyOne

Chimp
Aug 19, 2001
Iowa
The 138 rims are an older version of the 238 rims, which refers to the now unknown current rim. The 138 is a triple cavity rim that has two perfect, circular sections right at the sidewall. In sight-only, it looks geometrically more sound than the GREAT Sun Rhyno Lites. However, I assume there to be some reason that Mavic upgraded this rim...weight I would 'assume'. I currently ride Bontrager Mustang rims and have NOTHING bad to say about the rear wheel! However, the front, which happens to be radially-laced, is a big wanker. I don't know if it is the rim itself, or the radial lacing (I think this is it). I ride pretty damn hard with lots of drops over 3-4 feet. I think that if it is in your budget, go for it! A skilled wheelbuilder can make a good, strong wheel out of just about any rim/spoke/hub combo. The venerable 3X lacing pattern is the shiznit, as is...now I cannot find it in my favorites...I'll post the website when I find again...they call it 'Race Lace' pattern...i think it is a 3 or 4X pattern where the spoke heads are all facing out. Anyhew, as long as someone with some actual knowledge builds the wheels, I don't think strength is a big factor with MOST mountain bikers, unless you're looking to reduce the weight of the rolling mass, which, by the way, is THE number one way to improve your ride!!!!!!

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
ERRRR no the 138 is not an older version, it is a current Mavic product, the 238 was an old product that was too light and was replaced with the 138.It is mavics entry level mountain bike whih is not welded and does not have machined side walls.I have not riden on them but they have the same profile as a 221.But remember a good wheel is 90% down to a good wheel builder...:rolleyes:

perplex

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally posted by Banga
...But remember a good wheel is 90% down to a good wheel builder...:rolleyes:
Exactly!! I had the X138 rim on my bike and the first time I was out I broke a spoke. I then brougth the wheel-set to a really good wheel-builder, who replaced some of the spokes on my rear wheel with a thicker diameter (the left side spokes?) and thightened the rest of the spokes.

I then rode with the wheelset for two years (XC) and only now replaced it with a new wheelset. The wheels are still aligned but now the rims are of course a little worn.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I went with the Bontrager Superstocks.............so far so good..........

Yeah yeah I know...............they might not handle the abuse, but so far so good, and a few locals I know seemed to like 'em......so for 150.00, instead of 275.00, why not!!!!!

The hubs are great!!!!

Nizmeister

"Manchild"
Jul 3, 2001
As SK6 will be well aware, I use the MAVIC D521's and they are the pooooontang of all rims. well ,I think so anyway. I have been through rims like a bull through a field full of cows (no double entendres, please!) and the MAVICS are able to within my punishment. Although I have toned the cycling down a little recently.