Quantcast

Mavic 29er Rims - what to look for?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've always had good luck with Mavic rims in the 26" variety (219s, 317s)

how do Mavic 29er rims stack up? What model should I look for in considering a Mavic rim for the front end of a 69er project in the works?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Not really too many options there MMcG. I don't think any of them are really too bad but I seem to remember them all being a little narrow.

What's the big deal with Crossmax SLR 29s anyway? If one assumes them to be based on the 26" version then there are lighter and stiffer wheels available for less money and using standard components to boot. Score one for marketing.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Just kinda wondering Mike B.

I need to locate a real inexpensive front disc 29er wheel for this project I've got in the works - I'm trying to keep it as low budget as I can.

Anyone got an old disc front 29er wheel they don't need or want anymore???

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Just kinda wondering Mike B.

I need to locate a real inexpensive front disc 29er wheel for this project I've got in the works - I'm trying to keep it as low budget as I can.

Anyone got an old disc front 29er wheel they don't need or want anymore???
WTB has some budget options but I think you went down that road before. Did you try Mike Garcia for a price on something like a Velocity to WTB Laser Disc Lite? I don't think I have anything here that fits the bill. I've talked to plenty of people converting Open Pros, A719 and I think the previous model was the A317. I believe Mavic makes an A319 now which would be a lower priced rim.

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Pretty much the whole line of 700c Mavic rims have been in use since day one as Wes Williams was a big fan of the brand. The T series which were the cheaper versions back then morphed in to the A series.

Note that the A317 is the disc only version which replaced the T223. Be warned though that they are on the narrower side and the ever increasing casing sizes may or may not feel as good on them as the wider rims becoming available.

Sometimes cheap wheelsets come up on the 'bay featuring Mavic rims.