Quantcast

Mavic 821 rims

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sorry Mavic, your (less) narrow rims still fail.

http://nsmb.com/ibis-wide-rims-ride-review/

I have not tried the Ibis version yet, but I have ridden a fat bike rim laced to a normal bike. It was heavy, but the ride was amazing. 20 psi and made a trail bike stick like a DH bike.
So rims that are tough as shlt lose to rims you've never ridden that are 1mm wider.........

Okay you're probably talking about other ones :D

You think you really WANT a 35mm trail rim? I'm sure the grip is rad, but that's gotta make the bike roll a lot slower having that much more of the middle strip of the tire in constant contact with the ground.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So rims that are tough as shlt lose to rims you've never ridden that are 1mm wider.........

Okay you're probably talking about other ones :D

You think you really WANT a 35mm trail rim? I'm sure the grip is rad, but that's gotta make the bike roll a lot slower having that much more of the middle strip of the tire in constant contact with the ground.
I never got that fad. I run stans front, 823s back and I have no problems. A lot of the top pros run narrow rims and still do great but apparently wide rims are the new gearbox? Everyone wants one , almost no one had one.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Been riding i29 rims all spring on my trail bike. They are fast as sh*t. If you keep the psi the same as a skinny rim, the contact patch is a little wider but it's also a little shorter.

With a channelled tire and adult psi (30+), I am not hitting cornering knobs while rolling on hardpack, regardless.

The Tire's displacement surface area is the same with fixed psi and rider weight.... So With wider rims, you get the same climbing traction, better cornering performance, and LESS rolling resistance -- since you have 1 less knob length-wise in the dirt.

Try it, sh*t works.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I totally would but mavic doesn't make wide rims :rofl:

Are those i29s the scandium deals?
ha, fair enough! running american classic wide lightening aluminum rims actually. pretty legit rim @ 400g. not the stiffest, but way stiffer than you would think since the rim profile adds so much... but plenty of the sidewalk trails round'here.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I totally would but mavic doesn't make wide rims :rofl:

Are those i29s the scandium deals?
ha, fair enough! running american classic wide lightening aluminum rims actually. pretty legit rim @ 400g. not the stiffest, but way stiffer than you would think since the rim profile adds so much... but plenty of the sidewalk trails round'here.
gah. they also don't make just a rim, nor a 26" rim in that width.

I think the WTB 26" i25 will be my next rim... if I had unlimited funds, I'd like to try the i25, Flow EX and these 821 rims back to back.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Not really excited given the quality of their rims. I'd much rather test a 2014 Dartmoor Revolt.

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
yeah it would be another alternative. i like the rear hub from Dartmoor too.

Last edited: