Quantcast

Mavic 821?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I remember reading about it somewhere. Has anybody found any real information about it - cost, weight, design, availability? My two bike approval from Wifey is getting unlikely, so I'm looking at building up two build kits again. Hopefully I can make the costs for both clear as to a cheap DH bike being the better option.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=63714

New for 2014, the Mavic EN 821 UST Disc rim has the highest level of technology we have ever seen in a UST rim. This rim is 21mm wide, being a fantastic width for riders looking for strong, durable and slightly wider rims than a typical XC width. Very versatile, high tech, all mountain rim!

Maxtal Aluminum: An aluminum alloy that is 30% more resistant than a 6106 alloy, for lighter and stronger rims

SUP: Welded seam is then milled for a smooth finish. Extremely strong and balanced

ISM: Low inertia Inter Spoke Milling. Lighter rim and equal rigidity is the magic equation to reduce inertia and to free extra power for climbing. A Mavic patented exclusive concept.

Fore: Only one of the 2 rim wall is "drilled" : - the rim is 4 times more resistant to fatigue stress - 20% increase in the rim rigidity to transfer all of your energy to the ground

UST: Universal Standard for Tubeless. A better grip for tighter control. no more tube, no more rim tape: sounds to good to be true. The UST concept eliminates heat, friction and guarantees a smoother ride

Includes necessary grommets and tubeless valve stem

Disc specific

ERD: 532mm

Weight: 460g.
<edit> Looks good. Buck 'o five a hoop, sound buff.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Is it an actual all-mountain rim? Is EN above or below XM?
Page says: Mavic EN 821 UST Disc Rim 2014 - 26 Inch

<edit> Looks like they have an XM 819 on closeout.

XM 819 Disc is the only true UST rim available on the market. Stiff and durable, yet light, toped with the added benefit of riding tubeless.

Maxtal Aluminum: An aluminum alloy that is 30% more resistant than a 6106 alloy, for lighter and stronger rims

SUP: Welded seam is then milled for a smooth finish. Extremely strong and balanced

FORE: Only one of the 2 rim wall is "drilled" : - the rim is 4 times more resistant to fatigue stress - 20% increase in the rim rigidity to transfer all of your energy to the ground

UST: Universal Standard for Tubeless. A better grip for tighter control. no more tube, no more rim tape

Includes necessary grommets and tubeless valve stem

Disc specific

Weight: 450g.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mavic wheels are expensive. How would a DT Swiss XM450 or the Stan's Flow EX compare? I can set any up tubeless, so that's not an issue. Weight are all in the same range. Moreso about strength.

FT runs DT Swiss wheels with no apparent issues, but I haven't ridden anything except Mavic in years.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Mavic wheels are expensive. How would a DT Swiss XM450 or the Stan's Flow EX compare? I can set any up tubeless, so that's not an issue. Weight are all in the same range. Moreso about strength.

FT runs DT Swiss wheels with no apparent issues, but I haven't ridden anything except Mavic in years.
It would seem that the 821 will hold on to a tire better than the Flow EX under hard cornering and sideways landings. It's still a little narrow. Woo said in the other 821 thread that it looks like his Crossmax SX.

Masta Shake

Chimp
May 16, 2010
821 is essentially the rim from the SX wheels. They are in between the 819 and 823 in weight and width. They are also 200g lighter than the 823. They 823 is really a DH hoop. I am very excited to have a good quality UST rim available in the 21mm width.

As to the Stans, DT, etc I have very little faith in ghetto tubeless. I'll pay a little more for UST reliability.