Quantcast

Mavic 823 and 14mm nipples

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Is it possible to lace Mavic 823 rim with 14mm nipples? I know it is recommended to use 16mm nipples with that rim, and might be even impossible to use 12mm?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
16 is the prefered nipple for it. I just makes it easier.

With that said, if you have a patient wheel builder both 14 and 12 will work but it just makes it harder. They have to squeeze the spokes together to get the nipples to drop low enough for them to get the spoke wrench on them.

I have a pair of 823's laced to hopes with comp spokes and the stock 12mm nipples and it worked fine.

Also, just to note even though you probably already know. If you are using 16mm nipples instead of 12mm then you need to decrease your spoke length by 4mm. some people think that you use the same spoke length but it causes the spoke/nipple interface to be a little weaker since there won't be as much thread contact between them.

so for example - if you calculated 260mm spokes for 12mm nipples then you would buy 256mm spokes for 16mm nipples.

In the end, if you can get the 16mm nipples it will make things way easier to begin with.

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i built a set for myself using 12mm alloy nipples. It worked fine but after they had been ridden hard for a while having the 12mm nipples made them to be a pain in the ass to true. The spoke key could only get purchase on the end of the nipple and that coupled with alloy nipples ment they rounded easily and 2 years down the line became a bit of a nightmare. If i was building them again id use 16mm

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
i built a set for myself using 12mm alloy nipples. It worked fine but after they had been ridden hard for a while having the 12mm nipples made them to be a pain in the ass to true. The spoke key could only get purchase on the end of the nipple and that coupled with alloy nipples ment they rounded easily and 2 years down the line became a bit of a nightmare. If i was building them again id use 16mm
Same story. I've built a few wheelsets with 823s and the first set I tried to half ass and reuse spokes that were a little too long so I went with 12mm nipples to compensate. Because of the threaded inserts for the 823s they were slightly harder than normal to build. But when trying to true them after a few rides they were a nightmare. The next couple sets I built with 823s I made sure to use 16mm nipples. Make sure to use brass nipples as well, it's a DH wheelset after all.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I always use 12s. I always put the sockets and nipples on the spokes before putting the sockets in the rims. That way you can't drop them into the rim.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I decided to go with 721 rim after all, but thanks for the help anyway!
Youll dig the 721s mine are getting hammered pretty fast actually first run out it took several beatings 1 run.... Its got a couple of spots where the rocks tried to gouge through the aluminum, not even so much dents just nasty gashes...Sidewalls took a $hiton beating as well on tires so its not a rim issue...

They have held up so far and Ive been dropping stair gaps (sometimes to flat) etc letely, urban, jump/drop line and racing DH on them... Pretty happy so far Ive been deliberatley beating them to see... Cant say Ill run them again just yet but if they keep performing this way then I see no reason not to lace another set up... :thumb:

BTW 2.5 schwalbe muddy mary GG in freeride and DH casings tubeless no issues at all not even a burp,,, (remember in tubeless to use stans on outside bead in stead of soap and water, it will glue the tire to the strip allowing less pressure and reduce roll or burping... I was a bit afraid there would be some mounting issues between tire width and rim but NOPE all is good....

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Youll dig the 721s mine are getting hammered pretty fast actually first run out it took several beatings 1 run.... Its got a couple of spots where the rocks tried to gouge through the aluminum, not even so much dents just nasty gashes...Sidewalls took a $hiton beating as well on tires so its not a rim issue...

They have held up so far and Ive been dropping stair gaps (sometimes to flat) etc letely, urban, jump/drop line and racing DH on them... Pretty happy so far Ive been deliberatley beating them to see... Cant say Ill run them again just yet but if they keep performing this way then I see no reason not to lace another set up... :thumb:

BTW 2.5 schwalbe muddy mary GG in freeride and DH casings tubeless no issues at all not even a burp,,, (remember in tubeless to use stans on outside bead in stead of soap and water, it will glue the tire to the strip allowing less pressure and reduce roll or burping... I was a bit afraid there would be some mounting issues between tire width and rim but NOPE all is good....
I've been stuck on 721's for quite some time now.:thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I've been stuck on 721's for quite some time now.:thumb:
Pretty impressive for sure mine have been tattered pretty badley real fast but they are still true... Definently a solid rim Im waiting on how they fair over the next few months... I know if I case something that I can and have destroyed alot of rims so Im nt throwing that into the mix just the common smashings and hammering down....

How have yours faired???? Likes/dislikes etc....

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I usually get a season out of a rear 721 it's usually true but the sidewalls ding pretty easy. But as for the front I could have the same one for years. I've tried other rims but I wouldn't use anything else