Quantcast

mavic crosslands as a budget-friendly UST wheel?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Are the crosslands decent? They are heavy and use proprietary spokes (both negatives), but they are UST and reasonably priced (both plusses). Also, PricePoint is running a deal on them - $245 for the wheels and IRC Mythos UST tires.

Obvisouly this is not the ideal setup, but for UST rims and tires, $245 is kind of hard to beat. Any input on this wheelset?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
CChase86 said:
I would suggest looking at a build with XM819's and some hub you like. I paid $250 for my X3.1 UST's with Deore XT hubs two years ago and they're the best investment (aside from maybe my fork) that I've ever made.
That's obviously my first choice, but not exactly a budget friendly move. Looking at roughly $425 for the wheelset, plus $90 or so for tires. That's twice the price of the Crosslands. I realize the 819/onyx set is a better wheelset, but I'm looking for cheaper options.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I say go for it. Mavic isn't really known for making shoddy products at any price point. I have a Crossroc front wheel on my XC bike and it holds up just as well as the Hadley/X819 in the back.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Yah I agree with indieboy, go for em. they are cheap, they are mavic, and they use a mostly conventenal spoke design... anyshop that can get the wheels, can get you rplacement spokes.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
do you want some crosslands??? Then I got what you need. PM me for a way better price than Price Point. I'll even throw in some tires. Nokian NBX 2.3 or Specialized Enduro 2.2. Enduro's never been riden. Nokians ridden twice. About seven rides on the crosslands. Oh yeah, I weight 117 pounds. nothing to worry about.....

WarEagle2K

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Tucson, AZ
I just bought a set of the crosslands. Same reason...they were cheap. I just put them on and have about 35 miles on them so far. So far so good. I just rode the 19 mile sea otter classic course with them and didn't notice a diff between them and my non-disc brake rims. I would go for it if you are looking for a good product with and awesome price.