Quantcast

mavic crossmax xl's vs. king 321D???

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
Its time for a new wheelset and i have spokes and some mavic 321D rims layin around so it'd be around the same price...Just curious what y'all think.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
the hadley singlespeed hubs are just 50g heavier than the king singlespeed hubs. just some food for thought for people who think kings are way lighter.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Traditionally built wheels (king, hadley, hope, whatever) are way, way easier to true than the Crossmax's.
The crossmax's only have 28 spokes, so you have to tension the piss out of one and uber loosen another to get the wheel straight. The nips also require a special tool.

Replacement spokes are friggin expensive too.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Biscuit said:
Traditionally built wheels (king, hadley, hope, whatever) are way, way easier to true than the Crossmax's.
The crossmax's only have 28 spokes, so you have to tension the piss out of one and uber loosen another to get the wheel straight. The nips also require a special tool.

Replacement spokes are friggin expensive too.
Mabye you should learn to ride smoother so you don't bend your wheels in the first place.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The Crossmax wheel is a JOKE. Friggin expensive as crap..... Pain in the ass to True. Special tools needed to do so. And first time you Taco one youll wanna die when you see the money lost. I have seen two taco up and let me just say.... Its An explosion of wheel when they do... the spokes sttart coming apart out of the hub Very fast. There are Much Muich better wheel sets for the money

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i DO work at a shop.... Still wouldnt run them.....Loose too much tension and spoke pop out of the hub..... Nice flast spot cause you hit something... specially if your using them for competition. can mean Catastrophic failure in an instant....Maybe i dont like them so much because i have seen the aftermath and not the happening. I would still say money would be better spent elsewhere

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
maxyedor said:
Mabye you should learn to ride smoother so you don't bend your wheels in the first place.
You forgot to put a smilie behind that to soften the tone.
Since you didn't... I can't help but be hurt... inside.

:)

And I am a smooth rider. But when shat happens, it's nice if it's fixable.