Quantcast

mavic doubts

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
i´m gonna build some new dh wheels

i have a pair of hope pro ii hubs but i´m not sure yet which rims and spokes i´ll use

i was checking the mavic ex721 on the mavic website... how are they? strong enough? the website says the rim wights 590 grams... but i saw them on my local store and the weight was like 510 grams... so i don´t think the scale was that wrong anyone of you have a real weight for those rims?

and about the spokes... i´m thinking to use the dt revolution.... what do you think?

my goal is to get a pair of wheels under 2 kilos... hopefully 1.9 or 1.85

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
I use Azonic outlaws now, but I always had good luck with the higher end Mavic stuff. For the price, the outlaws blow away almost every other wheelset on the market. They're really tough wheels.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Whats your weight and riding style?
The 721s are indeed strong but they are also light.
This means they arent gonna last forever.
Ive been using them for the last couple of years and I need to replace them maybee once or twice a year, well just the rear rim...

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
once or twice a year? really?
IMO mavic is where it's at, i don't buy any other brand aftermarket. my 729s on my DH/FR bike are about three years old, the front has a dent and they're still pretty true. they're not going anywhere any time soon.
friends have 721 on their DH and DJ bikes, those wheels see some abuse and both are in great shape around 2 years old.
i guess the big question is strong enough for what? what do you want to do with these?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Once or twice a year under heavy DH usage on a SC v10 mono. A bike that isnt easy on rear rims imo.
Im not a WC rider but I do ok, i jump all the gaps and jumps, usually clean but i still get big dents in my rims and have even cracked a few completely. Probably cause has to do with riding style whioch is pretty agressive.
I still like m though since theyre so light and still strong...

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
strong enough for DH... i use to ride rocky stuff so i just need a rims that doesn`t dent as much as the MTX that i used a couple of years ago..

my weight it`s like 83 kilos.. (185-190 lbs) my riding style... i think i`m not too hard on the wheels... trying to avoid the contact with rocks..and also i don`t like big jumps.. or flat landings..

si i think i`ll buy the ex721.... but i`m not sure yet about the spokes....

i have 2 choises dt revolutions or dt competition.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Please tell me how you are going to build a sub 2000g wheel set with 1500g in rims????QUOTE]

it's 1190g...just bored and felt like correcting someone.

Anyways, DO IT! That's exactly what I run and I ride some gnarley trail every day. They hold up great. I've been running my set for a good 5 months now and they're still great.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
strong enough for DH... i use to ride rocky stuff so i just need a rims that doesn`t dent as much as the MTX that i used a couple of years ago..

my weight it`s like 83 kilos.. (185-190 lbs) my riding style... i think i`m not too hard on the wheels... trying to avoid the contact with rocks..and also i don`t like big jumps.. or flat landings..

si i think i`ll buy the ex721.... but i`m not sure yet about the spokes....

i have 2 choises dt revolutions or dt competition.

get the comps, your wanting a strong wheel, go with a 14guage spoke, your not saving that much weight by using DB spokes.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
once or twice a year? really?
IMO mavic is where it's at, i don't buy any other brand aftermarket. my 729s on my DH/FR bike are about three years old, the front has a dent and they're still pretty true. they're not going anywhere any time soon.
friends have 721 on their DH and DJ bikes, those wheels see some abuse and both are in great shape around 2 years old.
i guess the big question is strong enough for what? what do you want to do with these?

I too thought they weren't going anywhere, That was until my first day at Whistler on Dirt Merchant over shooting a table and landing between two jumps and the wheel tacoing. Sending me into the lip of the next jump poping my shoulder out.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
An 823 set up with a UST tyre is the same weight or lighter than a 721 with stans or XC tube.
823s are the best set up available for weight and strength IMO.
If you are massive or ride like a monster,you MAY burp them,but that's rare.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Carnaza - I've weighed a few 721's if you are interested.
I got weights of:
590g
580g
578g
I think my friend had a couple more that were in the same region (570-590g)

So they are pretty close to the claim usually, a bit less sometimes, but I don't think 510 is right. Your shop's scale must have been off.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Can confirm that my 823 rims are 722g & 725g. Built up with Pro2 hubs & supercomp rims & alloy nips into 1066g (20mm) & 1186g (150mmx12mm) wheels.

Personally I wouldn't use anything else, pretty light, and plenty strong. I've seen a lot of dented 721s.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
Carnaza - I've weighed a few 721's if you are interested.
I got weights of:
590g
580g
578g
I think my friend had a couple more that were in the same region (570-590g)

So they are pretty close to the claim usually, a bit less sometimes, but I don't think 510 is right. Your shop's scale must have been off.
thank udii i thought that too... ´cause the difference was too much ¡¡¡

sungletrack v/s ex721 v/s alex rims supra D mmmmmm all of them are under 600 grs.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Don't get the revolution spokes, if you really want to get the wheel under 2k then get Sapim spokes, you'll notice a lot of lateral flex with that thin of spoke, I just got a set for my road bike and that is the only place I'd use them.

That said, got UST, it doesn't matter if your wheelset weighs 2.2 or 2.3 kg with UST since you'll make it up by not using tubes. I was considering building a light weight single track laced to WTB superduty hubs but even with XC tubes and single ply tires the wheelset would have ended up maybe 1/3lb lighter than the same hubs with 823's and Minion 2.5's. The biggest difference though is you'll sacrifice a lot of durability in the tires and suffer more flats going with the light weight non-ust wheels.

Go UST instead.