Quantcast

Mavic Ex721 - Stiff enough for a hardtail?

Hi there,

After reading many positive reviews and hearing many buddies praise them as a great DH rim, I got a couple of Mavic EX 721 36 hole for my bike (pics at the end of the post), and now that I have them in my hands, a couple of doubts have arised...

First of all, the hole pattern. I know this might sound dumb, but I expected all the holes in the center of the rim, and they are drilled slightly offset the center of the rim in an alternate fashion instead, as you can see (the red line crosses the center of some holes, and is almost tangent to the others). Is this the way it's supposed to be? :confused:

My main fear, though, was how suitable were they for heavy use. While I've read many times they have one of the best strenght/weight ratios of DH rims, I have found quite a few comments of people complaining of how they got their rims dented or tacoed in a few rides also. And yes, I know it's a popular rim and it's logical it hasn't worked for some (and a few probably had a poorly built wheel in the first place).
I weight at least 90kg~200lb ready to run, plus 17kg~36.5lb of my hardtail bike (yes, it's a gravity slug). I don't do any serious drops, but I am moderately fast and somewhat rough.
Should I look somewhere else (like those massive MTX 39) or the mavics will do the job -and come back for more?

Sticker (small groove from the weld barely visible on the left, between "M" and "A" under the sticker)...

Weld...

Last edited:

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
I have used them on a few bikes now, and for my weight (150lbs) they hold up really well and I still use it on the back of my DJ/Urban hardtail. At your weight, on a hefty hardtail, and smashing into things, I might be a little weary on if they would hold up. If you have them, run them, blow them up, then consider different rims. You never know for yourself until you try!

As for the offset, that's normal. Helps build a stiffer, stronger wheel. Just make sure your builder is aware of this and builds it correctly.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
unless you are a OG fat to flat rider, or like go for big stair gaps urban, those things are super strong. skip any rim that is not welded urban IMO. they just split at the pin really quick.

DhDork, I imagine the offset was for that, but never really paid attention to it before, so it was new feature for me.
I just have the rims, so I'd have to get hubs, spokes and have them built - in the end, it will cost about the same of those MTX, so if they aren't going to last a couple of seasons, then I'd better sell them and buy something stronger in the first place. Oh, your "indestructible" rim suggestions are welcome!

daisycutter, I checked mavic's site and mtbr amongst others before the purchase. ;) Got the 721's because they were a bargain and seemed tough enough, as simple as that.
Some people argued about the 721 being stronger to certain impacts due to the vertical flanges, but most agree that the 729 is somewhat stronger overall. And I prefer durability and strength to weight savings...:think:

BTW, I said "weld" while I should have just said "joint", I don't really know if those are welded or pinned.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
IMO
The 721 is a strong rim, and resists denting fairly good. 729, is a stronger rim, but dents easier, 823 is stronger on both counts(as a wheel against folding, and against denting).
The down side to the 721 is that the diameter is smaller than that of a MTX33, so the tyres can blow off easier.
I'd keep the 721 for the front to save weight, and I doubt you'll hurt it easy. Keep the other as a spare. and put an 823 or MTX 33 out back.
The 721 is nice and narrow, giving a good tyre profile(for 2.5 and under).