Quantcast

Mavic in receivership

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
While I love dt hubs and some rims now let’s not forget when dt tried the proprietary wheel, Tricom or something like that. To me it was dt wanting to be mavic, at the time. It was short lived fortunately it had like three or four spoke lengths per wheel.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
For most of my biking life, I was never shopping for rims, I was just buying a Mavic (like Thomson for stems and Michelin for DH tires in the early 00's). I've had 221 (OEM), 521/721, 819 and 823. When I killed a 819 in 2014, went with NoTubes and never looked back.
I still have a front 819/DT240 on my Voodoo hardtail that is seeing a lot of Pokémon hunting action these days.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Heavy yes. Weak, not so much.
729s Definitly werent.
Went through 5 of those per DH season.
Lol.
I killed a few 729s, nothing special. 823 was the only good DH rim, still heavy though. The FR570 wipes the floor with both the 729 and 721, except it weighs the same as a 26" 721 in 27.5" size. Strong and light is impressive, strong and heavy is what anyone should be able to do.

Mavic is old news. Yeah I used them, mild respect for what they did, but they were just the best of an average bunch. Once DT ironed out issues they made rims strong and light, easily the best current alloy option and have been for the last 5+ years.

If you're talking the last 5-7 years sure.
Talking about current and relevant times, crazy right?
I'll keep my crackpipe and you can keep living in 2008.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What part of 'I haven't bought anything from mavic in 10 years just like everyone else' did you miss exactly :rofl:

Sorry about your literacy guy riding 6 year old dampers.

From my very first post in this thread it was pretty clear that i was talking about a company that used to make things better and then quit doing that.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
The D321 was about the only legit performance dh rim 20 years ago. Then their D3.1 UST rims were cutting edge 17 years ago...

And while the world kept iterating and improving, Mavic focused on making yellow shoes and clothes, and their wheels stayed stagnant with crappy hubs, wacky spokes, and what rapidly became heavy and narrow rims due to being over-invested Into the UST standard.

My tears for Mavic were shed back around 2010 with those grey SX wheels being so far off back compared to any good hub laced to a DT EX500 rim.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Fair, I've spent some time going through All Gas No Brakes' youtube discography so I kinda understand

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Mavic did have a cool product for mechanics, it was a Bottom Bracket that bolted together from each side, which worked great if the customer’s BB shell/threads were destroyed for some reason. I only saw one in the real world, though, but it made a very happy yo eddy customer who forced the wrong sides of his BB into the shell.
on BOTH sides.
he wasn’t a quitter.

I *think* this was it, but I was a NOOB, I didn’t do the install.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
.... and what rapidly became heavy and narrow rims due to being over-invested Into the UST standard.
I wish more companies would have jumped on the UST standard. These were the easiest tubeless tires to set up. No faffing with tape, you can replace a spoke w/o having to take tire and tape off. And if you account for the tape and all the shit people stuff into their tires right now to make them work, not burp, etc. a full UST setup is actually lighter.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm sorta sad because at some point I thought Mavic would release a hub with a central flange to help counter the negative effects of flanges being spaced further apart with superduperboost.

Somebody has to do it and I thought it would have been them.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm sorta sad because at some point I thought Mavic would release a hub with a central flange to help counter the negative effects of flanges being spaced further apart with superduperboost.

Maybe they didn't because it is patented: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20040222692A1/en

And it has been done before:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Maybe they didn't because it is patented: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20040222692A1/en

And it has been done before:
Well there you go, thank you sir.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Depending on the year, and how hard you are on wheels, you don't know what you were missing honestly.
One of the few wheels that I couldn't quickly destroy when I was still racing DH. Fucking beast of a wheel, but they just never moved forward with sizes. I'd still be riding them if they had.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Pretty lame that a company with so much history in cycling just gets left holding the bag like this, granted they’ve produced some questionable shit over the years but any company that’s been around any amount of time has. They also had a geologic time scale for change, but on the other hand; developed a good tubeless standard but refused to compromise on the design (which could be seen as either good or bad) which pretty much led to them continuing to play second fiddle in fannypack land. Can’t help but think if they’d made a few concessions on UST they’d probably be at the top of the game from royalties alone.

Our world of corporate buyouts and hedge funds, it’s all about the bottom line. If a company can’t turn a profit year over year they’re put out the pasture. Seems Michelin would be a good fit as far as parent companies go but I doubt they’d ever do it. Kind of a guaranteed loss leader. They may go the way of Schwinn and become just another Wal-Mart brand.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
guys, they aren't going out of business. they're catching up with the industry they helped define.
I bet they negotiate out of a ton of debt, maybe change leadership. They have the carbon thing dialed on their road rims.
Mavic is a brand that people will pay a premium price for, like ZIPP or Campy.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
guys, they aren't going out of business. they're catching up with the industry they helped define.
I bet they negotiate out of a ton of debt, maybe change leadership. They have the carbon thing dialed on their road rims.
yea I know they aren’t going out of business but being in receivership leaves them hanging in the wind, the first company that comes along with money will become their new corporate overlords. Also weird that AMER divested themselves only the first place, guess they saw ENVE as their cash cow for that category. Easier to keep a lid on than a bunch of Frenchies?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Laying people off in France is HELLA expensive to the point of being essentially impossible.

My guess is that Amer/Salomon letting Mavic go to receivership is just them gaining a government sanctioned (ie way less expensive) way to trim the HR department.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's worked out well for mongoose. I can get them in any number of fine retail establishments with nationwide coverage now.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
It's worked out well for mongoose. I can get them in any number of fine retail establishments with nationwide coverage now.
My thoughts exactly. Someone will buy them up while the name still has value and start pushing a new line of generic catalog products with the Mavic name stenciled on. @marshalolson how would it work when a company is totally insolvent and on the verge of bankruptcy as far as laying people off?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My thoughts exactly. Someone will buy them up while the name still has value and start pushing a new line of generic catalog products with the Mavic name stenciled on. @marshalolson how would it work when a company is totally insolvent and on the verge of bankruptcy as far as laying people off?
Nextie should buy the name.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
@marshalolson how would it work when a company is totally insolvent and on the verge of bankruptcy as far as laying people off?
Onward with internet speculation!

I actually worked for Salomon when they acquired Mavic (2003). At the time Salomon was owned by Adidas. Adidas sold Salomon, along with Mavic as Salomon’s subsidiary, to Amer (2005).

Interesting that Mavic stopped innovating around this time too. To my knowledge, Mavic has been a legal subsidiary of Salomon ever since. While Mavic *may* be insolvent, neither Salomon nor Amer are.

My guess is legal proceedings (this receivership process) will occur to determine if Salomon can “sell” Mavic to Amer for essentially nothing (simply assuming existing debt), with a corresponding restructure (laying off lots of people), by making the argument that Salomon assuming the debts of Mavic would put undue risk on Salomon, jeopardizing both companies, and that selling the Mavic brand on the scrap heap would cost way more French jobs than the restructuring plans.

My personal read is this is opportunistic (hammering through restructure plans that had long been in place) rather than reactionary.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Onward with internet speculation!

I actually worked for Salomon when they acquired Mavic (2003). At the time Salomon was owned by Adidas. Adidas sold Salomon, along with Mavic as Salomon’s subsidiary, to Amer (2005).

Interesting that Mavic stopped innovating around this time too. To my knowledge, Mavic has been a legal subsidiary of Salomon ever since. While Mavic *may* be insolvent, neither Salomon nor Amer are.

My guess is legal proceedings (this receivership process) will occur to determine if Salomon can “sell” Mavic to Amer for essentially nothing (simply assuming existing debt), with a corresponding restructure (laying off lots of people), by making the argument that Salomon assuming the debts of Mavic would put undue risk on Salomon, jeopardizing both companies, and that selling the Mavic brand on the scrap heap would cost way more French jobs than the restructuring plans.

My personal read is this is opportunistic (hammering through restructure plans that had long been in place) rather than reactionary.
But but, internet speculation is my favorite pastime! In all seriousness though I was just going off the part of the op’s article that said AMER already sold off Mavic to “M sports” a company that doesn’t seem to even exist.
9D0DC329-1A3E-4B7E-955B-4A175D3EC282.jpeg

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
You are right. Stinks a heck of a lot.
The whole Regent / M-sports thing is crazy.

Another article covering similar ground, that really shows how messy this thing is:

Like literally wtf.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It speaks volumes that Mavic made their downhill wheels yellow. A color that means a lot on road bikes and absofuckinglutely nothing for downhill.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Interesting that Regent supposedly owns Diamondback/ Redline. Hopefully they aren’t facing the same fate. I’m not rushing out to buy anything from either of them but people losing jobs so lizards can buy bigger yachts isn’t that sweet imo.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.

Are there negative effects? Or is that just sarcasm I missed before I've had morning coffee?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Are there negative effects? Or is that just sarcasm I missed before I've had morning coffee?
The spokes would be under slightly more strain with axial loads, I'd imagine a rigger or an E engineer would be able to work out some numbers, doubt it would be much.

When searching for Superboost Plus hubs I came across Trailmech, it's completely unrelated but there is some pretty nice info on different types of hub engagement.

1589196063520.png