Quantcast

mavic its4 preload

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
Hallo!
I have a a mavic wheelset with the its 4 system, that uses a preload adjuster.

In the end of the video, it indicates how to preload correctly the bearings.

1. when adjusting the preload, the video indicates to stop when contact happens. what does this mean? When you feel the cap engaging the hub body?

2. if i put very little preload, then it will spin almost friction free? is there any danger in little preload?

3. is it normal to have a klunk sound-lateral play- with the preload set? Cause if i eliminate the lateral play, there is quite some drag in the spin. To be honest, if i preload it as indicated in the video (when you feel the cap engaging the hub body, you release 1/8 turn), i get some lateral play.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've always preloaded my Mavic hubs about a half turn past contact. I've never gotten them to stay tight without that 1/2-3/4 turn, and I've been running the same bearings on my road bike for like 7 million miles so I don't think it's causing premature wear.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
What both of them said^^ ^^

Crossmax SX, Ksyrium SLR and R-Sys SLR all behaving like that.

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
I've always preloaded my Mavic hubs about a half turn past contact. I've never gotten them to stay tight without that 1/2-3/4 turn, and I've been running the same bearings on my road bike for like 7 million miles so I don't think it's causing premature wear.
With that 1/2 turn past contact, did you get zero lateral play (no klunk when moving the wheel side to side with your hand)?

Also, With that 1/2 turn past contact, did you get a nice spin from the wheel? I am having about 1 turn past contact, but the free spin is night and day compared to hope pro hubs... (in another bike)

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
With that 1/2 turn past contact, did you get zero lateral play (no klunk when moving the wheel side to side with your hand)?

Also, With that 1/2 turn past contact, did you get a nice spin from the wheel? I am having about 1 turn past contact, but the free spin is night and day compared to hope pro hubs... (in another bike)

Zero play that I can feel.

They're definitely not as free-spinning as other hubs. Not sure how to quantify it exactly, but a typical wheel on a Hope/King/hadley/i9 hub will spin for a while in the stand if you crank it up to speed , a Mavic will spin for a bit, but come to a stop much, much faster than you're probably used to.