Quantcast

Maviv X3.1 Rim Gouge

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I just got my new set of ust wheels. When they arrived, in addition to two nicely bent spokes - I was rewarded with this nice rim gouge. The gouge was the result of wheels being shipped in an unsecure manner.

I am pretty sure I can smooth it down with some emery cloth but I am concerned that it might effect the seating of the tire or be a source of air loss...

Any thoughts? :confused: :confused: :confused:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Colin
I'd send those back. It looks bad enoght to where you might have a problem.
ME TOO. That's crap anyway. Poooor poor poor on them. :nope: :nope: :nope:

EMAIL THEM THIS THREAD TOO.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
He basically already told me I was screwed, he'll 'work' with me if it does not hold air. Said I would have to contact the Post Office for any recourse... Priority Mail, uninsured of course. :rolleyes: Been there and done that a few times before.

So you pays your money and takes your chances... karma for not buying locally.

What do you think about smooting it out with an emery cloth?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Serial Midget
He basically already told me I was screwed, he'll 'work' with me if it does not hold air. Said I would have to contact the Post Office for any recourse... Priority Mail, uninsured of course. :rolleyes: Been there and done that a few times before.

So you pays your money and takes your chances... karma for not buying locally.

What do you think about smooting it out with an emery cloth?
If you're truly screwed, try whatever you can. Sucks bad though. I'd be raging and MAKE them give me my money back. It's not the Post Offices' fault they packed poorly. Talk to his boss. Don't give up.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
If it was do to improper packaging then I'd bitch until I atleast got a new rim. I sure wish people took the time to pack things so that they arrive in the condition they'd expect THEIR products to come in.

Hope that made sense.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by spincrazy
Talk to his boss. Don't give up.
It was the shop owner I spoke with... I found them through RM and the seller had good refs. A regular bike shop. I paid $190.00 for the set. I'll see what I can do but with the past experience I've had in similar situations (eBay deals gone bad)... as soon as they blame it on the Post Office you know you are screwed.

Yarg!!! If it was cosmetic I wouldn't care - I'll bash them up soon enough anyway. Very disappointing. :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Colin
If it was do to improper packaging then I'd bitch until I atleast got a new rim. I sure wish people took the time to pack things so that they arrive in the condition they'd expect THEIR products to come in.

Hope that made sense.

Perfect sense. I ship about 20 or 30 items a month - so much easier to pack it right than deal with damage in transit. Passing the back instead of stepping up... poor form.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It would probably hold air with a little smoothing but I certainly would not risk it. They are supposed to be new and they should arrive new.

But if you have to put up with it a little Stans sealant or similar goop should make is seal. I would recommend using a sealing with any tubeless tire.

AssHelmet

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by spincrazy
edit: Lucy is probably still living in your shed isn't she?
NO! Lucy has been evicted!!!

If the rim seals and holds air without the aid of sealant then I will forget the whole deal. If there is a problem then I think a replacement rim sould be sent gratis. I'll have it rebuilt locally...

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Did you pay by CC? If so it's easy to stop the payment. The threat of that is often enough to get the seller to do the right thing.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by fonseca
Did you pay by CC? If so it's easy to stop the payment. The threat of that is often enough to get the seller to do the right thing.
Cashiers check at the request of the seller.

I have smoothed the gouge out and the rim seems to hold air fine. I have definately learned my lesson. Again. :(

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Cashiers check at the request of the seller.

I have smoothed the gouge out and the rim seems to hold air fine. I have definately learned my lesson. Again. :(
Dude,

I'm shocked at the way this shop treated ya. And they knew you are a RM Regular too right? Geez!

That sucks big time.

If I were you I'd contact the other monkeys who know this shop well and tell them what's been going on.

It's just not right to receive the wheelset in that condition.